Smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTwith3

Jul 9, 2014
Westchester County, NY
I had 3 logs on my VC Encore stove, the damper closed, and the air closed. The stovetop temperature was 475. I went outside to checkout what was coming out of the chimney, and I think this was too much smoke.
I have a short video uploaded to Box.com and somef eedback would be helpful.

https://app.box.com/s/s6jfsssl8r778yobu07i

The wood may not be fully seasoned. It looks like the fire needs more air. When was the wood cut, split and stacked? What species firewood?

Also, the chimney looks short. What is the total flue height? Is it straight up from the stove thru the roof?

Another possibility is that the cat has stalled and gone out. Did you get a cat thermometer?

The wood is maple and oak , and was cut, split, and stacked on 4 x 4s in April of 2013, then covered it during rain and snow. My installer said it was great after slapping a few from each stack.
Yes the stove goes pipe goes straight up through my shallow attick, and is 2' 3" over the peak of my roof- I went up and measured it after your post.
I have a new VC Encore and I was told you can't get a probe in there, to monitor the temperature. The stove top was 525 when I engaged the cat.
I went to the local stove store and then Home Depot and neither had a moisture meter to double check how dry the wood really is, but neither had one.

Status
Not open for further replies.