Smoke shelf

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Blich235

Nov 3, 2023
Youngstown ohio
For those of you here that may be familiar with standard fireplace building methods here, what is the acceptable depth of the smoke shelf from the damper opening?

For those of you here that may be familiar with standard fireplace building methods here, what is the acceptable depth of the smoke shelf from the damper opening?
You really don't need any shelf at all. Fireplaces work much better without them

I get that viewpoint. Im going to install an insert and im doing some preliminary work beforehand and would just like to restore it to original condition. So far ive done the chimney crown and shoulders with concrete, sealed flashing, cleaned the flue and smoke chamber, and im also going to parge it smooth with chambercoat, though not needed for an insert, more for my piece of mind and in case i ever want to go back to using it as a fireplace again. I plan of removing the damper and damper housing so i can stand up inside to do it. It seems my smoke shelf or lack there of comes down about 9" from the damper opening. Can i lay some firebrick down in there and mortar or use chambercoat on top to restore the shelf?

I get that viewpoint. Im going to install an insert and im doing some preliminary work beforehand and would just like to restore it to original condition. So far ive done the chimney crown and shoulders with concrete, sealed flashing, cleaned the flue and smoke chamber, and im also going to parge it smooth with chambercoat, though not needed for an insert, more for my piece of mind and in case i ever want to go back to using it as a fireplace again. I plan of removing the damper and damper housing so i can stand up inside to do it. It seems my smoke shelf or lack there of comes down about 9" from the damper opening. Can i lay some firebrick down in there and mortar or use chambercoat on top to restore the shelf?
You are most likely going to need to remove part of that area for the liner anyway so I certainly wouldn't bother. But yes you can lay brick there and make it flush with the damper

When I am rebuilding them I typically angle the shelf up as much as possible to eliminate as much turbulence there as I can

removing whole or just a part of the shelve is okay to bring the SS flex liner? I'm working on my fireplace right now and the shelve is on the way of the liner.
Yes

Reactions: ruSSrt