Smoke, smoke, everywhere, what's a burner to think?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
So, I'm about to go to the gym and I realize all three stoves are at the tail end of their burn cycle. The Vig is going to cool down because I need to replace a hinge pin, and it's just not needed (I write this wearing a tank top and it's 19 degrees out), and the Encore still had a good hour or two before it went below 300. The Heritage, though, was further along than the others so I threw four large splits in and set my wife up with a cooking timer and directions as to what to do to get the Heritage up to 450+ degrees.

Off to the gym I go.

An hour and a half later I pull into the driveway to smoke everywhere. Enough that I can see it part ways as I pull through it. Keep in mind, I hate smoking. Not for any environmental reason, but just out of politeness. With three stoves I just feel like a D-bag smoking out the neighbors. So I run in and check the stoves. The Vig is at 250 and living off of some coals, the Encore is at 350 with a bed of coals and the Heritage is at 450 with secondaries.

What the hell? How is there smoke?

So I grab the flashlight and I get outside pointing the damn thing at each chimney. There is so much smoke that I can't tell which chimney it's coming from. I make a second pass and I get to the Heritage's chimney and I notice the smoke seems to be coming from beyond that chimney, which is impossible due to the layout (there isn't anymore house or chimney for smoke to come from!). I follow the smoke across the street and I find the source.

It's my neighbor. His Woodstock Fireview is smoking like an old lady at the $5 black jack tables in Atlantic City.

Damn smoke dragons! :lol:

north of 60 said:
I didn't know Todd and Dennis were your neighbours. Damn CAT stoves. :coolgrin:

I blame Woodstock, the catalytic Encore is smokeless! :)

Just priceless.

"Just turn on the cat."

north of 60 said:
Must be Dennis's wet wood again. :lol:

Seriously! He'll get the hang of this soon or later!

BrotherBart said:
Just priceless.

"Just turn on the cat."

I let out a good laugh when I realized where it was coming from. I don't care if my neighbors smoke, I just hate it when it's me.

It still blows my mind that you have 3 stoves....I would like to witness your schedule on the coldest day of the year...
It must be interesting :lol:

GAMMA RAY said:
It still blows my mind that you have 3 stoves....I would like to witness your schedule on the coldest day of the year...
+1 I know you must have mentioned it some where but how many sq ft do you heat?

oldspark said:
GAMMA RAY said:

Not as many as you would think! W/ the temps I've heard him talk about, I'd think you could just about bake biscuits on his coffee table.

Had to laugh at your situation. Every now and then I'll catch a whiff and walk out to look at the chimney. About then I'll peek around the house and sure enough, it's the neighbor burning the wood he split yesterday :-S

pen

oldspark said:
GAMMA RAY said:

BBar's pad is 2150 square feet....

oldspark said:
GAMMA RAY said:

2,150 square feet in a drafty, non-open, L-shape floor plan. No basement, either.

GAMMA RAY said:

The schedule is a lot easier this year, than last year.

GAMMA RAY said:
oldspark said:
GAMMA RAY said:

BBar's pad is 2150 square feet....

Gold star for remembering!

Even those damn Woodstocks will belch a lot of smoke if you forget to engage the cat, don't ask me how I know. :lol:

BrowningBAR said:
north of 60 said:
Must be Dennis's wet wood again. :lol:

Seriously! He'll get the hang of this soon or later!

Some of us learn slowly! :lol: ;-)

Someone around hear is a bad smoker but I haven't figured out who. There are a few times this year I went outside to check my chimney and the smoke is thick, I look at mine and don't see anything. Giving the wood in my back yard, I'm a little self conscience and afraid I'm going to get blamed for it. I'm hoping all my neighbors believe that no smoke = no fire so they think I'm not burning when the smoke is thick. It freaks me out, keep thinking I grabbed wood from the wrong stack or something.

My neighbor laughs when I see him and tell him the species of wood he was burning the night before. The birch is a dead giveaway- the other two primary wood species are maple and oak- so those times I guess one of those two-am right 50% of the time with those, but my odds are 50-50.

I have a neighbor about 1/4 mile away that produces more smoke every day than I do all year. Last evening the wind was going opposite the usual direction blowing very gently. As I made the turn past the smokers house onto my lane I could follow the plume of smoke as it snaked over three neighbors' houses then right over mine. When I got home and opened the front door I let in some of the smoke and my wife asked if our stove was smouldering. I get this only a couple of days each winter. Neighbors on the other side get this almost daily. I would complain if I lived downwind. Strangly this guy has lots of wood stacked in the yeard all year round. It looks like he has two years worth.

OUCH! My neighbor is an older guy. His wife is plagued with breathing problems and allergies. I try to burn as clean as possible to avoid giving them grief. He is always quick to mention the burn bans and how the neighbor to his NW corner is burning. I am lead to believe he doesn't like me burning and tells me "the burn ban is why he got rid of his stove; you can't use it when it is the coldest!" I have come to the conclusion that I will do my best to burn responsibly and not ask for approval.

BrowningBAR said:
So, I'm about to go to the gym and I realize all three stoves are at the tail end of their burn cycle. The Vig is going to cool down because I need to replace a hinge pin, and it's just not needed (I write this wearing a tank top and it's 19 degrees out), and the Encore still had a good hour or two before it went below 300. The Heritage, though, was further along than the others so I threw four large splits in and set my wife up with a cooking timer and directions as to what to do to get the Heritage up to 450+ degrees.

Off to the gym I go.

An hour and a half later I pull into the driveway to smoke everywhere. Enough that I can see it part ways as I pull through it. Keep in mind, I hate smoking. Not for any environmental reason, but just out of politeness. With three stoves I just feel like a D-bag smoking out the neighbors. So I run in and check the stoves. The Vig is at 250 and living off of some coals, the Encore is at 350 with a bed of coals and the Heritage is at 450 with secondaries.

What the hell? How is there smoke?

So I grab the flashlight and I get outside pointing the damn thing at each chimney. There is so much smoke that I can't tell which chimney it's coming from. I make a second pass and I get to the Heritage's chimney and I notice the smoke seems to be coming from beyond that chimney, which is impossible due to the layout (there isn't anymore house or chimney for smoke to come from!). I follow the smoke across the street and I find the source.

It's my neighbor. His Woodstock Fireview is smoking like an old lady at the $5 black jack tables in Atlantic City.

Damn smoke dragons! :lol:

This is your chance to get his stove on the cheap! Offer him the Vig for an even trade - no smokin' cats in that one.. ;)

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.