Some Ashford 30 Questions ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vigil Igne

Apr 26, 2014
Northern Wisconsin
New guy here and I have spent probably 14 hours over the last few days reading old posts (as if you haven't heard that before!) I will be putting in a stove this fall (new addition) in Norther Wisconsin and started looking around for a good looking stove that has it all. It doesn't exist! I was real excited about the Lopi Cape Cod as I think it is gorgeous. The Jotul line has some impressive stuff too. After reading much written about the Cape Cod and it's problems, I've basically written it off. I then started getting into the PE Alderlea T6 as an option. Doing my research on that, I was intrigued by what I was reading about the long burns on the BK Ashford 30. (A real BIG thanks goes out to "webby365" for all his posts!)

Like I said, not every stove is going to have it all - I realize that. I have a question about the Ashford yet. (Forgive the "rookie" questions here but that is exactly what I am!) I know the CAT is designed for long slow burns. On a fall evening with the windows in the house open (and grandchildren gathered around), I would like to have a "show fire." Would this be possible by just running the stove and leaving the bypass open? Obviously, I'm not trying to heat the place but know I will get some from a hot fire. I'm just wondering if the stove is also designed to run this way or if I would be doing any long term harm to the stove. (Yes, I know it won't be as efficient in use of wood, will throw more emissions up the chimney)

Thanks in advance!!!

You can just turn up the air a little in the cat stove and have flame just like in any other stove. It's not suggested to operate the stove with the by-pass open nor should you once the fire is established.
I don't think you would be making a mistake with the Asford. Cheers!

Welcome. Tell us a lot more about the house size, stove location, area to be heated, etc..

Begreen: Main part of house has 2 bedrooms and tiny bath on 2nd floor (550sq ft). 1st floor has small bath, bedroom, and a kitchen dinette/area (550sq ft). This main part has a rectangular footprint (19x29). The addition will "T" off this with a 20x24 area (480sq ft) and the stove will be located on the far end of the 24' section (farthest from main part of house). This is a total of 1580sq ft when completed this fall. All would be considered new construction as far as insulation and windows go. This is in norther Wisconsin. I notice you have the PE T6. I still am "kinda" thinking that one as I can use a screen when needed for a "show fire" and the simplicity of cleaning. (I know the ash thing is not so great.) I wonder, and can't find so far, how easy it would be to clean the Ashford and replace the CAT when needed.

What do you want? A decorative fireplace for the kids once or twice a year? Or a heater? The bk can make flames, mine has been vigorously flamingv for the last two hours but that is because the stove and house were cold this morning and i have the throttle set at 50%. House temls are up 7 degrees since started the fire .

If you can live with that higher output then you can have a pretty fire and a great cat stove. Flames for as long as the kids will care to stare at it.

Your brother is right. A big cat stove is ideal. That t6 is a great noncat.

By the far location, the stove may end up being more of an area heater than a whole house heater. Otherwise the addition may be fairly hot in order to have its effect felt in the opposite side of the house. A location closer to the center or at least the junction of the old and new might work out better. Otherwise you may need a fan pulling air from the cooler part of the house blowing into the stove room.

How tall will the ceiling be in the addition? How well insulated and sealed is the original part of the house?

Highbeam: I want it all but as I said in the first post I know that is impossible!

Begreen: Only location I can go with for the stove is on the far end. I will be able to vent above or below to the other side of the house. I was thinking of blowing warm air over to the main part of the house. I did see something posted on this forum a couple days ago that suggested (like you just did) that the cool air should be brought to the area by the stove. Is there a difference on way or the other? Also, the whole place is very well insulated and new windows. The addition will be 9 ft. ceilings.

If at all possible, go straight up with the stove pipe. It will cost less, draft better and will be easier to clean.

Blow the cooler air from the house toward the stove. Cool air is denser and easier to move. It will be replaced with warm air from the stove room.

Begreen: THANKS! I knew there was a reason - makes sense. I believe I learned that back in high school but I am decades past that. Yes, the pipe will be straight up. That is one of the reasons I want to get this nailed down to a choice of stoves so that I know exactly where the roof trusses will be. Don't want to have to offset the pipe for one of those!

