Smoke problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Smokeyhouse

Feb 14, 2021
Vt
Hello - I am staying at a friends place. I have successfully used the fireplace before (with permission of course). Now when I try to light a fire smoke came through the front vents into the room instead of up the flue. It has a damper pull AND a lever on the front which I pushed to the right before starting. I also used a rolled newspaper to warm up the flue as I do at home. The box has baffles but I do feel cold air coming into it. Any suggestions?

89554E14-C483-46BA-8CED-0FBCB9C96956.jpeg 0BC4A994-A49E-4B83-ADB0-B9D238E283FF.jpeg C9151DAE-B30D-47F4-A095-F33AB70C543A.jpeg 1296581F-368E-4147-9BCA-438426B07BB4.jpeg

Might need to warm up the flue, but first that 3d secondary tube needs to be put back into the correct location. Then, you could try a propane torch or hair dryer over the baffle for a few minutes or light some candles in the firebox and let them burn for 15-30 minutes.

Thanks - my thought was an issue with the damper but I will try out this out to warm the flue. At first I couldn’t seem to get the secondary tube in place, I didn’t want to force it, any suggestions?

The stove should have a liner attached to it, making that damper unusable. If the insert is just thrown in there without a liner it could be a very unsafe situation.

Are you sure pushing the damper lever to the right doesn't close it? Try the other direction just to be sure.

I have to crack open a nearby window and used some newspaper to get things moving in the right direction.

I wonder what brand/model that unit is? I'm not so sure it's an insert, strictly speaking. It seems to have a big firebox lined with refractory panels rather than firebrick.

It’s a Vermont Castings Montpelier insert. Are you talking about the fireplace damper above the stove? Or a damper on the stove itself?

If its the fireplace damper then that insert is definitely not installed properly and is unsafe to use. As said above it should be venting into a liner not right into the chimney. Perhaps it's a key damper? Weird spot for the control though...usually hard to get those on an insert and why would they bother with one if they have draft issues in the first place.

It’s a Vermont Castings Montpelier insert. - that’s correct I just googled it and it’s the same brand. It was recently put in, I’m assuming it was done correctly.

We got in after dark last night when I tried to light the fire. When we left the house this morning I noticed about 2 ft of snow on top of the chimney!! This has to be my problem, right?

If its the fireplace damper then that insert is definitely not installed properly and is unsafe to use. As said above it should be venting into a liner not right into the chimney. Perhaps it's a key damper? Weird spot for the control though...usually hard to get those on an insert and why would they bother with one if they have draft issues in the first place.
That’s the damper that goes to the fireplace, I’m betting its unhooked, the handle slides but doesn’t do anything.

Last edited:
For reseating the burn tube:
Slide it first to the right and then into the mating hole on the left. Secure it in place with a stainless steel cotter pin. Look at the other burn tubes to judge the size of the cotter pin needed.

It’s a Vermont Castings Montpelier insert. - that’s correct I just googled it and it’s the same brand. It was recently put in, I’m assuming it was done correctly.

We got in after dark last night when I tried to light the fire. When we left the house this morning I noticed about 2 ft of snow on top of the chimney!! This has to be my problem, right?
A picture of the chimney top will help. Is there a stone cap on it?

For reseating the burn tube:
Slide it first to the right and then into the mating hole on the left. Secure it in place with a stainless steel cotter pin. Look at the other burn tubes to judge the size of the cotter pin needed.

A picture of the chimney top will help. Is there a stone cap on it?
Here is a picture of the chimney. I’m guessing it hasn’t been used since I was last here in December. Not sure if there is a stone cap on it just plenty of snow and ice.

Attachments

• 2496CB43-933A-4CD1-999B-2E2D475986DE.jpeg
    2496CB43-933A-4CD1-999B-2E2D475986DE.jpeg
    314.1 KB · Views: 106
  • AD02BB58-BE1C-47A7-93E8-7B34F13F7BC0.jpeg
    AD02BB58-BE1C-47A7-93E8-7B34F13F7BC0.jpeg
    346.2 KB · Views: 103
Looks like it's completely plugged with snow and ice. I bet there's some serious reverse drafting going on and I don't think you're going to get anything hot enough in the firebox to melt that without smoking yourself out. I don't think it's going to be possible to burn in there until the chimney is cleared off.