Soot on the snow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

parthy

Nov 23, 2013
Gimli, MB
I searched and read up on what someone called "bat wings" . Black flecks on snow outside that just smear when you touch them. It started when the really cold weather began. Due to my insulation issue I run the stove very hot. It has been -33 with windchills tonight of -46 expected. It's almost noon here and -31. From what I have read this is normal. My STT runs about 600 to 675 when I am here. When I go to work or sleep longer than I should, I am almost always able to light with very, very dry pine without any assist. It is not a lot and only in a wierd area at the back of the house, very close to the house, while my chimney is in the front.

How often do you clean your chimney? Is it an internal or external one?

It sounds like you may be drafting so hard that you're pulling unburnt material out the top of your stove.

I've run my T5 at -30C, with a heavy wind, haven't seen "batwings", but my chimney may not draft as hard as yours.

Reactions: stoveliker
I searched and read up on what someone called "bat wings" . Black flecks on snow outside that just smear when you touch them. It started when the really cold weather began. Due to my insulation issue I run the stove very hot. It has been -33 with windchills tonight of -46 expected. It's almost noon here and -31. From what I have read this is normal. My STT runs about 600 to 675 when I am here. When I go to work or sleep longer than I should, I am almost always able to light with very, very dry pine without any assist. It is not a lot and only in a wierd area at the back of the house, very close to the house, while my chimney is in the front.
Man, if it was that cold here I would leave my mulberry piles alone and go to my hedge!😨