Use well insulated duct for the best performance. It doesn't take a large blower. If you want a quiet one, Panasonic makes a remote bathroom fan blower that is nice. The 240 cfm model should be fine. There are less expensive brands too.

http://www.kitchensource.com/bathroom-fans/d/remoteinline/

I still am "kinda" thinking that one as I can use a screen when needed for a "show fire" and the simplicity of cleaning. (I know the ash thing is not so great.)

You will see plenty of fire if you run it on a higher setting. As for the screen, it's probably the biggest waste of money ever. Most people end up with theirs in deep storage. In my opinion, the fire is prettier with the door closed, since you get all the secondary fire with the door closed.

What did you mean about the ash thing not being so great?

Begreen: Thanks - I bookmarked that for future use!

Webby3650: Yep, I've seen you (as well as many others) report the screen is a waste. I like the view and the sound on those infrequent times that it will be used for "showtime" only. The "ash thing" .... I was referring to the PE Alderlea T6.

Last edited by a moderator:
Webby3650: Yep, I've seen you (as well as many others) report the screen is a waste. I like the view and the sound on those infrequent times that it will be used for "showtime" only. The "ash thing" .... I was referring to the PE Alderlea T6.

I can see that. That's why I have an open fire place too! :cool:
I Just wouldn't let a screen make my final decision since it will rarely be used.

Okay, let me ask some more questions about the Ashford 30:

1) How large is the glass size?
2) How easy (or hard) is it to remove the CAT for cleaning/replacement?
3) How expensive are the CAT's to replace?

Okay, let me ask some more questions about the Ashford 30:

1) How large is the glass size?
2) How easy (or hard) is it to remove the CAT for cleaning/replacement?
3) How expensive are the CAT's to replace?

The glass is 17" wide and 11" tall.
The cat comes out in about 10 seconds. No tools, but a new gasket is needed.
After the 10 year warranty is out expect to spend about $250 or so for a cat.

Webby3650: Thanks for the info. Based on your reviews and comments in other posts I am really leaning on this being the stove I end up with.

Removing the cat does not need to be done until it dies, which should be more than 10 years. Cat removal is not necessary otherwise so ease of removal is not important.

Reactions: jeff_t
Highbeam: My bad I guess - I could swear I read CAT's had to be cleaned (brushed off) once in awhile. I've been trying to download the manual for the Ashford 30 all morning to read more about it but the Blaze King site has been down.

EDIT: Just called - site back up!

Since this is also the stove I'm considering, this has been good information. Awesome!

I'll be putting up some pictures of an existing fire place with some measurements to see about setting one up in our temporary location before our home is built.

CombatChris: Just out of interest, what other stoves are you considering? (For me it was PE Alderlea T6, Lopi Cape Cod, Jotul F600, and now Ashford 30). I'll be watching to see what you end up with!

Unless the gasket fails, there really is no need to remove it until replacement. It is pretty accessible, and a simple swipe with a soft brush is usually adequate. A careful pass with a shop vac works, too.

The major cleaning with a vinegar bath is something that may be done once in the lifetime of the cat, or maybe not. Like webby said, it is easy to remove. Wrap a new gasket around and slide it back in. A new gasket costs a couple $.

Reactions: webby3650
Jeff_t: Thanks for that info. I was thinking it had to be pulled out to clean - apparently not!

I've burned very ashy wood and wood with almost zero ashes. Perhaps it's the design of the BK stove but ash, or whatever people get, but I see no accumulation of anything on the face of the cat. Sometimes I see the lightest of fine white powder but I can blow it off with lung pressure.

Operate the stove properly, with good fuel, and the cat will take care of itself. At least that has been my experience.

Reactions: webby3650
BK appears to have done a good job at keeping ash and flame away from the cat. This appears to help longevity. Some other designs have not been so successful. They complicate the story of whether owning a cat stove is more maintenance, more expensive, etc.. Some new designs are not the best, so it is good to watch the stove's history over time. That's one reason I am reluctant to recommend a stove that has only been on the market for a year or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.