Some observations on the homemade stove after a few weeks experience.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corie

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
Camp Hill, PA
I finally got the kahones to stick some pine in the stove. I mixed in two pine splits with two elm splits this past weekend. Air control wide open, the fire TOOK off. You guys know the drill. Firebox literally filled with flames, coming from every direction. Temperature spiked to 550 quicker than I would like, so I shut the air control down, but there was almost no slowing the pine down. I was very concerned as I watched the temperature continue to climb. I debating closing the secondary air too, but I wanted to see what would happen, stove condition be damned. Temperature peaked at 650 and backed down from there pretty quickly. I was contemplating the run-away stove thread as I was watching it happen. I was not expecting such a violent reaction, but I later realized the air control was leaky when fully closed. I machined a new draft slider and that fixed that problem, I'm going to try round two in a few weeks.

On a related note, I noticed that the direction the holes in the air tubes face in the stove has a big effect on secondary combustion.

Originally I had them orientated like this:

o o o
/ / /

Now, I switched them like this:

o o o
/ | |

Now, air fully fully closed secondary burn is maintained and the firebox looks just like a quadrafire turned all the way down. Hrm.

I also did a little test whilst burning coal, for kicks. Usually I keep the airwash about half open and that maintains secondary coal flames for the beginning of the burn, as it should. If I close that air control down to a little less than 1/4 open and fully open the secondary control, the secondary flames of the coal just float in the middle of the firebox, not attached to the top or bottom. Just gorgeous floating blue flames dancing. It's quite amazing. Very minimal sulpher smell outside when its burned like that too, I've noticed.

Looking good Corie. I found it interesting that England Stove gives a diagram of the angles of their secondary burn tubes in their manuals. The one for the stove with three tubes is on page 17 of this manual.

http://www.englanderstoves.com/manuals/13-NC.pdf

BrotherBart said:
Looking good Corie. I found it interesting that England Stove gives a diagram of the angles of their secondary burn tubes in their manuals. The one for the stove with three tubes is on page 17 of this manual.

http://www.englanderstoves.com/manuals/13-NC.pdf

On my stove the angles are way different.
Page 8
http://www.drolet.ca/forcedownload.aspx?strFile=images/poeles/manuel_en/6519692005508.pdf

Doing a little experimenting I have noticed that when the stove is hot and a small fire is pushed to the back of the stove there is a nice horizontal cyclone going on in there. I put a small piece of plastic from a milk bottle on the fire to make some visible soot. As the gases come forward along the underside of the baffle plate they seem to separate, clean (presumably hot) going between the plate and the tubes while the soot and colder gases drop under the tubes and get pushed down by the increasing angles of the air jets from the tubes. Then at the lip of the baffle the cleaner hot gases go up around and out of the stove while the rest get pushed down and back into the fire by the air curtain.

Status
Not open for further replies.