Soapstone Hearth Extension?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody have a piece of soapstone for their hearth extension in front of a fireplace?

We installed a North Star fireplace last fall and I'm getting around to just finishing the hearth extension and rock face around it. We were shopping around for Hearth Extension pieces, we don't really like the marbles and granites or limestones, but we did really like the soapstone pieces. It's cheaper than the marble and granite pieces too, and I think it would be a great heat storage piece as well. We don't like the broken up tile look, and are looking at getting 1 big piece, approximately 85"long and 24" deep, with a rounded front edge.
My concerns would be with durability (cracking with slamming wood pieces around on top of it), and with staining. They use them for counter tops, so I think perhaps staining is not an issue, but how about cracking? I say staining because I see a lot of fireplace installs with the whole front of the hearth extension all blacked out and stained from ashes, wood dragging across it, etc. Usually limestone or brick. Not sure if they didn't just seal it or what, but I've seen several like that and we don't want that for sure.
I can't say I've seen any fireplaces with a large soapstone piece in front of it. Good idea? Anyone have a soapstone hearth extension?

IMG_9824.JPG

Interesting idea. We used tile but I have a soapstone stove. Everything I've read about my stovetop is to take care because it can scratch easily. I have a couple of small marks from this or that and I'll try rubbing them out with very fine steel wool this spring. Good luck and keep us posted on your project.

Hmm...scratches. I didn't think that would be much of an issue because they use soapstone for counter tops all the time. The sales guy said small scratches will rub right out, and deeper ones could be sanded out like Corian.
But I don't think I want a bunch of scratches all over the thing. There's an online place that sells samples for minimal cost, perhaps I should order 1 and see how it holds up.
I wonder if the stones used on soapstone stoves are treated, or untreated or something, different somehow because of the direct contact with a heat source?

As is often the case - more research is necessary. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.