So VC is out ..PE T6, Englander 30NC or Country 310

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2010
Utah
The manufacture says you can do this, but if you use the 6" pipe you can't run the stove with the doors open. However, omits why. Since the 6" pipe is already installed, what drawbacks are there using the reducer? Is it worth messing with or should we look to a different stove? I just don't know what other issues could arise? The stove would be installed with 6" double pipe, about 3.5' up and then through the wall up 25' 6" triple wall. Our local dealer gave me such a great price on this stove, pipe, & blower I am having a hard time looking to a different brand.
Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Is this the cat or non-cat version. The non-cat has a history of being more fussy with draft.

There are a lot of other stoves to choose from that will hook up to a 6" pipe without issue. Don't let the dealer bully you.

Do a search here for "everburn" and read up before you make a decision.

This model has had a fairly high repair history. Read past threads, price isn't everything if maintenance is high. That may be why the great price.

I originally posted this the other day with some response, some funny ones too!! If anyone else would like to chime it that would be great since it looks like the VC is not the best choice.

We have a large home, constructed 3 stories with ICF. Our basement is 3000 sq. ft.(9’ ceilings), main is 3000 (9-15’ ceiling)and up is another 1400(9’ Ceilings). The basement is just framed and fitted with 6” triple wall through the side of the home @ 6’ and the flue is about 25’

I have read many posts here and am still wondering which of these large stoves will be right. I know it won’t heat the whole home, but want it to supplement the furnace and have the ability to heat if we loose power. There is a large intake for the furnace in the hall just outside the basement landing and I think I can use the furnace blower to help distribute the heat when wanted. The Alderlea is the highest rated BTU 97,000 with the Lennox coming in right behind at 84,500, the Jotul 81,500 and the Quad 70,300. I just don’t know how much weight to put on those ratings. All have blowers around 125 CFM with the exception of the Lennox with 700CFM. I also don’t know what is best for our situation as far as the way each stove actually works, radiant etc. We will be burning quakie, cedar and a little oak. I have not had a wood stove since I was a kid and that was QUITE a few years ago! I got a GREAT quote on a Defiant, but not sure that is going to be a hot enough stove for us. So if anyone has any words of wisdom for me to draw upon - I would appreciate the input. I probably needed a big Blaze King or Hearthstone Exuinox but am stuck with the 6” pipe.
Thanks, Carol

What area will the stove be located in? The house has 7,400 sq ft to heat, which is really serious furnace territory. But if the stove is on the first floor and only heating an area, then I would go for the biggest stove that has a 6" flue and a good track record. In this situation, the ICF panels may help, but with this amount of sq ftg, often two stoves are needed for when it gets really cold. More info needed on what area the stove will be heating.

BTW - the whole home is ICF. The stove will be in the basement and there are two furnaces in the home. One that heats the basement and main and one for the upper level. There is a large intake for the furnace just outside the basement double doors and I am hoping to use the blower to help move the heat. I know this will only be supplemental to the furnace when it down right cold. Also as a back up since most of our plumbing is down there. We do have a Monessen BVD400 gas FP on the main and will eventually replace it but that is going to require a lot of work. It has been turned on twice. It does put out some heat but at a high cost! The home holds temp pretty good and just had the insulation brought up to Energy Star rating in the attic. Only turned the A/C on 3 times this summer. I have been doing a lot of research and was sold on the PE T6, but wonder how well it heats when it is almost cool enough to touch? Then there is the Canyon 310 and it has a huge 700 CFM blower, just not sure how well that works or if it cools the stove too much. We don't have a local Jotul dealer here :( The lumber co. that carried the line went under about 2 months ago. So, not sure if I want to have a stove with no local ties. There is the quad 5700 but I just don't know much about that on - arrg!! It was just supposed to be a wood stove! Simple. hook it up, put wood it, be warm - lol!

I question the T6. It's a serious heater, and probably my first choice of the stoves you've been looking at. Since you're putting it in the basement anyway, is a furnace an option? A Max Caddy would work nicely heating that large of an area, although it might be overkill with ICF.

Is the intent to just heat the 3000 sq ft basement and not the entire 7400 sq ft? With a well insulated space, the T6 may work fine to heat the 3000 sq ft. The stove is convective, most of the heat comes from the top with some radiant from the front. In your case I would also get the blower to improve circulation. But if the intent is to heat the upstairs too, I suspect it will not be successful except in milder weather. Heating the whole space is more of a commercial building sized task. I would at least consider a Caddy EPA wood furnace as an option.

Note that the stove must be at least 10 ft away from the nearest return air intake.

It will be farther than 10' and will be supplemental heat and in emergency to keep pipes from freezing in basement.

I think it is down to the PE T6, Country 310 but then I saw an Englander 30NCP today at HD. It is a 3.5 CF so it has the biggest box of the three stoves by .5 It seemed to be of lesser quality than other stoves but then again it was less than half the price. I see quite a few members burning the England. What are the biggest drawback? I almost talked myself into the PE today but just don't feel 100% on it since mainly heats only through the front. I was trying to stick with American made but PE is not. I don't have to but try to when I can. The country 310 has a huge blower and wonder if that is a big deal for us? Or does it cool the stove too much. Sorry if I am beating a dead horse to death, but I don't relish hauling the wrong stove down there to have to haul it back out, especially the PE.

