1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

so how much wood have you used so far

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by jack_90125, Dec 27, 2013.

1. jack_90125

jack_90125 Member

Loc:
    NE Iowa
    well I have used almost a cord a month so far since october.and my 2500 sq ft has been quite comfy. we have been down below zero quite a bit for this early in the winter.coldest was 21 below which normally waits till jan or feb.so if it continues and even tho we started 2 months early this year we might still get by with less wood than last year. will see. Capture.PNG

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Dave K

Dave K New Member

Loc:
    Sussex County, NJ
    I've used a little more than a cord per month and I'm using an old smoke dragon.
    WeldrDave likes this.
  3. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Almost two cords.
  4. adrpga498

adrpga498 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    From Mid October to now I used 1.25 cords. Feb 1st is the half way point for my area. So I'm burning just under a cord a month. It won't bother me if I have to tap into 2014 wood to get me through April if need be.
  5. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    I started with a half a cord, then I started pulling the oak and hard maple out of it and setting it on the side. Then I decided to start pulling off the ends of some of the other stacks for some bizarre reason. I think I saw my 4yo going a bit too close to the stacks for my comfort. Short answer is probably a cord or so, but I really don't know.
  6. USMC80

USMC80 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    probly 1.5
  7. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    1 cord of Oak so far heating 1300 sq ft.
  8. MaintenanceMan

MaintenanceMan Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Not quite a cord burning about 12 hrs a day.
  9. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    I was calculating what I used last night and its just under a cord, we've had some colder than normal and a few days warmer than normal though degree days are above normal.
  10. jack_90125

jack_90125 Member

Loc:
    NE Iowa
    so I must be doing something wrong using more wood than most. will have to look into that.thought was doing well compared to last years use.
  11. Johnpolk

Johnpolk New Member

Ok. Have to clarify cord definition. Are you saying a full cord a month or a face cord a month. Just seems like a lot.
  12. Dave K

Dave K New Member

Loc:
    Sussex County, NJ
    I feel the same about using too much wood. I am brand new, so I am sending too much heat up the flue and with time I know I will be using less wood and getting more heat in to the house rather than up the flue. At this point I've been concerned with creosote formation so I burn very hot all of the time.
  13. jack_90125

jack_90125 Member

Loc:
    NE Iowa
    I am using a cord as in 4x4x8.but in my storage area it is probably in reality 3/4 cord. as it is not 4 ft tall or deep just 3 ft.
  14. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    I'm at about 1.5 cord since the middle of Sept.
  15. Johnpolk

Johnpolk New Member

I've burned 1.1 full cords so far
  16. northwinds

northwinds Minister of Fire

Loc:
    south central WI
    You are heating a pretty big space (2500 square feet) in a cold climate. I don't think you're that far off. I generally use 4 1/2 to 5 cords per year heating with the same
    stove and a bit less square footage.
  17. Snotrocket

Snotrocket Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Maine
    Almost 2 cord. I switched stoves a little over a week ago from an old smoke dragon to an NC30 and my wood usage is going way way down.
    alforit and PapaDave like this.
  18. Fred Wright

Fred Wright Member

Loc:
    Delaware
    So far, about 1.5 cord since late October. We're heating 1,400 sf 'round the clock with fairly decent insulation. It hasn't gotten very cold for any stretch of time this year.
  19. Dairyman

Dairyman Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southwest MO
    1.2 cord heating 1900 sq ft since early October.
  20. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    Right over one cord of doug fir for 24/7 primary heat from the blaze king in the cascade foothills. We like it hot!
  21. tcassavaugh

tcassavaugh Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    I think just a little over a cord so far, but I haven't measured. burning the small stove upstairs, just by itself, in the beginning helps a lot with wood use.
  22. blueflash

blueflash New Member

Loc:
    Ontario, Canada
    I live in southern Ontario, Canada. I have used approx 1 1/4 cords to heat my 2600 sq ft home, but I also like it nice & warm in my house and I also do some cooking with my woodstove (harmon oakwood). If I was trying to conserve, I could of probably used under one bush cord (4x4x8), but since I enjoy a nice warm fire all the time, I keep my woodstove stoked. It has been quite cold this year so far, when compared to last years mild winter for me. Last year I think it was below freezing once or twice before the new year, but this year has scene atleast a dozen days below freezing so far (for the daytime high, and several degrees below freezing at night).
  23. Xikar

Xikar Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    A little over a cord so far. Real cold weather is setting in this coming week in my area so we'll see how I do then. I had just under 5 cord for this season. I'm hoping it gets me by or I'll be burning some not so dry wood to get me through.
  24. Laurent Cyr

Laurent Cyr Member

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    I`ve been heating mostly 24/7 up here in northern Québec since the beginning of October. It`s been a cold one this year. I`ve gone through 2 cords to date.
  25. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    About 2 cords here, running both stoves. November was damned cold.

Still, we've been fortunate in that the cold comes in spurts, and you'll get a 2-3 day break where you don't have to push it.

Lucky that I can opt to work from home now. When it gets bad, I can stay home, work, and work the stoves. ;)
    PapaDave likes this.