smoke pouring out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sjc33

Dec 9, 2014
st louis
Hello,
We have just moved to a new home with a Castile fireplace insert. The old owners neglected to leave a manual, but I have figured out much from this forum, so thanks!

I have successfully lit the fireplace only once and smoke poured out of the round tubes in the front. That was over a month ago and the smell still lingers. The glass turns black, smoke escapes, and the fire is huge no matter the setting. I've been banned from lighting it for the time being as the house currently smells like a campfire. But, when the weather is frightful, a fire is so delightful. So, I've turned here for help.

Everything I know about the fireplace I've learned from the internet. I'd never even seen a pellet fireplace until about a month ago! I'm also NOT very mechanically inclined or knowledgable about technical terms. I just learned the terms "clinker" and "snap disc," for instance.

Why does it smoke so much? Does it need to be cleaned? How do I clean it? I should also mention that sometimes I have to physically touch the fuse button to get the red light to turn on. Does that mean the fuse is bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated. This forum has been a godsend, but some of the answers are too technical for a newbie like me!

I think your heat exchanger is toast, no smoke should be coming out of those tubes. Hope somebody with more knowledge on them can clear it up quick.

The exchanger could be fine, if things weren't cleaned out or the new owner even moved the unit at all, it is possible to light the stove and for the convection air system to dump smoke into the room.

Get a copy of the installation manual, read it cover to cover including all the warning, cautions, and tips. That unit needs a full cleaning and reinstall just for starters, if during the cleaning you find bad gaskets or anything else post here or get a Quadrafire service person over to look at it.

Reactions: alternativeheat
I think your heat exchanger is toast, no smoke should be coming out of those tubes. Hope somebody with more knowledge on them can clear it up quick.
Well not necessarily, the venting could be plugged or broken and the convection fan is picking up the smoke from inside the fireplace and distributing it out through the heat exchanger tubes. The stove and venting needs to be checked out by someone who knows what they are doing and what to look for, IMO. Then if the OP want to learn from there fine. But lets make sure this thing is safe first ( apparently and obviously it's not right now).

Find a reputable dealer in your area and ask them to come out and give the stove a top to bottom cleaning and inspection.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Hello, and welcome to the pellet forum ! Lots of Quad / Castile owners on here, which will be easier for them to jump in to help if you include your stove brand and model in your thread title - ie 'Quad Castile pouring smoke', etc, then that will catch the eye of folks who can often most help.

X 2 on Smokey's suggestions - here's an on-line manual page - depending on your particular model and production year you can download the correct manual, which will have the basics of cleaning and troubleshooting. http://www.quadrafire.com/Owner-Resources/Install-and-Owners-Manuals.aspx

Quadrafire has some good videos on operation and maintenance as well here: http://www.quadrafire.com/Owner-Resources/Use-and-Care-Videos/Castile-Pellet-Insert.aspx

You're in a tough place to start on the pellet stove ownership 'odyssey', IMO, being new to pellet stoves, inheriting a used stove with an unknown install or maintenance history, and being less mechanically inclined.

This forum can certainly help you be an informed consumer, and a pellet stove fire is indeed delightful, but getting CO poisoning or burning your house down around you in the process isn't ! (My Paramedic - emergency services profession side talking here) !

I concur with Tim from MA and alternativeheat to contact a local Quad dealer or independent stove tech to get them to come out and inspect the venting (obviously a major safety issue w/ smoke / CO), and do a thorough cleaning and stove overhaul.

Safety first, for you and your family, then DIY self-sufficiency can come second !

Last edited by a moderator:
It should be inspected. But also if this stove has been sitting for some time unused the vent could be covered intentionally so as to keep critters and bugs out.

Reactions: bogieb
Get a reputable service man to go thru it all. It will be well worth it for a safe stove. Have him show you how to maintain it. Watch everything he does. Sounds like exhaust is plugged somewhere. Then come on here to keep informed. kap

Definitely agree with others. You are a newbie and not mechanically inclined. You must have a professional clean and inspect the stove and install. Once you can start enjoying your stove, the forum guys are a wonderful source of information and encouragement, and you will love the stove and next year you will be giving advice back to us!

I have no idea how an insert works because I have a stand alone. But is it possible that the previous owner could have left the flue damper closed ? If so then the convection blower would be picking up all the smoke that's suppose to go up the chimney.

They work the same way

Usually when an insert is installed, most of that is removed to allow for the exhaust pipe and also sometimes the oak. kap

Ditto on getting a pro to check this unit out. One simple call, a few dollars, and potentially many years of enjoyment, warmth and savings. Failing to do that could be a fire in your new home. Get a foundation of safety and some basic knowledge. Much easier to learn from there.

I agree with most everybody. Since you have said you have no mechanical ability, you must find someone knowledgeable about YOUR stove in your area and pay the price for a thorough inspection starting at the top of the chimney at the cap all the way down. Heck, with that much smoke, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the flue pipe is not even connected to the stove. If it were just clogged up, you wouldn't even get a fire since there would be little or no vacuum to trip the switch to feed pellets. Did you prime the stove with pellets before the first aborted attempt?
In any event, you have a very pretty place to put some pots or plants until someone comes who knows what they are doing. That is NOT an easy task to find that person. When they come, follow them like a hawk and watch EVERYTHING THEY DO and make SURE they know about YOUR stove. No BS allowed.

X2 on everything... Keep us informed on how you make out.

Welcome to the forum and get some smoke and CO detectors for your new house. The CO detectors are important to have not only for the pellet stove but also the furnace!
Keep you and your family safe:)

Youtube is another avenue to do some searching and watching. The main thing to learn at first in the videos between that and the manual is what is what and where to look for it before you start trying to find it in your stove. A person with very little mechanical aptitude mixed with curiosity AND the patience to watch think and learn can still do fine. Pay attention to where things are in the videos and terminology and then start paying attention to how the fire looks as in how active it is and everything. I have had my Castille for 4 seasons now and still occasionally look something up in here or on youtube for comparison or whatever.

I would say have a professional go through the stove and watch and learn or watch videos and read the manual carefully and either way, be patient with it and yourself.

Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.