So VC is out ..PE T6, Englander 30NC or Country 310

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Buck's website is not the best for information. This is from the 94NC manual:

EPA COMPLIANCE STATUS
The Model 94NC heater meets U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Emission limits for noncat
wood heaters sold after July 1, 1992. Under specific conditions this heater has been shown to
deliver heat at rates ranging from approximately11,900to42,000BTU/hr for the Model 94NC.

Blaze King reqires 8 inch as does the Equinox
I am stuck with6 inch pipe
Can' search too much
Blogging on my Samsung Intercept

Be careful when you look up those fire box sizes. It's better to measure them yourself, some manufactures include space above the baffle into their total which you can not load wood into. I know the NC 30 is really about 2.7 and the Equinox is a little over 3, I never measured the others. If you like the looks of the PE T-6 I'd go with that, I don't think you can beat their stainless baffle system and a true 3 cu ft fire box.

Although it may not apply to these units, I've also seen some manufacturers calculate the cu. ft. without the bricks. Thereby giving the impression it is actually bigger than it is.

FyreBug said:
If you are looking for the biggest non-cat burn box available why not look at the Enerzone 3.4? 3.4 Cubic FT of space accommodates logs up to 22". Rated at 100,000 BTU with a fantastic heat exchanger (dont believe me, check it out on the web site or at the dealer). It is built like a tank with 5/16" steel (i know I had to lug it around a few times (500Lbs) ) comes standard with the blower and ash pan. It also comes with one of the best warranty on the market, Limited Lifetime including the glass and tubes. It uses heavy duty refractory bricks as well as the new C Cast baffle. With all of these benefits it typically retails for less than many well known brand.

You can get more info here http://enerzone-intl.com/product.aspx?CategoId=1&Id=443 and also find a dealer near you.

If you are looking to save some money, the Drolet HT-2000 is a very similar burn box and available at many Home Centres and Internet retailers. Just google HT-2000 Stove and you'll find something in your area or go to www.drolet.ca for more info.

You can see it burning here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZsesmpd3SQ

As others mentioned you may be better served with a central air wood burning furnace such as the Caddy line. http://www.psg-distribution.com/

Since I work for the company that make these brands I come in this conversation with a natural bias. However, I don't think you will be disappointed with any of the models you are looking at. Ultimately, you will have to look at your budget, the look you like and determine what is the best value for your budget.
Sorry, there is no dealer near you in a radius of 124 miles.

Please phone us at 418-527-3060. We will be glad to help you find the Enerzone authorized dealer nearest you.

The Blaze King Princess uses a 6 inch pipe I believe.

Yes, the really big babies are going to require 8" flues. Back to the Englander I guess.

BeGreen said:
Yes, the really big babies are going to require 8" flues. Back to the Englander I guess.
I may need to be medicated! It feel as though I am developing a mental disorder of some sort. :)

Sort of created a paradox. This is a house the size of a commercial building, but the desire is to heat it with wood. It seems like without prior research there was a 6" flue put in. That's called putting the cart before the horse out here. If the place is as insulated as indicated, I think you will be ok if the plan is to have a wood heater per floor. Any good 3 cu ft stove should work, be it the 30NC, PE Summit, Lopi Liberty, etc. But I wouldn't plan on it heating any more than the basement come winter and even then it may be burning through a lot of wood. The next step sounds like it will be replacing the Monessen upstairs.

Hello Carol, As some of the other folks mention if you are looking for serious heat for your sq. Ft you may be better to look at an Add-on Wood furnace of Full fledged wood furnace. The idea to use a stove on each floor may not be very practical since you will still have some warm spots and colder spot on each floor. Beside by the time you add all these chimneys the cost would be prohibitive.

If your 6" chimney is in the area where your furnace is you can vent the wood furnace to this chimney and save some money. The Caddy & Max Caddy will vent into a 6" chimney. The obvious benefit of a furnace is that you are still burning wood but now you are on a central forced air system and get heat to the entire house.

If you want more info or discuss the technical details, shoot me a quick email and i'll do my best to help.

furnace, yes, not now. We will do the stove this year. The furnace will have to be an entirely different project since the flu I have been refering to is in the corner of an eventual living area. So, I have been poking around at some of the stoves that have been posted and while I find many intriguing, I would like to support local business when I can as well as American made products. So, I went to HD which qualifies on both fronts, but am having a hard time with what seems to be a much lower quality of stove in the Englander. The price at $900 sure seems tempting but then I headed back to our local stove dealer and the PE stoves are just SOLID. I mean it is like closing the door on a Hummer vs. a Geo metro. Since all of the stoves I have been looking into seem to do about the same heating job, I guess I am now at longevity. How long has the 30-NC been around, known life span? Same q's for PE either the T6 or the Summit, although from what I have heard, they are a fairly new stove company.
I WILL get a stove before winter is over :)

If you feel better with the PE, buy the PE. Personally my 30-NC is sitting across the room with the first fire of its fifth season rolling right now. And I don't have any plans to lug that big sucker out of that fireplace in my lifetime.

