So, does it really need to be covered?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rippinryno

Feeling the Heat
Nov 23, 2015
united states
Here's my story. I've been clearing out mulberries by the dozen, so far I have 3 chords of split and stacked wood. My current cured wood is just a massive pile laying on a raised concrete slab, it has been seasoning for 2 years, uncovered and burns very well.

For future planning, do I need to cover this stuff? I have been stacking my split mulberry on pallets against the fenceline that I took them down from, very convenient since there was minimal hauling once felling was done.

Will this wood season out in the open here in the midwest or does it absolutely need to be covered? I have enough to let this stuff sit for 2 seasons the way it is. We have several buildings, but would rather not fill them with wood if i can help it. We all know wood tends to harvest critters and I could do without that in my barn and sheds.

so, how bad is it to leave this wood out uncovered here in the midwest? Does it still cure or will it be too wet no matter what?

I wouldn't be too concerned with top covering. IMHO, most of the benefit from top-covering is keeping it clean and dry once winter comes.

yeah, i was thinking most of spring and summer and even into fall these things will get a lot of time in the sun no doubt. The current pile of split stuff i have has seasoned very well, although i've not seen the bottom of the stack so if there's moisture down there from the lack of ventilation and sun we may run into some problems later this winter, but currently after sitting for 2 years in nothing but an unstacked pile, it's burning well.

ok perfect, yeah it's all on pallets, i've got about 20ft of double stacked wood that's 4 high x 4 deep. Plenty more to get after too so it's going to be mulberry for quite awhile.

Stack the wood so the top has a slight pitch, lay pallets over the top of the pile with the stringers facing 90 degrees to the length of the stack. Cover the top with a sheet of plastic from a hardware store (preferably black as it last longer) and you would be in great shape. Just try to keep the sides of the top pallets uncovered. Any moisture will travel up the pile and out the air gap of the pallet. Since you are on concrete deck and on pallets, uncovered will work, it just takes longer to get really dry.

It doesn't NEED to be covered. My wood isn't. It will stay drier in the winter if you cover, but if you can't cover it will still be pretty good. If I had to choose covering or keeping it off the dirt, I'd keep it off the dirt.

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
if that was stored here uncovered this fall, all you would get would be hissing, steam and smoke if you could even get it lit. splits that I have that are not covered are soaked 2" deep or more at present ( got plenty under cover- not a problem). Each to his/her own.

My strategy has been stacked on pallets and uncovered for most of the year. When dry spell was coming to end in fall I covered all mine. I probably will take cover back off in spring. I would only cover what you are going to burn that season to keep it dry before bringing it in.

I'm in complete agreement with Blades- cover the stacks. If you are dependent on the wood for your heat and not just for the decoration of a fire, why would you mess with it? I've tried it both ways and top covered wins hands down.

Reactions: AmbDrvr253
I have to agree, top covering is best for my situation. A lot of rain and not always home to cover/uncover. I leave em covered year round.

Reactions: fire_man
How many folks leave it uncovered year round without issue?

I leave uncovered year round with no issue. Pinon, cedar, and all kinds of firs and pines. I do live in a pretty dry climate, about 15" of rain a year.
I just split it and throw it in the pile.

How many folks leave it uncovered year round without issue?

Me . . . kinda.

I leave my stacks outside uncovered for a year or two . . . but then I move them into the woodshed where they sit for another year or so before being used.

Reactions: cptoneleg
Nice, Yeah i will say that i store at least a weeks worth of wood inside my building near the stove, so typically it gets dried out before it hits the stove, especially if we are expecting rain, in which case i put quite a bit inside. My main concern was for long time storage as I have started to acquire a good amount of wood and don't want to make a bad move by not covering if it is necessary. The mulberry is some heavy stuff when it's being cut down i will say that.

Nice, Yeah i will say that i store at least a weeks worth of wood inside my building near the stove, so typically it gets dried out before it hits the stove, especially if we are expecting rain, in which case i put quite a bit inside. My main concern was for long time storage as I have started to acquire a good amount of wood and don't want to make a bad move by not covering if it is necessary. The mulberry is some heavy stuff when it's being cut down i will say that.
Mulberry is highly resistant to rot, too. Other types might get punky, though.

No

Mulberry is highly resistant to rot, too. Other types might get punky, though.

besides the minor stringyness when splitting and the real PIA it is to deal with when felling, this wood is good stuff. I have a plethora to take from that is right on the property so it's going to be what i burn for a long time, unfortunately when i try to take the stuff down to the stump to clean up a fence line, it grow back quite rapidly. I've been putting tordon on to keep from growing back, but can only do so much.

Uncovered may work for some who don't have an abundance of wood in a humid/rainy climate. I can't see 8+ years of wood staying good w/o being top covered were we live.

Status
Not open for further replies.