SO THE TRANSFORMER IN FRONT OF MY HOUSE CAUGHT FIRE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FORCE FAB

Oct 30, 2008
SOUTH JERSEY
The transformer in front of our house was glowing,shootin sparks,killin half our power...So pse&g;comes out and shuts half the block down........GUESS WHO HAS A GENERATOR AND WOOD HEAT................77 INSIDE 30% OUTSIDE

north of 60 said:
Are you sure you meet the specified clearances to the transformer out on the street with that new stove of yours.
LOL Weve had crappy power issues for about a year when it was windy/rainy,they couldnt find the problem....Well it finally started glowing and throwin fire out of it

Isn't it sweet when power goes out you can still operate?!!

It's an impressive show when one of those lets go. I was driving once in a slow moving line of cars around midnight, and had one explode directly overhead as I was approaching it. Had flaming chunks raining down on the car. The blinding flashes and the sickening noise that immediately preceded the actual explosion will not be soon forgotten...

ahhhh nothing like the smell of transformer oil in the morning....

I saw lightening strike one once while riding home from school many moons ago. Wild stuff. Did you get any pics?

Reminds me of the time our entire local substation let go when I was a kid...It was about a mile away from where we lived, but talk about a light show! Trouble was, there was a Minuteman missile silo near the substation, too...so when the 'lightning' began, we didn't know whether it might be the end of the 'local' world or the entire world!

Youtube has a pretty nice array of transformer/substation explosions and multi-KV switches opening under load.

Just glowing and shootin' sparks???...'round here the darn things go splodey and it do get your attention.

But yeah, it's nice that life is still good with no power.

FORCE FAB said:
The transformer in front of our house was glowing,shootin sparks,killin half our power...So pse&g;comes out and shuts half the block down........GUESS WHO HAS A GENERATOR AND WOOD HEAT................77 INSIDE 30% OUTSIDE

That's not fair! I have not had a power outage since I put the stove in!.

I'm gonna call PSEG, and tell them I want an outage too.

njtomatoguy said:
FORCE FAB said:

That's not fair! I have not had a power outage since I put the stove in!.

I'm gonna call PSEG, and tell them I want an outage too.
Small world huh,i live about 15 mins from you in delanco

Saw the result of a car hitting a pole on a major thoroughfare knocking loose the BIG wires up at the very top. From a block away, it looked like the sun on top of the pole and the pole ended up looking like a giant used matchstick. I'm guessing that they needed some big fuses after that event. ;-)

Chris

cozy heat said:
Reminds me of the time our entire local substation let go when I was a kid...It was about a mile away from where we lived, but talk about a light show! Trouble was, there was a Minuteman missile silo near the substation, too...so when the 'lightning' began, we didn't know whether it might be the end of the 'local' world or the entire world!

I saw one of those light shows and it was impressive. Lucky for me there was not a bomb glider anywhere near it to add to the confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.