I don't think you'll find much negative here about the Englander. Some sticky air control levers is about all I've ever heard about, and seems everybody has good things to say about customer service. Should do the job you want it to.

Carol said:
It will be farther than 10' and will be supplemental heat and in emergency to keep pipes from freezing in basement.

The big Englander should do this job just fine then. Be sure to have dry wood on hand so that you get all the btus this stove can produce.

So after all that, I end up with one of the most reasonably priced stoves in the market - really?

Yup. Amazing, isn't it. I love my PE but if I had a big area to heat, I'd seriously consider the Englander 30.

They are really fairly close as heaters go, but why spend the extra money for an occasional backup heater? I'm surprised Hiram hasn't chimed in. He has a smaller space and has two big stoves installed in it.

Carol said:
The manufacture says you can do this, but if you use the 6" pipe you can't run the stove with the doors open. However, omits why. Since the 6" pipe is already installed, what drawbacks are there using the reducer? Is it worth messing with or should we look to a different stove? I just don't know what other issues could arise? The stove would be installed with 6" double pipe, about 3.5' up and then through the wall up 25' 6" triple wall. Our local dealer gave me such a great price on this stove, pipe, & blower I am having a hard time looking to a different brand.
Thanks in advance for any feedback!

It is amazing how many people who focus on the doors being open before the buy the stove. My wife was the same way to "enjoy the fire". That quickly (read; instantly) faded once the stove is installed. She did it once and that was it. The ability to have the stove doors open should not be a deciding factor in your purchase.

Hello! How nice to see another Utah girl here! (Oh God I just called myself a Utah girl.. kill me now...)

I made a post pretty much exactly like this- wanted to buy a much more expensive stove, ended up with an Englander 50-17 for $550. =) Not bad, eh?

Hope you find something that works for you and enjoy the time-sucking total... I mean, forums.

~Rose

BeGreen said:
They are really fairly close as heaters go, but why spend the extra money for an occasional backup heater? I'm surprised Hiram hasn't chimed in. He has a smaller space and has two big stoves installed in it.
Just for clarification, we will use it daily fo supplimental heat. So is the Englander still in?
For the door open issue itwas for how it worked, not for gazing. :)

If you are looking for the biggest non-cat burn box available why not look at the Enerzone 3.4? 3.4 Cubic FT of space accommodates logs up to 22". Rated at 100,000 BTU with a fantastic heat exchanger (dont believe me, check it out on the web site or at the dealer). It is built like a tank with 5/16" steel (i know I had to lug it around a few times (500Lbs) ) comes standard with the blower and ash pan. It also comes with one of the best warranty on the market, Limited Lifetime including the glass and tubes. It uses heavy duty refractory bricks as well as the new C Cast baffle. With all of these benefits it typically retails for less than many well known brand.

You can get more info here http://enerzone-intl.com/product.aspx?CategoId=1&Id=443 and also find a dealer near you.

If you are looking to save some money, the Drolet HT-2000 is a very similar burn box and available at many Home Centres and Internet retailers. Just google HT-2000 Stove and you'll find something in your area or go to www.drolet.ca for more info.

You can see it burning here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZsesmpd3SQ

As others mentioned you may be better served with a central air wood burning furnace such as the Caddy line. http://www.psg-distribution.com/

Since I work for the company that make these brands I come in this conversation with a natural bias. However, I don't think you will be disappointed with any of the models you are looking at. Ultimately, you will have to look at your budget, the look you like and determine what is the best value for your budget.

Budget is not as big of a deal as getting the wrong stove and having to hauld it back out

The Enerzone 3.4 might work fine, but it is not the largest non-cat firebox by a long shot. Kuma Sequoia is 3.6 cu ft, Hearthstone Equinox is 4.0 cu ft and the Buck 94 is a whopping 4.4 cu ft.

Carol, maybe look at the Buck if you want the biggest firebox out there. I'd also look at the Blaze King King Ultra stove in catalytics or the Buck 91 cat stove. The Blaze King has a pretty loyal following here.

Carol said:
no pressure from dealer, just a GREAT price!

Carol, I don't know if that is a brand new stove or not, but I was recently at a VC dealer nearby and she told me flat out that the new owners of VC are refusing to cover warranty issues with stoves made before they took over. She said, "So how do I sell a stove with no warranty? Would you buy one?" If she is telling me the truth, then the answer is a resounding "No".

She said she is being straightforward with customers about the warranty problem, running them out at bargain prices, and won't be getting any more in when they're gone. Time to say "So long" to a once great stove company. :roll:

[quote author="BeGreen" date="1287529914"]The Enerzone 3.4 might work fine, but it is not the largest non-cat firebox by a long shot. Kuma Sequoia is 3.6 cu ft, Hearthstone Equinox is 4.0 cu ft and the Buck 94 is a whopping 4.4 cu ft.

Well then... I stand corrected. Although i was not able to find the EPA ratings on the Buck Stove web site.

Status
Not open for further replies.