So I need a splitter...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lloyd the redneck

Feeling the Heat
Dec 6, 2016
Western mn
My cousin called me the other day and said he needs his splitter back. And I have maybe a cord split. And now it's time to have my own. I'm not super enthused with what's avaliable at the store. I'm going to get some pricing on the power split, I have drawn up some plans to build my own clone of a power split. I was curious if any of you have used one or own one? I want a log lift , work table, fast cycle time. And potentialy a conveyer but that's not a nesesity. I don't use a ton of wood, maybe 5ish cords a year. But I like my equipment to work hard time is everything. I was also thinking I would run the hydros off my skidsteer, rather than buy a motor and pump ect. My cousins splitter has worked great for me. Here's a pic of what I have and what I want to build. Or buy. Depending on $ 9a17a97ec30adaed784f1e30f67c0fbb.jpg88dd6e98bc38fb29f2bcdada3fd08121.jpg

Paging Jags...

You are right, a Log lift is a necessity. That new operation looks like the way to go but raise the height so you aren't working on your knees

Better off to self power it, doesn't tie up the ss and does not run the hours up on it either. Then you have to look at the flow rates of your ss as well. Unless you have a high flow function on the ss a lot are only around 7/8 gpm straight output. A two stage pump in the 11/13/20 gpm areas will actually be faster because it only kicks down to low output high pressure when needed, the rest of time ( like around 80% or more it is running at low pressure ( maybe up to 900psi, high output.) hi pressure is around 2500 psi at apx 1/3 the high output gpm. depending on the pump specs of course. Cycle Speed is dependent on how fast you can fill and empty the cylinder, if you ditch the 1/2 id lines and go with 3/4 " and have the cylinder with 3/4" as well ( that's the hard part) it will be quite speedy even with a 11gpm pump. Store bought units are all about least cost for max profit- not max efficiency. Note I picked on 3/4" because that is a common splitter valve port size. There is an auto return valve available as well ( little pricy at $349)

Might want to check out Super Split splitters -these are kinetic type and are the original & very fast. but not the best for knarly wood.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
There's a third option: go store-bought to get into the game with minimal time and money invested, and then mod it to your needs in your first or second off-season. This is what I ended up doing, since I'm always short on time.

The down side to this is that the port sizes on the reservoir of most store-bought splitters will only support up to 16 GPM. If your target is 20 GPM (most pumps are 16 or 22 GPM), then you're into drilling and welding new reservoir ports, which negates part of the advantage of going store-bought in the first place.

My log lift is my front-end loader. I just park it full of rounds at waist height next to my splitter, so I'm not bending and lifting rounds. Stuff much over 18" diameter just gets done vertically.

I bring home a lot of big stuff, over 30" diameter. I wouldn't want to do them on a horizontal splitter, even with a log lift, so vertical capability is a must, for me.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Paging Jags...
You rang???:cool:

To be comparable to the output of your skidder you will need an 11+ hp engine and a 22 GPM two stage pump. Just taking a swag, but that will be a small percentage of the cost to build the blue machine in your pic above. Take a real good look at the irons used for that splitter. I am betting you will have a pile of dead presidents for those irons (and the one below that you can't see). The hydro motor and elevator portion won't be cheap to hand build either. The proportioning controller and valve to the hydro motor must also be taken into consideration unless it is gonna run constant, but that brings different issues if using one common pump (like splitting the volume of the pump to a motor AND cylinder, hence the proportioning valve, or flow control).

I was planning to use a old conveyer I have and a hyd motor I have. I have Ton of stuff laying around. Also have hose and fittings and a hose maker. I do not have the valves and need some guidance that way. I re read my eaton hydraulics book but it's been years since I've messed with the valves and things. I was thinking to use virgin steel for the ram and table. I'm not afraid to spend money, just don't want to spend it all. You know.

So I finally got some time today to call and get some pricing. And wow. Just the little dingo table splitter that's towable is 7500 ducks. And the single conveyer self propelled jazzer starts at 18. I would be divorced if I spent even half that. Guess the build is on! (Once sugarbeet harvest is over )

I’m missing something, Lloyd. You said you use only 5 cords per year, but you’re talking about splitting equipment that costs $7.5k + $18k = upwards of $25k? You plan on doing the entire year’s work in one short afternoon?

That's the idea. Collect rounds and have a designated dumping zone. And when I get a day with the wife we can get it done! Except I refuse to spend that kind of money. I (should) be able to build it for under 1k

Some yes. Made sugarbeet wine last year kinda turned into sugar liquor had to add a lot of water to make it not so potent. Been toying with the idea of forming some sort of mash to heat up

Some yes. Made sugarbeet wine last year kinda turned into sugar liquor had to add a lot of water to make it not so potent. Been toying with the idea of forming some sort of mash to heat up

Maybe with all that money you'll be saving on the wood processor you can buy a still. Then, with a few mods to the processor engine, you can run it on sugar beet alcohol! >> And save the best for beet vodka.

Reactions: Lloyd the redneck
Fun fact of the day: Ethanol is the traditional first aid treatment for methanol poisoning!

You mean a homeless alcoholic in dire need of a drink can just lay on the sidewalk with an empty bottle of methanol clutched in his hand? And when the medics get called they will see the empty methanol bottle and give him a free drink?;hm

Reactions: Ashful
I see. So I guess I can make my own antifreeze now !

To greatly reduce methanol production, get the pectins out of any fermented fruit product before distilling. You can freeze them out or use a clarifier. You don't get methanol from fermenting or distilling sugars or grains. You can also distil methanol straight from wood (thus the name 'wood alcohol')' so don't leave your wood stirrer in the pot. (Also don't use a wood stirrer in the first place, they're impossible to sanitize properly.)

If you smell a whiff of formaldehyde on a fermented fruit product, do not distil it- the methanol that it makes won't have an odor but it'll be more dangerous than the formaldehyde was.

Beefie splitter 020.jpg Copy of splitter details 001 (Small).jpg Building a version of the Powersplit cost about the same as building a conventional splitter. The activation of the log lift can cost from $25,for a simple cable operated lift, to $150 for a hydraulically operated lift.
The advantage of the Powersplit design is the ergonomics ,all operations are on the same side of the machine and within easy reach. The wood stays on the table from start to finish. I have built 5 since retiring and have been asked to build more but my mind says you can do it the body says it ain't happening.