So who is ordering a Progress?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's 640 lbs of stove, plus the ash load in that huge bin, plus the wood load since you just stuffed it full, plus the hearth made of heavy brick and tile, plus the stove pipe bearing on the stove, plus the cast iron kettle full of water, and finally you add the weight of the above mentioned 3 guys backing their rumps up against the stove to warm up from being outside.

You can real quickly overload that one small area of your floor.

Weights less than the Equinox.

Nice stove. Just wish they hadn't chosen a feminine hygiene product to name it after.

I would love to get one of these and the intro price is fabulous. However, I'd need to reline my chimney and my lil ole Keystone is great for all but about the 10 coldest days of the year. The cost of a bit of oil supplementation those 10 days is far less than the new stove. I am going up to the open house however and you never know what will happen once the spirit of the moment strikes. Gorgeous stove and love the flat top.

Frostbit said:
Nice stove. Just wish they hadn't chosen a feminine hygiene product to name it after.

Maybe at the Open House they'll reveal a new name for it . . . every time I read the abbreviated name PH I keep thinking of acids and alkalis and the PH balance of my spa and pool rather than a woodstove . . . and Progress Hybrid -- sounds like the name of some old farm tractor to me.

Glad to see this stove finally close to release. Now I wish I had waited for it... we were shopping for a replacement stove for the last year, decided on one but just could not afford. The $3,000+ of most these new stoves is crazy! Well when the biggest stove store around here earlier this year had a bad flood in the spring they clearanced out most of there stuff for ~40% off and we pulled the trigger on the Shelburn, the only one they had left that we liked. Its still awaiting liner install and placement on hearth. It was a tad smaller than I was gunning for but in tandem with the Rockland I hope it will be enough. Plus it doesnt have the right side door I wanted (wood stacked on the right side of stove) so I'll have to work around the door and probably have to cut every piece extra-dinky if I want it to fit n/s. Then I come back to the forums after most the summer off and find the new Woodstock with a nice introductory rate and more along the size I wanted than the Shelburn! And with a right side door option. Plus I'd love to take a trip up there! Darn it, by the time I figure out if the Shelburn works out it will be too late I'm sure.

Clearances? Nah the existing stove is a huge pre epa with a large hearth, I doubt there is any normal stove out there right now that wouldnt fit. I'm half tempted to just try and sell the Shelburn but its such a nice looking stove.

The size of the old stove and even the hearth has nothing to do with the legal installation of a new one. Those silly clearance requirements go right through the brick sometimes.

We'll start calling it the pH for Jake. Their blog still shows the new name as undecided so I'm still hanging on to hope.

Have to agree with you there Craig.

Like a car I will wait untill after the first batch is out and any bugs are worked through. Now I know whatever bugs may come up Woodstock is always known for the great customer service so no big deal. My other issue is I have to sell my Keystone to justify with the wife getting a new stove. Probably will try and sell it next spring and see if I get any takers then upgrade

I've got one on order. Can't wait! Whatever the final clearances are will be fine, I'll make it work with changes to the hearth if necessary. I've got a lot of area to heat and the Fireview has served me very well. I'm sure the stove will be as promised by Woodstock Soapstone.

I ordered one the moment they told me I could, and through some bookkeeping error (or something) I am #8 on the list. Can you imagine that? I asked Ron why I was so far down the list, since I'd been on their case to build a bigger stove since before I bought (and returned) the Fireview! He could not answer that question! :)

As to clearances, I just don't care!! I've built and will line a 20 guage piece of metal with those old-timey, stamped metal ceiling panels. There will be a mininum 2" convection airspace behind this shield, which is actually mostly air and the zero clearence FP. As for the 640 lbs., I personally (and solo) got the FV from my trailer to the ground and into the house and into place. I don't think another ~100 or so pounds will stop me. PLUS, I recently found out from the builder that I only have 5" of concrete beneath the tile floor and the basement instead of laminate joists, decking and/or whatever, so I don't even have to put anything on the floor for fire protection!!!! YES!!! I have purchased a 1.25" piece of polished black African gabbro to put under it on the white tile floor. If that doesn't work for some reason, 4" square 1/4" steel, powder-coated "pads" will go under each leg to spread the load. I have measured everything about 19 times and it looks like all will work as planned.

