Some guidance needed re: Tasso A3 wood boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey517

Burning Hunk
Dec 27, 2010
Highland Lakes, New Jersey
Good morning from a first time poster but a long time lurker.
This my second season burning full time. My home - inherited from my father in law - is equipped with a Tasso A3 wood boiler, circa 1979. I am using it full time, but have an oil burner which is switched off.

My question deals with the exhaust flap (damper?) which is located on the rear of the stove just prior to the exhaust flu pipe. I was unaware of its existence until i had a SS chimney installed.

I have been using the stove with this flap wide open. Even when the Sampson door is closed, I still notice I'll have flame in the firebox, and at times the water temp will rise to 210+. The sweep who did the liner said that the exhaust flap should be partially closed after I get a good burning fire in the box. He said it will slow down my wood use as well. I have read the old documentation, but find nothing that deals with this flap or its proper operation. There is no mention of it at all.

Can someone give this newbie some guidance on this damper?

Thanks

Regards / Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.