Sold my first cord of the season!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Delivered a cord of wood last night and this A.M. couple miles from my house 150.00 got 2 loads there and the guy says wow you sure a 150.00 enough? I said you sure that's all the wood you need? lol Will have his business for now on.Hope the rest will be as good costumer. And If he thinks he was shorted later and calls I will be there that day!!!!
shooting for 15 cords sold this season 1 down

Congrats. What is a frist cord? Is that like a southern rick? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

gzecc said:
Congrats. What is a frist cord? Is that like a southern rick? Sorry, I couldn't resist.
first cord always g then c the d theres your country top 40! lol we do have a lot of spelling B champions on this forum

No one bought wood in August ?
Really?
It took frost on the window and shivering in the morning ?

:)

Good going for you Jay. More satisfied customers and soon you'll be hiring help!

billb3 said:
No one bought wood in August ?
Really?
It took frost on the window and shivering in the morning ?

:)
I guess so didn't have my sign out yet he just stop by.Was going to wait til January to sell but what the heck still 150.00 no matter how I look at it

Congratulations! Good luck on your goal!

$150/cord? I'll take a couple... oh, right - I'm too far away :)

Slow1 said:
$150/cord? I'll take a couple... oh, right - I'm too far away :)

buy 14 and i will be there! lol

I'd probably have a different perspective if I had 20 cord in my back yard, bit I look at my 2.5 cord and the 3.5 that needs cutting and splitting and $150.00 just isn't the magic number to move it. Maybe I need a splitter.

billb3 said:
I'd probably have a different perspective if I had 20 cord in my back yard, bit I look at my 2.5 cord and the 3.5 that needs cutting and splitting and $150.00 just isn't the magic number to move it. Maybe I need a splitter.

i thought that but now the son-in-law has moved in without a job! lol and I have more tree's to cut than can count on my hands and toes.With 22 cords in the back 40 likely sale 20-25 cords.My hobby now needs to be a money maker

hey!! congrats!!!

you should have taken a pic!
thats something to remember good luck with your new business!

iceman said:
hey!! congrats!!!

you should have taken a pic!
thats something to remember good luck with your new business!

sold 2 cords today so far! sold another one 4 four the week

just got a call for another cord for sunday A.M. been a good week pick a great time to start i guess

Get some history on these peoples burning habits (via casual conversation or direct inquiry) and write them in a book for future references. Sometimes customers are not dissatisfied with the quality of the product but but will look elsewhere when a repeat performance is not available. Apparently your prices are good enough that word of mouth may run you out of stock. Let's see...How much wood can a Jay cut n' chuck?... I sold wood for a while get a 4 way wedge for your splitter it will help.

nonapologeticaLEE said:
If it's sellin' that fast you're too cheap.

i was thinking that as well but there all selling at 150.00-175.00 i have a great location just out side city limits and close to all the nice subdivisions

Ghettontheball said:
hard or softwood? cut, split,seasoned? full cord? length? 4x4x8 cord?

mix silver maple and ash and yes full cords and this is you pick it up

I can't beleive people sell good quality wood for $150 a cord, unless they have a major production setup (fed processor). I have big saws, a Super Split splitter, big dump trailer, etc. and I was bitching up a stom to myself today as I was loading up a 1/2 cord to be dumped off tomorrow to one of the wife's friends. $90 for this half cord and it sure as hell seems like way more than $90 worth of work went into this seasoned wood when I add up all my time and effort. I too have about 20 cords now and I hate to part with any more... it's worth more to me to sit on it and burn it as it's needed. If someday I get too much (like this will ever happen!), I'll reconsider, but until then it's hardly worth my time to sell it for under $200/cord.

Wet1 said:
I can't beleive people sell good quality wood for $150 a cord, unless they have a major production setup (fed processor). I have big saws, a Super Split splitter, big dump trailer, etc. and I was bitching up a stom to myself today as I was loading up a 1/2 cord to be dumped off tomorrow to one of the wife's friends. $90 for this half cord and it sure as hell seems like way more than $90 worth of work went into this seasoned wood when I add up all my time and effort. I too have about 20 cords now and I hate to part with any more... it's worth more to me to sit on it and burn it as it's needed. If someday I get too much (like this will ever happen!), I'll reconsider, but until then it's hardly worth my time to sell it for under $200/cord.

lol this is Anderson In. its been 150 or 50 a rick for s long as i can remember. I have more tree to cut than i can count.
heck thats 750.00 bucks for the week and that doesnt count my full time job at 60 hrs a week,dont know were you live but its tuff here right now

I hear you. I'm in CT and wood is a little more expensive, yet times are still tough. I know selling my wood would pad the pockets nicely, but when I think about all the hours and muscle that went into everything, it's just not worth my time (as long as I'm still employed). But as the guys say, it's like money in the bank and I still enjoy doing it. Now if you can get people to dump wood of at your lot for free (like your latest loads), then you're onto something!

BTW, I grew up in IN/OH, was born in Muncie. You're right though, things are a little cheaper there than they are here in CT.

Wet1 said:
I hear you. I'm in CT and wood is a little more expensive, yet times are still tough. I know selling my wood would pad the pockets nicely, but when I think about all the hours and muscle that went into everything, it's just not worth my time (as long as I'm still employed). But as the guys say, it's like money in the bank and I still enjoy doing it. Now if you can get people to dump wood of at your lot for free (like your latest loads), then you're onto something!

BTW, I grew up in IN/OH, was born in Muncie. You're right though, things are a little cheaper there than they are here in CT.

lol I was born at Ball hospital.(my Family names Oren) The work is the part i love its like a free gym pass to me I bought the best equipment that I could so I'll let it pay me back more than just the free heat.Keeps the son-in-law from getting a free ride. lol not really hes a great guy

Wet1 said:
$150 per cord is also what I sell mine for, although in smaller quantities than smokinjay (the majority of my customers are campers and fireplace burners). I have a small poorly running slow cutting saw, a trailer that hauls only 1/6 of a cord, and I split every piece manually. But, I enjoy it very much.

Wow, last year in the Milwaukee WI area a cord was selling for 250-325. At least that what they advertised. Now its 225-300. At 150 I think I would pay for it...Heck I can sell the 2 stihls for 300 a piece, and the splitter for 900, that will buy 10 cords...thats a long time burning...

Status
Not open for further replies.