SOAPSTONE OWNERS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got off the phone with woodstock and there is a bigger stove coming and it is suppost to be very efficient, not sure if i should wait for it.

Great news. Did you get any more info about it? Like how big or when we can expect it? Is it top or rear venting? Any little bit of info would be great. I love my heritage but I would also love a cat stove.

Highbeam said:
Great news. Did you get any more info about it? Like how big or when we can expect it? Is it top or rear venting? Any little bit of info would be great. I love my heritage but I would also love a cat stove.

If it is in the 70k range, that would be nice. I just hope the clearance do not increase. If they do it would probably mean I won't be able to do it. I will either do a second Heritage or move the one I have to the replace the Vigilant and buy a (hopefully) updated Mansfield down the road.

...and by 'down the road' I mean not for a few years as I am tired of moving and lifting stoves. They are unforgiving bastards.

Ohhhh man. IF it does come out and is much larger without increasing clearances I'm going to be SOOO tempted. My wife is going to have a serious fit!

Highbeam said:
The only info they would give me is that it would be ready for the next burn season and possible the most efficient stove they made yet

Slow1 said:
Ohhhh man. IF it does come out and is much larger without increasing clearances I'm going to be SOOO tempted. My wife is going to have a serious fit!

Why do all of my hobbies end up becoming so damn expensive? Motorcycles, firearms, and now wood stoves. This would have never happened if I had a centrally located chimney. One stove and I'm done. But noooooo...

dr.drew said:
Highbeam said:
The only info they would give me is that it would be ready for the next burn season and possible the most efficient stove they made yet

Next burn season? Kind of surprising.

BrowningBAR said:
dr.drew said:
Highbeam said:

Next burn season? Kind of surprising.

Yeah, I bet they want to get that new stove out before the tax credit expires next year. Someone else that toured the factory said it was going to be a larger Fireview style with a 3cu ft fire box, 6" exhaust and cat/non cat technology. I know I'd love one but the Fireview I have now is doing the job just fine and it will be hard to convince the wife with all the other costly projects she has in mind.

Dr, I'll see if I can get any information and will post here or on a new thread if they give anything.

Backwoods Savage said:
Dr, I'll see if I can get any information and will post here or on a new thread if they give anything.

I just got off the phone with Woodstock. They are still hoping for it to be ready for the next burning season. The firebox size is suppose to be 2.5-2.7 cubic feet (no definite specs as of yet, but it will be within those numbers). To put that into perspective, the Fireview's firebox is 2.1 cubic feet.

Stove dimesions, clearances, and stove design are still up in the air and/or have not been tested, yet.

So, if it will have a 2.5-2.7 cubic feet firebox you kind of have to figure it will be about a 70k BTU output based on other stoves. And based on Woodstock's ratings that should put it at about 2,200 sq ft of heating coverage from a marketing standpoint.

I was hoping it would be a little larger than that. I would think they would need a 3.0 cu ft stove to compete with the Mansfield and Equinox, unless they think the higher efficiency will make up for it? The actual usable fire box size in the Fireview is a bit less than 2 cu ft. Maybe they are planning to just replace the Fireview with a little larger and more efficient model?

A little larger, 25%, will satisfy many folks though. The current offering is rated by woodstock for a dinky house and uses pretty dinky wood relative to other full sized cat stoves. It's hard to take it seriously. I don't think that we need to compare it to the larger non-cat stoves simply because the actual max output of the stove is pretty meaningless for your typical cat stove buyer. Cripes, the big 4.6 CF BKK is only rated for 2500 SF. The kind of person that would buy a cat stove is very rare, indeed a very small minority of buyers, and we want long burn times. Those long burn times happen with bigger fireboxes.

I just hope they don't screw it up while trying to gain efficiency, like by adding unregulated secondary air tubes which will ruin the low heat cruises that attracts us to cat stoves. Who cares if the thing is half a hair more efficient? The WS line is already super efficient. I do hope that they make it more efficient by employing an automatic thermostat like the BK.

I am also hoping hoping hoping for a top exit flue and good rear clearances.

Ah, stove dreaming. Wife will even let me have a BK now if I quit griping. She bought off on the fireview a long time ago, we do love the stone stoves.

Highbeam said:
A little larger, 25%, will satisfy many folks though. The current offering is rated by woodstock for a dinky house and uses pretty dinky wood relative to other full sized cat stoves. It's hard to take it seriously. I don't think that we need to compare it to the larger non-cat stoves simply because the actual max output of the stove is pretty meaningless for your typical cat stove buyer. Cripes, the big 4.6 CF BKK is only rated for 2500 SF. The kind of person that would buy a cat stove is very rare, indeed a very small minority of buyers, and we want long burn times. Those long burn times happen with bigger fireboxes.

I just hope they don't screw it up while trying to gain efficiency, like by adding unregulated secondary air tubes which will ruin the low heat cruises that attracts us to cat stoves. Who cares if the thing is half a hair more efficient? The WS line is already super efficient. I do hope that they make it more efficient by employing an automatic thermostat like the BK.

Ah, stove dreaming. Wife will even let me have a BK now if I quit griping. She bought off on the fireview a long time ago, we do love the stone stoves.

Top exit and smaller clearances would be fantastic. But, I would wager only the top exit is a possibility. If both happen I could see moving the Heritage in to replace the Vigilant and putting the Woodstock into the Living Room. The super long burn times would kick ass.

Highbeam said:

Yeah if the next stove had an auto thermostat that would be great

wow is time standing still, I don't know about anyone else but I can........'t wait to see the new stove.

save your cash while time stands still. I hope they have a lot of filigree designs in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.