So I want to replace my fireplace with an insert and need some newbie help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jlinke said:
To follow up with jtp, you're options are limited with inserts that are approved for zero clearance boxes. Use the opening of your doors to base the size of your stove on since the rest will need to stay intact. Plus leave enough wiggle room for your hands to connect the liner.

The Lopi Revere is ZC approved also and has a 10" cooktop, so it's not completely flush with the wall.

I just noticed something about that pic you linked. It seems to be missing some trim or something along the sides. Is it supposed to be that way or no? No offense but it kinda looks like it was just rigged. With the nice surrounding it jsut seemed strange to me but I am new to all this. Thanks.

No offense taken, I just finished the stonework/mantle in the late fall. I had some custom panels made, but the stove's been hot ever since and I just haven't put them on yet.

To answer your first question, the stove was put in place first and the liner was dropped straight down to the flange.

To answer some of the questions...

Nothing would come out except maybe the smoke shelf and other useless pieces of metal (can vary from unit to unit what they specify in the manual). Usually all the refractories need to stay in. The old fan would be useless with an insert in there anyway so you can either take it out or just leave it there and not turn it on.

You would need an insert approved for installation into a ZC box. Most of these will require a chimney system rated for 2100 deg. Most of the old ZC chimneys are only 1700 deg rated. You would need a UL 1777 listed wood insert liner system rated for 2100 deg. All liners I have seen need a 1/2" insulation wrap to meet the UL 1777 standard. The tricky part with the liner is 1) getting it down with the insulation wrap, and 2) you MUST keep the outer cooling air section of the old pipe open so it can breathe. Often times you can cut the top of the old cap open and leave the bottom part on that have the air holes for the outer wall. Then run the liner up through there and flash it off on whats left of the old cap.

so I did some research on the Lopi Revere and I like what it offers. It seems simple and yet would offer us WAY more than what we have now. I just can't seem to find a price on that and I hear the liner I'd need is quite expensive too. Anyone have any feedback? I guess I need to figure out how much pipe I have to the top of my chimney and exactly what size it is then correct? Thank you again for your help everyone, it is greatly appreciated.

That Lopi insert your looking at seems like a good choice!I dont really know what they cost now but i would guess somewhere near $2000.Your correct about the liner not being cheap! A 25 ft liner kit costs around $500!I guess thats because its made out of stainless steel.Because fuel prices have been increasing alot the last few years,the demand for stoves has gone up causing stove prices to go up also.In your case i would think around $3000 total (labor included) you can save some money if you do the labor but i wouldnt do it unless you really know how.By the way! $3000 was the price i paid just a few weeks ago.The prices are only going to go up so if you really want one i would get it sooner rather than later.

Everything built in the East is not always best or cost productive. Take a look at my post the bear is up and burning, and not expensive. for you in your local --if you can find it probably around 1500-plus liner and install. awesome little beast.

Built like a panther tank, not like a sherman. lots of steel . far as I am concerned can`t beat it for the bucks expended. and it truly does produce heat in a hurry. If ya look it up, dismiss the grey , the sucker is all black, like the black bear. actually quite a handsome little beast. firebox size is 2.5 cu.ft.

sonnyinbc said:
Everything built in the East is not always best or cost productive. Take a look at my post the bear is up and burning, and not expensive. for you in your local --if you can find it probably around 1500-plus liner and install. awesome little beast.

Built like a panther tank, not like a sherman. lots of steel . far as I am concerned can`t beat it for the bucks expended. and it truly does produce heat in a hurry. If ya look it up, dismiss the grey , the sucker is all black, like the black bear. actually quite a handsome little beast. firebox size is 2.5 cu.ft.

I do like the look of that one as well. I know you get what you pay for, but at this point anything would be better than just a plain old fireplace. I do have to think about the cost as well as the install process. If it's as "simple" (misleading term I know) as pulling mine out and putting the new one in with the liner, I would be willing to tackle that myself. Also, if the cost gets to $3000 or so, I can't afford that now. It may be a great deal but if you don't have the money you don't have the money ya know?

$1500 for both the stove and the liner is what I'd be looking for. I do like the looks of the more simple and straightforward stoves and inserts. I'm not into the colors or fancy artwork or doors on some stoves. I think I jus tneed to start from scratch and educate myself on the anatomy of your standard stove and then get firm understanding of the liner and what I need.

Question; Can I just back my fireplace out and see what I have behind it to get a better idea of what I might need or is that a real task to do that? I don't want to open up a can of worms, just get a look inside. Where to start?

tlhfirelion said:
Question; Can I just back my fireplace out and see what I have behind it to get a better idea of what I might need or is that a real task to do that? I don't want to open up a can of worms, just get a look inside. Where to start?

Aren't you looking at inserts now? You DONT remove the old fireplace if you install an insert, it goes INSIDE of the old fireplace. Everything you need to see is right there in front of you.

I really suggest you look up some local dealers and go to the store and talk to some people so you can get a better understanding of all this.

Status
Not open for further replies.