Sooteater and 90 degree angles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DamienBricka

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
I just got my Sooteater delivered today. Tomorrow I will use it to clean my chimney.
Any pointers to go around a 90 degree angle.

What color are the rods in your kit - white or black?

The older version I have has white rods, these are flexible to the point I can easily bend one in a loop with one hand. They would negotiate a 90 no problem.
In a thread last year we figured out that at some point recently they switched to a new black rod made of a stiffer plastic that wont bend so easily.

If you have the black this might be a problem........

Reactions: CenterTree
Is the WHITE rod version discontinued then???

Is the WHITE rod version discontinued then???

I don't know, but a bunch of guys who have bought one in the last year all reported having the stiff black rods.....

I got mine from northline express about 3 years ago.

I have black rods. Now I am not so confident in cleaning my flue with it tomorrow and having a rod stuck in the flue.

I have black rods. Now I am not so confident in cleaning my flue with it tomorrow and having a rod stuck in the flue.
I would imagine you WON'T have a "stuck" rod,,,,you may end up with TWO pieces of rod though._g

So should I go for it or should I return the product and go another route

So should I go for it or should I return the product and go another route
Not sure what to tell ya,,,I never used one yet. ( I too have a 90degree to deal with).

But if ya do try it be sure to let us know the results.

And since you are just "down the road" from me, you can let me borrow it when you are done.;);lol

And since you are just "down the road" from me, you can let me borrow it when you are done.;);lol

I will do that...........................lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I have the black rods and there's no way they would make a 90-degree turn, unless we're talking 48" sewer pipe...

I have the black rods and there's no way they would make a 90-degree turn, unless we're talking 48" sewer pipe...

Does not sound encouraging............I took one rod and was able to bend it about 120 degree with my hands...............so I will try tomorrow. If it breaks I will send it back and get my money back

From the information I got these rods are for the pellet stove chimneys

One third of the chimney is done so far no broken rods. I did put a piece of paper at the bottom of the pipe. Lots of soot and creosote.
When I done I will tell you guys how much I had in all the pipes. Talk to you soon.......

I cleaned the chimney today. I was impressed at how easy it was to operate. I got a lot of soot out of it. See picture.

Attachments

• 01242014 022.jpg
    01242014 022.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 282
Reactions: jatoxico
I cleaned the chimney today. I was impressed at how easy it was to operate. I got a lot of soot out of it. See picture.

Were you able to get the black rods to make a 90-degree turn in a 6" flue without breaking? If so, amazing!

Were you able to get the black rods to make a 90-degree turn in a 6" flue without breaking? If so, amazing!

Yes I was I just took my time.... it took me 2 hours to get the job done and I did it at a very slow speed

Reactions: DanCorcoran
I have the black rods. The Defiant pipe goes into the chimney, has a 90 degree bend and then straight up. The black rods will make the turn, just be prepared to break a rod once every other year.

I have the black rods and they are stiff. Make sure you follow the directions to the letter. I think the trick is to keep it moving up and down. i am guessing I kept it spinning in one spot and it got cut on a sharp edge? Great product but rods should be more flexible.

Great product but rods should be more flexible.

I agree with you.

I know next time a use it a will put a piece of clothes at the end of the T so that the rod does not get scratched by It.
I also saw that replacement rods are not that expensive. Even if two were to break each time I am still ahead of the game.
Here in Pittsburgh the cheapest sweeper I found was $200 a shot.

When the Sooteater first came out all the rods were the white flexible ones. I guess they kept breaking because then they came with the black/brown ones that I hate to work with.

the black/brown ones that I hate to work with.

I will agree with you I had a hard time flexing it to put the rod in the pipe at an angle but with patience and care all turned out OK

I must have been doing it wrong because the rods flopping around flexing and letting the metal connectors beat the heck out of my liner irritated me and I put the thing on a shelf and went back to brushing.

Status
Not open for further replies.