Smoking Secondary door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what....my lower door leaks very slightly for the first two or three burns of the year, every year, but only during the first hour or so of the burn. And then it goes away never to be smelled again until next year.

I use WD40 on the rope seal on the lower door when I notice the smoke. Use plenty. And make sure your hinges are turned in. The lower door seal should soften up a bit with WD on it and should seal better.

I'm not sure if you can use the new EKO seals on the lower doors due to temps. But it might be worth a shot if you still can't get that door to stop leaking...

I also noticed a lot of smoke leaking from my Paxo 40 during the first couple of weeks of operation. I liberally applied WD-40 to the seal ropes and tightened my door hinges one turn each, and the problem seems to be resolved.

What's up with the WD40 trick ? Never heard of that before.....
Rob

Very Good !
I would have to guess that it's loosens the tar buildup and softens / swells the rope ?
However, I also believe it's combustible. I can't say that it would have occurred to be to soak a fire box door seal with it.
Personally, I try to avoid that Darwinian Award stuff.

I would check the user manual.I know on my boiler i can adjust the door hindges by looseing the 2 nuts and screw the bolt in or out.

Does anyone know if you can adjust the eko secondary door up and down. My door is sitting too high hence the leak in the door . the bottom of the secondary opening is barely clearing the metal that holds in the door seal on the door .

Huff

henfruit said:
Take the door off and loosen up the nuts and see if it will move up and down.

Gave that a try looks like it is just made to adjust laterally . I adjusted the bottom hinge one turn in ,still leaking . :long:

Elongate the holes for up and down movement.

Another thing you can do is add a washer to the hinge pin to shim up the door. Also if you tighten the hinge you should do both not just 1.

Rob

henfruit said:
Where are getting the leaking hinge or latch side?

It seems to be along the whole bottom of the door . After the fire is going good and hot and no smoke coming out of the chimney its not as bad but you can still smell it .

The fire is burning right now I'll have to wait . When I light a fire then start the fan that seems to be when I'm getting most of the smoke . must be just gases that you can't see when it in gassifing.

Do you see smoke coming out or just smell it? I ask because my top door always leaked until I replaced the gasket with the new silicone one and filled all gaps with black high temp silicone.

Rob

I see smoke coming out after I light a fire and turn on the blower. it shoots out the bottom with ash and smoke . but after gasification starts you can't see the smoke you just smell it .my top door is good so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.