Buy what you are comfortable with buying. If you buy a stove you have doubts about they will become a self full filling prophecy. You will always look at it and say "but if I had bought.."

But if you want big heat that 30-NC kicks ass. Big time.

BrotherBart said:
If you feel better with the PE, buy the PE. Personally my 30-NC is sitting across the room with the first fire of its fifth season rolling right now. And I don't have any plans to lug that big sucker out of that fireplace in my lifetime.

Buy what you are comfortable with buying. If you buy a stove you have doubts about they will become a self full filling prophecy. You will always look at it and say "but if I had bought.."

But if you want big heat that 30-NC kicks ass. Big time.
Was wondering when you'd show up :) Guess I had to insult the 30-NC! Yes, want, no need BIG heat! I am usually too thrifty, that is why I question the Englander... I coupon the crap out of everything! Never, ever pay retail for anything is my motto! HD has the 30-NC for 999.99(have a 10% coupon, so 900), I got a quote on the Summit for 1895 and the T6 for 2300 (just the stoves)
Decisions, decisions, decisions, .... just want to be warm! Maybe beer or some wine will help since I have no stove?

Wine is good. Wine by a wood stove is fantastic. A quirky little Cabernet with just a hint of oak and creosote in the finish.

Buy the PE stove. They make great wood stoves. I don't want anybody bitching at me about not liking the 30. I just need it for heat. Don't get a commission on their sales. There are plenty of people on here burning in them now to verify the quality of the stove and heat output. I just rang in because I am the only one that can verify that it is the sole heat source in this minuscule 2,500 sq. foot joint and that it hasn't split down the middle in four seasons of use.

Well, make that five. I just lit it off for the first time this year tonight.

Get a stove. Enjoy.

BrotherBart said:
Wine is good. Wine by a wood stove is fantastic. A quirky little Cabernet with just a hint of oak and creosote in the finish.

Buy the PE stove. They make great wood stoves. I don't want anybody bitching at me about not liking the 30. I just need it for heat. Don't get a commission on their sales. There are plenty of people on here burning in them now to verify the quality of the stove and heat output. I just rang in because I am the only one that can verify that it is the sole heat source in this minuscule 2,500 sq. foot joint and that it hasn't split down the middle in four seasons of use.

Well, make that five. I just lit it off for the first time this year tonight.

Get a stove. Enjoy.
Wine by a fire would be nice. BTW, I am a big girl. I will live with whatever decision I make. I don't really care what it looks like as long as it will last and put off a lot of heat. I have been looking at only black stoves from the beginning, don't want bling! I appreciate ALL the input. I was a complete novice before I found this site! Thanks to everyone that takes their precious time to help others with their dilemmas. I am sure you all have helped many over the years.
Thank you.

I don't own a black wood stove. The paint was nine bucks a can an it took two cans. :)

Good luck in the hunt.

The 2 large stoves we were looking at (before we decided on the I3100 insert) were the Regency F3100 and the PE Summit. Both seemed to be very good. We were leaning more towards the Regency at the time.

Hiram Maxim said:
BrotherBart said:
I don't own a black wood stove. The paint was nine bucks a can an it took two cans. :)

Good luck in the hunt.

No Black Stove Club!:lol:

Love the pic of your dog . . . almost looks like he has a smile on his face.

Don't know if oyu bought one over the weekend, but I've had both the Englander and the Summit (well, the T-6, same stove difference covering). First, either will heat well. Second, as mentioned don't buy something you will regret. That said, if I had the size rooms you do the Englander would still be in the living room not the PE. But, with the tax credit and the cost of the chimney, install, firewood, chainsaw, etc. over time the difference in price is negligible. Only the second season with the PE and any concern about the extra cost passed about 11 months ago. The price on the Summit is great for the quality stove you get.

BTW, had you looked at the Jotul F600? Also a big stove with a great reputation, but somewhat above both in price. I would say either buy the Summit and be warm or buy the Englander and be warm, but you've pretty much decided that you like the Summit better and the difference in price ($1800 -30% vs $900 - 30% = $630) probably isn't worth stressing over for a home heating system. If it was shoes, a radio, a tv, sure - but a stove is a longer-term investment and only part of the cost of wood heat. No matter what, buy the blower with it, it makes a substantial difference in rooms with tall ceilings and lots of volume (PE blower $260 Englander blower $180). In the end, either one is a lot better than none.

Status
Not open for further replies.