So far this year . . . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newguyjoe

Nov 7, 2008
Monroe,NY
So being my first year with my pellet stove and second heating season in my house so far we have saved $754.21 on propane compared to last season. That pays for all the pellets that i bought and starting to chip away at what we payed for the stove and all things that go with it like the hearth, intall kit..... so im happy so far. Does anyone else have any idea what they are saving ?
Happy heating, its gonna be a cold week.
Joe

It's too early to come up with any accurate figures so far, but by now we'd have used well over $1k in fuel oil and instead have used $500.00 (only using the pellet stove for half the house right now).

Pellet cost to date is less than $400.00, so not super-savings but very happy so far.

Happy Heating!

Steve

Shortstuff said:
It's too early to come up with any accurate figures so far, but by now we'd have used well over $1k in fuel oil and instead have used $500.00 (only using the pellet stove for half the house right now).

Pellet cost to date is less than $400.00, so not super-savings but very happy so far.

Happy Heating!

Steve

That`s about what I figure too. It`s realistic. The only consolation / excuse that can be taken from this otherwise dissapointing conclusion is that we have an alternate means to provide heat and a tad less dependancy on OPEC.

I agree Gio and even though the cost of fuel oil has dropped considerably, there's still a few things I'm very happy with:

#1 - I've not only lowered my personal dependency on foreign oil, I'm doing my part to lower the countries dependency as well.
#2 - It may take a little longer than expected, but in a few years my stove will have paid for itself and then provide even better savings.
#3 - It's increased my awareness and response to other sources of energy and improved our energy saving habits - shutting off unneeded lights and replacing all regular bulbs with those energy smart curly ones, using less water, installing more efficient appliances, etc.
#4 - Peace of mind knowing that I won't have to call an expensive furnace repairman when I can now easily troubleshoot and repair my own heating system.

A 40watt curly bulb only uses 9 watts of electricity and a 60 watt only uses 19 and I proved it with my Kill-a-Watt EZ!

Happy Heating!

Steve

We bought our stove in '04 expecting to take 8-10 years to pay for itself. The price of oil spiked either the first or second year we owned it, so it paid for itself early. The key is buying fuel in bulk, off season. The full tank of oil I have now should last a very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.