I nearly had a parting of the ways with Lynda when I decided to send the FV back, but she understood the lack of capacity when SHE had to get up and stoke it when I was out of town during a cold snap! Thus, no selling job required!!! :) She is all excited to coordinate the stove into the room and get it cookin'! Like someone else on this board said, he keeps the house warm enough that his wife wears skimpy clothes all winter while at home! I LIKE that idea!!!

As to the name, I was lobbying for a couple of my favorites, BUT really LOVE the BMF (pre-production informal name around Woodstock). Y'know, kinda like BMW, but with an attitude. I was hoping they would name it that and just disclaim that it stood for anything. I will continue to call it that, since Progress Hybrid sounds way too politically correct for this Texas Boy.

Oh well, it was fun to harass Ron about it. That's it for now. Y'all be good and come see us!!

'Bout time you put a stove in that place old son.

Nice to hear from you again Texas! I haven't kept in touch much since we saw each other. Been busy.... I don't suppose you are going to be visiting for the open house eh? If so, drive a semi load of your wood up and drop some off here on the way (ha!). Ok, we can dream....

Oh well - anyway, it would be a riot if you did manage to visit. We'd be glad to put you up here in MA and drive up together if that would help.

Can't wait to hear how the new stove works out for you.

Thinking of fires and all - did any of the wildfires hit your area (yet) ?

Slow1 said:
Nice to hear from you again Texas! I haven't kept in touch much since we saw each other. Been busy.... I don't suppose you are going to be visiting for the open house eh? If so, drive a semi load of your wood up and drop some off here on the way (ha!). Ok, we can dream....

Oh well - anyway, it would be a riot if you did manage to visit. We'd be glad to put you up here in MA and drive up together if that would help.

Can't wait to hear how the new stove works out for you.

Thinking of fires and all - did any of the wildfires hit your area (yet) ?

We would love to make the trip up for Open House and had been making plans to do just that. However, we just found out that our daughter will deploy to Afganistan in three weeks, which is 16 months ahead of the original schedule, so that shot down plans to travel. Thanks for the offer--sounds like great fun. Maybe we can make it next year if the offer is still good.

Regarding the wood: that might be a possibility after I retire next 31 August. I have sister who keeps company with a guy who has a semi that would be perfect for such a project. I may just see what it would cost to haul a load up there. If we could just make enough to cover our expenses and start another trip up there, that might just be a do-able project. Maybe I'll put a note on the board outlining such when the time comes and see what happens.

The fires were close to us, but the largest ones were east of here where there are trees. You have to have trees to have fires that big. We HAVE trees out here, but they are far enough apart that they can't all catch to make a big fire. We did have some pretty intense range fires that wiped out several folks, but didn't get to us. We were in smoke many days, but it was from other places, thank the Good Lord!! The upside is that it was so dry we didn't even hear tell of a mosquito all summer!

Hey Terry. Good to see you posting again. I was pretty sure you would get this big thing into your house. Glad to hear the fires missed you but bet you had a really hot summer. How is the moisture in your area? And if you really miss mosquitoes, we could perhaps send some your way.

Backwoods Savage said:
Hey Terry. Good to see you posting again. I was pretty sure you would get this big thing into your house. Glad to hear the fires missed you but bet you had a really hot summer. How is the moisture in your area? And if you really miss mosquitoes, we could perhaps send some your way.

Hi, Dennis--It has been an interesting year. We are over 12" below our annual rainfall at this point and the mosquitos just don't have enough water to make a crop this year. Too bad, huh? You can send all the mosquitos you like, they'll just go to powder and fall apart before they hit the Texas border. IF any make it past that, they'll get roasted by the fires, so send 'em on!

Yep, it WAS hot here. We got over 112 several times and to 114 once (our all-time high is 117), BUT it was very dry--humidities around 5% or less for most of the day. SO, all we did was flip on the evaporative cooler and it would put out 55 to 60 degree air and we enjoyed it! Didn't run the A/C at all until in September when my mom came down for a week and slept in the room where the cooler is. Other than that, didn't run it once.

Yes, looks like the new BMF will be a fixture in our house as soon as Woodstock gets around to shipping it. I wish they would hurry up! It won't get cold here for a while, but the sooner I can get it here, the sooner I can be ready when it does get cold. Are y'all goin' to the new one? I have high hopes for it. After last winter, we will really enjoy it! We got down below zero many times (actual) and really wished we had the FV back, even though it wasn't really up to the job. It would have been way better than burning propane.

