Soapstone stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, during the dead of winter, after adding a load of locust or madrona, it is typical. Stack temps do creep up a bit to about 500 IIRC. The Jotul 602 always was running at 650-750 stove top temps once a fresh load of wood got burning. I used a pipe damper on the flue, but it was hot below the damper. And yes, for a little stove, it kicked out some serious heat. So does the T6, but the mass of cast iron buffers the effect so that one doesn't get a radiation burn near the stove. :coolsmile:

If my stove is at around 700 with thei air all the way down, I wouldn't be worried. if the air was still open and it was at that temp, I would start closing the air down. I'm confident she can handle 700 and even 750 with no issue. I'm really happy with this temp, because it means I've got a full load of some real nice dry wood in there.

If it was at 800 and climbing with the air all the way shut, I would start to worry, and would then correct the fact that the ash door is stuck open by a piece of charcoal, seal the large crack in the stove exterior, or refrain from using gasoline soaked wood on the next reload. I haven't seen this happen even if someone accidentally left the start up air control open.

Temps of ~800 likely wouldn't last more than an hour in my stove; that wood would need to be outgassing really fast to reach that point with the primary shut down.

BeGreen said:
Yes, during the dead of winter, after adding a load of locust or madrona, it is typical. Stack temps do creep up a bit to about 500 IIRC. ... So does the T6, but the mass of cast iron buffers the effect so that one doesn't get a radiation burn near the stove. :coolsmile:

I suppose that is how you get nearly 100K btu out of a stove eh? Ever roast marshmallows over it?

Highbeam said:
That's just because you've never owned one. I like the looks but the clincher is the performance. They work totally differently than the steel stoves I've run in the past. This helps you appreciate the stone.

I appreciate a mowed lawn too. Even a shiny paint job on a car. I like nice things and this extends to the soapstone.

This may be, but I still don't like the look of them.

branchburner said:
To each his own. It's funny to me that you started this thread, because I really want to like the way soapstone stoves look, but I just don't. I can't figure out why. I like the look of soapstone. I like the look of stoves. But...
That said, I love the concept of a soapstone stove, and if I owned one I'm sure I would grow to love the stove. Kind of like certain breeds of dogs I'm not too fond of in appearance; really get to know one individually, all bets are off.

Same here. The first one I saw I looked at for a long time trying to convince myself how sharp it looked.

BrotherBart said:
Soapstone would be fine if my only other choice was some pimped out black porcelain box with nickel legs and door. :coolsmirk:

Translation from BB-ise into standard English = "I wish I had bought a pretty stove. . . sigh. . ."

Bigg_Redd said:
branchburner said:
I really want to like the way soapstone stoves look, but I just don't.

Same here. The first one I saw I looked at for a long time trying to convince myself how sharp it looked.

Yup. I liked the photos, but live and in person it didn't click. But the first time I saw a massive Tulikivi soapstone masonry heater I was in awe. That happened before the stove. Must have ruined me for life.

branchburner said:
Bigg_Redd said:
branchburner said:
I really want to like the way soapstone stoves look, but I just don't.

Yup. I liked the photos, but live and in person it didn't click. But the first time I saw a massive Tulikivi soapstone masonry heater I was in awe. That happened before the stove. Must have ruined me for life.

I would take one of those Tulkivi stoves in a second. I would not want to lay the cash out for one though. If it happened to be in the house I was buying....

My wife, being from Germany, originally wanted me to build one of these. I refused. With that settled,she then felt that the soapstone look of our Equinox gave her the next best thing.

Attachments

• DSC02727.JPG
    DSC02727.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 160
  • DSC04912.JPG
    DSC04912.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 189
Sorry, forgot their wood storage idea!!

Attachments

• DSC02729.JPG
    DSC02729.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 188