Some of my latest free scores

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peterc38

Feeling the Heat
Sep 10, 2009
Maine
Here are some of my latest free scores in progress from last weekend. :)

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

Free wood burns best. Looks like those southerly tracking storms have kept your processing area pretty clear this year.

Looking great!

SolarAndWood said:
Free wood burns best. Looks like those southerly tracking storms have kept your processing area pretty clear this year.

Yup . . . very disappointing to have all those snow storms blow out to sea . . . on the other hand I suppose I should get motivated and head into the woods to cut up some more wood since there is nothing else to do.

peterc38 said:
Here are some of my latest free scores in progress from last weekend. :)
Excellent!

Peter it looks like you had a very busy weekend. Very good indeed.

Excellent score! Can't beat free wood and I can stand outside for long time admiring my stacks - I'm sure you're doing the same! Good luck with getting more! Cheers!

Looks like some nice Black Locust in there, yes? One of my faves--great firewood!! BTW I like you piling technique on top of the pallets, any idea how seasoning it that way compares to stacking it?

NP

Outstanding ! I like how you piled your wood on pallets after splitting to keep it off the ground,will you be re-stacking at a later date or is this the finished product ?

Nonprophet said:
Looks like some nice Black Locust in there, yes? One of my faves--great firewood!! BTW I like you piling technique on top of the pallets, any idea how seasoning it that way compares to stacking it?

NP

I get free pallets from work to pile the wood on. I am sure it seasons faster if it is stacked, but it still seasons nicely. This area is completely open to the southwest and gets a lot of sun and wind. I'll be selling this stuff, so I won't stack it. If it is for my own personal use, I stack (also on pallets) as seen in the pictures below.

The stuff that is stacked is between 5 1/2 and 6 cords. I will have a little left over after this winter of that I think. The stuff in this pile is another 4 cords or so, that I will stack when the stacked wood is gone in the spring. That is for next winter. The stuff in the piles in the original post is about 100 ft from my personal stash.

woodpile-1.jpg

Peter,how do you know how much you are selling if its not stacked?Do you sell by the truck load ?

I built wooden sides on my dump trailer to hold 180 cu. ft. loose thrown which = one cord

6 x 10 x 3 ft high = 180 cu. ft.

It's actually about 33" high not 3 ft, but I mound the wood a little in the middle.

Also, the first cord I put in it, I stacked and measured 4 x 4 x 8, then threw it in the trailer as a reference point to make sure .

I don't sell a lot, maybe 15-20 cords a year, but I don't want to short anyone.

Sounds like a simple yet efficient system.

Status
Not open for further replies.