Smoke smell - door gasket?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burnt03

Feeling the Heat
Oct 30, 2011
Peachland, BC, Canada
New burner, been burning for the past week.

Have it turned down right now (about 1/2 air) and getting a bit of a smoke smell downstairs.

Noticed that the door doesn't seem to latch as tightly as before (bottoms out, never seemed to do that before).

Can a worn door gasket cause this?

Is it a new stove? Is there anything about the setup of this stove that is new or changed? How old is the gasket? Have you done any painting?

Used stove, bought it from a house flip down the street.

Nothing is new or changed, no painting etc.

As for how old the gasket is... I have no idea... I guess it might be a good idea to change it on that basis alone. Haven't had a chance to try to tighten up the latch yet, waiting for the fire to burn down.

How is your draft? Is your wood dry?

Do you still smell it when the damper is open all the way?

Do you have any black areas on your glass indicating an air leak?

Matt

I'm not sure if you have done anything after getting the stove but a suggestion may be to go through the stove thoroughly and check everything for damage, warps, needed reapirs, gasket leaks etc...I know paint and sometimes dust from the stove sitting will cause a little bit of smoke when it's used again after some time off

It just dawned on me that you might want to check the bolts that hold the door on. They can wear and change the way the door fits on the hinges.

If all is running right, your draft should stop any smoke from coming out the door.

Matt

Draft is good, even when I first start it up the majority of the smoke would be drawn up the chimney. Wood is dry. Have been burning 24/7 this week, everytime I check the chimney there's pretty much no smoke coming out. The smell does seem a bit less with the air control all the way open.

Had a sweep go through the stove to take a look at it and they said it was in good shape.

No bolts holding the door. Stove side hinges are welded on and the door just has pins that slide down into them.

Oh yeah, there's a quarter sized black mark on the glass at the bottom hinge side from last nights burn. Otherwise, it's clear and has been since I started burning.

Got brave and adjusted the door down a bit, feels a bit better.

Will it work to test it while it's burning by turning down the air control a bit, lighting an incense stick and running it around the door to see if it draws the smoke at all?

looks like you have narrowed things down a bit. Work on the door and the gasket and see if the dollar bill (or in your case Queen Elizabeth??) test will show you anything

The bill seems pretty tight but noticed this mark earlier today... guess I should replace the gasket eh?

img3523l.jpg

I don't know if I would worry about that so much. It looks like a log was too close to the glass. If you clean it off and that spot comes back there I'd think about a new gasket.

Matt

I had a little smoke smell today as well. i then noticed during fire up I had a little bit coming out around the 6-8" adapter colar at the top of my stove pipe. Everything is either brand new or one season old and all Dura Vent so I am sure ot was related to the crazt 25+mph winds we are having today. I plan to let it burn out and pull it apart to inspect it tomorrow. I may add a little Rutlands to seal it better but as long as I keep it running well(hot) it is doing just fine.

I will second trying to fluff it up for now and replace it when you can. Especially because it is at the bottom of the door.

My wife is Canadian as well, we both like Bubbles too :)

Wouldn't hurt to replace the gaskets all around

The bill seems pretty tight but noticed this mark earlier today... guess I should replace the gasket eh?
Can't tell what that mark is from here, but to the right it looks like the gasket is lifting out of the channel. If the gasket is still soft and resiliant, you could check the perimeter for any spots where it is loose and glue it back down...

The spot on glass may mean your sucking some air from a bad gasket. But air should be sucked in through a bad gasket not smoke pouring out? That would mean you have no draft in the chimney and there is pressure causing the smoke to find its way out of the door. A bad door gaskets causes higher burn rates as your over airing the fire, also dark spots on glass as the air wash does not work right.

After tightening up the door and fluffing up the gasket, seems to seal better now. Get a bit of smoke smell but only on reload if still have any flames in the box so I think that's normal (most of the smoke goes up the chimney but seem to get a few small wisps into the room).

I think I'll probably buy a gasket and keep it ready to go. Do you guys use gasket cement or high temp silicone to attach?

Status
Not open for further replies.