Y'all doin' good up there? There were several times this summer when I thought, "I wonder how "hot" it is at Dennis' house!" Of course my mental image is those snow-covered photos of your place! :)

I hope we get some good moisture this winter. We really need it. Where I haven't watered, you cannot force a screwdriver into the ground! The good part of all that is that I didn't have to mow but about 10% of this five acres. So, it wasn't ALL bad!

Good to hear from you. Looking forward to reading your posts this winter when the BMF is puttin' out th' heat! Y'all be good and come see us!

Terry, we too had a hot summer and for quite some time it was really dry with no rain at all. Then one day we got 5". There was barely any run off as the ground soaked it up nicely. A couple more small rainfalls and it turned dry again. Got 1/2" yesterday so that really helped.

We heard lots about the evaporative coolers when we were in Arizona. Sounds like they are the real ticket at least in the dry climates. It is amazing that you didn't have the air on until September. We ran ours a lot this summer but really wished it was like a year or two ago when we ran the air only 4 times. We average 4-6 days per year with the temperature over 90. It was much more this year but I didn't keep count. Today seemed really warm as it was in the 70's but that won't last long.

We have not ruled out the BMF just yet but are thinking we may not buy one. That is mainly because we added lots of insulation, new doors and new windows and gauging by how the air conditioners worked we very well may get by with the Fireview even with the addition we put on. Only time will tell. More than one has suggested that I put a deposit on one and even get one and then send it back if it is too much stove but I really hate to do that so right now we are planning on looking at it real close and deciding later. We did see it while it was in R&D but anxious to see the final product.

Hey, I'd love to come down for a visit some time and won't rule that out either. Take care Terry.

Backwoods Savage said:
Terry, we too had a hot summer and for quite some time it was really dry with no rain at all. Then one day we got 5". There was barely any run off as the ground soaked it up nicely. A couple more small rainfalls and it turned dry again. Got 1/2" yesterday so that really helped.

We heard lots about the evaporative coolers when we were in Arizona. Sounds like they are the real ticket at least in the dry climates. It is amazing that you didn't have the air on until September. We ran ours a lot this summer but really wished it was like a year or two ago when we ran the air only 4 times. We average 4-6 days per year with the temperature over 90. It was much more this year but I didn't keep count. Today seemed really warm as it was in the 70's but that won't last long.

We have not ruled out the BMF just yet but are thinking we may not buy one. That is mainly because we added lots of insulation, new doors and new windows and gauging by how the air conditioners worked we very well may get by with the Fireview even with the addition we put on. Only time will tell. More than one has suggested that I put a deposit on one and even get one and then send it back if it is too much stove but I really hate to do that so right now we are planning on looking at it real close and deciding later. We did see it while it was in R&D but anxious to see the final product.

Hey, I'd love to come down for a visit some time and won't rule that out either. Take care Terry.

If you get tired of that winter weather up there, pack up and come on down. We've got two whole bedrooms that aren't doing anything that I think y'all will find right comfy!!

Geeze Terry, the last time we went through your area we were racing a snow storm! We beat it too. Ha! But who knows, some day we may take you up on the offer. Thank you.

I just got off the phone w/ Woodstock. They told me any hour now we should get the clearance requirements for the new base-model Progress. The numbers will be posted very soon. Unfortunately, the Plinth base clearance requirements won't be ready until December. I'm really hoping the Plinth wont need a higher "R" value hearth than what was called out for the Fireview, but it might. Otherwise I have to rip the old Hearth out! :bug:

I just got off the phone w/ Woodstock. They told me any hour now we should get the clearance requirements for the new base-model Progress. The numbers will be posted very soon.

Hmmm. I also just got off the phone with Woodstock. Then, I came here to post and read your comment. I was told the EPA emmissions/efficiency testing should be completed on Monday. Then, they would start the testing for clearances. I was told it would likely be a couple weeks before the clearance numbers were determined. Now I am confused. I guess we'll have the clearances sometime between now and a couple weeks from now. :roll:

Thanks for posting that Tony.

i asked them today about clearances. they said they should have everything out for the open house. i think if i was the owner of the company this would be the best time to release all of the info. i also put a deposit down. i wish i could attend the open house. i have drove myself nuts trying to figure out what i was going to buy to heat the house, then i starting broading my searches. it couldnt have been better timing for me. i hope it all works out

I have been checking their site every day for the posted clearances (was told by Mike at WS they would post soon). So far, nothing. I guess I will have to wait to get there on Saturday. I have a feeling the low base Progress is going to need more hearth than I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.