So now it is an Avalon!!! (Ethics, The right way and the low budget)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RNLA

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2010
OK so I have a good friend who wants to get a wood stove. He has a small budget and wants to get a stove called "SWEET HOME". This stove is older and comes with the pipe, roof flange, and all the goodies... I have never heard of this brand and I am not sure if it is EPA certified. I also do not want to help him put in a smoke dragon or endanger his house or him. I do know about installing and what is code in this area, I'm not sure if he will step up to the plate and want to put up the $$$ for the right stuff. :mad:

If it is not UL Listed with a plaque, it can be installed according to NFPA requirements/guidelines for an unlisted stove. Honestly, a safe install is safe install, just meet the requirements for the stove. A lot of people out there run smoke dragons every day. Is it the best? No. Can it safely heat his home? yes.

In fact it may the best thing that could happen for him is for you to help him, and make sure he does it right, if you can't convince him that over time, it will be cheaper to do a modern stove, either in labor or $$ if he is going to buy his wood.

I have explained the EPA thing to him and he is wanting that but he also is discovering how much they can cost. The safety of the install is why he called me. Does any one know anything about this "SWEET HOME" brand? He also said it had a tag on the back, but I believe this may only be a UL tag (UNDERWRITERS LAB). :question:

High Sierra Stoves Ltd. made and or makes a stove called the Sweet Home. It is an EPA certified cat stove.

Edit: The non-cat version is EPA certified too. High Sierra is now just Sierra Stoves.

Thank you Bart. Is there anyone here who burns one CAT or not...?

Even folks with small budgets can be good stewards of the mystic of burning wood. Help him with the best install, make sure he thinks of safety first, and last, explain to him the importance of proper burning. The older stoves may be challenging, but they can burn quite cleanly. Teach him the importance of clean burning, and instill in him the fact that the money he saves can, in part start his kitty for a new stove. He seems interested enough to do it right, help him along.

If you want info on a particular stove, start a new thread with the name of the stove in the title. That way, people who have the stove will read your thread!

Be sure to stress the big picture long term view to help him deal with the short term investment. EPA stove and better installation=less wood burned, increased efficiency, quicker ROI, 10% tax credit and less emissions. Plus scrounging for wood, splitting, stacking ,etc is hard work and takes a lot of time so the increased efficiency really helps to stretch out that investment in time and resources.
This is how I had to sell the dream to my very frugal wife.

I'm not sure if this will get a response but now My good friend has found a brand new Avalon. I was relieved He got my point about the high quality stove. Everything we saw on CL was junk! He spoke to a local stove store and found out that it is actually illegal to sell a non certified stove in WA. He wanted nothing to do with that.... So we found a brand new 1993 Avalon (mid size) not sure of the name. I am so happy we are headed in the right direction... We will figure out how to compress pics and post the evidence.

I have an Avalon Insert 1190 and I love it. It heats the whole house (1200 sq ft). I got from CL. Be sure the flue has a liner. Check the tubes and that the face of the stove (not the door) and the top is not warped and the bricks aren't cracked. He can't get parts from Travis - he MUST get the parts from a Avalon dealer. I changed the gakests and they took over a month. How near is from he? It takes an hour and half for the round trip from my place to the store. I would check that before he gets it.

Burn on !!!!!!!!!!!!

Robert

Brand new 93..that's pretty good.

Yes I know it sounds to good to be true. Today I spoke to my friend again and he went late last night to see the stove and put down a "C note". He said the stove is indeed brand new. The person who is selling it had to walk away from a house and they had not installed it, they took it with them and discovered all these years later that they were not going to use it. So to say the least my friend is very blessed. The thing I still can not believe is I found this deal on CL..... :gulp:

Status
Not open for further replies.