So who is ordering a Progress?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2008
VA
I'm not, but just got their email promoting it and it's now promoted front and center on their homepage!
I know there's a couple here who have been waiting on it!
http://www.woodstove.com/

2am781.jpg

I have! Only been waiting years, don't know what my rush is :) Install tentatively set for Nov. 2nd. The only thing helping with the wait is all the prep I still have to do! Whenever I start feeling anxious, I just go out and move some wood around.

mgh-pa said:
I really can't decide. It's between this and the NC30...I think.

The Woodstock blows the NC-30 out of the water on looks and efficiency. However the 30 does have that great price and will probably do the job just fine. Both will end up paying themselves off, one just a bit longer than the other.

I ordered one! I was one of the first, so hopefully it will ship the end of October.

My father is also considering a new stove and he called Woodstock on Friday. They said the already have 70 orders. I don't think they'll make it 60 days before they hit number 250.

70 orders from folks (many from this site I'm sure) that don't know the clearance requirements? Has it been confirmed that there is no tstat for the intake air?

I'm really liking everything with this BMF stove so far and now something would have to go wrong to make this anything but a great stove. The price, the intro for sure, is very competitive. The third party retailers for mainstream brands are going to really have to sharpen their pencils if this thing takes off.

I've reserved a plinth base model - it has the same flue exit height as the fireview it will replace so it will be an easy swap. Larger capacity (ie burn time), left door and larger viewing window made it a "must have" for me ;-) If the rear clearance of 10" is correct it will also tuck back farther than the fireview it replaces.

70 orders from folks (many from this site I’m sure) that don’t know the clearance requirements?

It is strange that so many folks don't need to know the clearances. I'm sure Woodstock's guess of 10 inches with the heat shield will be pretty close. They certainly could cause themselves quite a headache by being off more than an inch or so. I can go up to about 16 inches so I'm sure I'll be fine.

Highbeam said:
70 orders from folks (many from this site I'm sure) that don't know the clearance requirements? Has it been confirmed that there is no tstat for the intake air?

I'm really liking everything with this BMF stove so far and now something would have to go wrong to make this anything but a great stove. The price, the intro for sure, is very competitive. The third party retailers for mainstream brands are going to really have to sharpen their pencils if this thing takes off.

The non-intro price is much higher. Much higher.

Waulie said:
I ordered one! I was one of the first, so hopefully it will ship the end of October.

My father is also considering a new stove and he called Woodstock on Friday. They said the already have 70 orders. I don't think they'll make it 60 days before they hit number 250.

If they don't hit 250 before the bbq, you can bet they will sell hot during that weekend. It was really great last year that they made so many sales that weekend. It was truly a winner and I hope they top it this year.

No, we have not decided yet whether to buy one or not.

Highbeam said:
Has it been confirmed that there is no tstat for the intake air?

Last I heard they were looking into 3 different tstat options but don't know if they went with one or not. They also said the primary and secondary air is controlled by the same butterfly damper and a tstat option could easily be added later on.

BrowningBAR said:
The non-intro price is much higher. Much higher.

Yeah, I'm pretty dismayed that I might miss this opportunity.

A few of the places we are looking at will be hard to get a stove installed into. I won't pass on a home that suits our needs just because a wood stove doesn't work in the setting, yet that Progress is the one I want to buy if it does. Maybe I should call Woodstock and explain my situation, they might give me an idea of how quickly I need to move.

This house buying process takes a lot longer than I thought. We already found a place we love and can afford, but we won't be sure until the end of November if everything will fall into place. One thing I do know is that the Vigilant absolutely won't work in that living space. I would have to put it in the unfinished basement, and I don't want to go through the basement heating thing for the rest of my life if I can help it... especially since it doesn't have a walk-in basement like this place does.

Todd said:
mgh-pa said:

The Woodstock blows the NC-30 out of the water on looks and efficiency. However the 30 does have that great price and will probably do the job just fine. Both will end up paying themselves off, one just a bit longer than the other.

The looks don't matter to me (basement install). I'm just trying to justify the $1600 price difference at this point, and whether it truly would benefit me. Tough decisions.

640 lbs!!!
Holy crap....you'll need a "herd of gorillas" to move that thing!!
Hope floors are strong enough to support, much less people's backs!!

Todd said:
Highbeam said:

Last I heard they were looking into 3 different tstat options but don't know if they went with one or not. They also said the primary and secondary air is controlled by the same butterfly damper and a tstat option could easily be added later on.

Have you heard if they're considering offering tstat upgrades for any of their existing stoves? I'd be all over that!

mgh-pa said:
Todd said:
mgh-pa said:

The looks don't matter to me (basement install). I'm just trying to justify the $1600 price difference at this point, and whether it truly would benefit me. Tough decisions.

Wanna fill it once in the morning and once in the evening? Then get the Woodstock. Factor in an extra 5000 or so trips to the basement to fill and adjust the thing over the next 10 years and you should see a clear disadvantage to NC-30.

So does anybody know what the non-intro pricing will be or is that just speculation?

KevinG said:
Todd said:
Highbeam said:

Have you heard if they're considering offering tstat upgrades for any of their existing stoves? I'd be all over that!

Nope, never asked, but I know they are talking of other mods and options like an ash pan and less ordinate cast for the Fireview. I'm also wondering if this new hybrid cat/non cat could be installed into their other stoves. This originally was suppose to be a Fireview upgrade and turned into a new larger stove. I think it would be pretty simple to remove the upper guts of these stoves and install new hybrid guts.

I'll just make the five thousand trips.

Glad to see Progress is being made. :red:

Todd said:
I think it would be pretty simple to remove the upper guts of these stoves and install new hybrid guts.

When you present it like that, I guess I would feel kinda bad if I paid an extra $500 for the Progress and all I got was a secondary manifold and a little more soapstone.

Waulie said:
70 orders from folks (many from this site I’m sure) that don’t know the clearance requirements?

It is strange that so many folks don't need to know the clearances. I'm sure Woodstock's guess of 10 inches with the heat shield will be pretty close. They certainly could cause themselves quite a headache by being off more than an inch or so. I can go up to about 16 inches so I'm sure I'll be fine.

It's the front clearance I am worried about. My hearth presently extends 9.5 inches in front of the Fireview, which has a front clearance requirement of 8.0 inches. I think any day now they will announce the numbers.

Rob From Wisconsin said:
640 lbs!!!
Holy crap....you'll need a "herd of gorillas" to move that thing!!
Hope floors are strong enough to support, much less people's backs!!

To put that more into perspective, have you ever seen 3 guys sit on a couch? All three weighing in at 200 or more? Same weight perhaps. Same thing for when company comes and you have several folks standing around in a small space. However, reinforcement is still good. We reinforced a bit before installing the Fireview.

Status
Not open for further replies.