Sooteater without a vacuum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fod01

Feeling the Heat
Nov 4, 2008
Long Island
Any of you folks use the sooteater without a vacuum running to the stove?

That seems to be the biggest hassle for me. I keep the Craftsman shopvac outside, and run an old pool hose to the stove.
I get the stove/ liner clean, but now I've got a vacuum and hose that need cleaning as well.

Gabe

I'm interesting in the response to this from anybody that chimes in...I just got my soot eater and was just planning on scooping out whatever fell from my liner...

I think some vacs may be better than others for this task. My dad's vac has a dustbag availalable that would contain all the soot. I dont think I have that option, so its a PITA to remove the paper filter, brush the insides of the vac etc. I'm hoping to hear how dusty the job is with just the plastic in place.

Cleaned my chimney bottom-up once with the sooteater. Just taped the plastic to my PE Super insert and left a narrow gap for the sooteater. Even without a Shopvac running most of the creosote just fell straight down into the stove. Mostly black, powdery stuff; maybe a cup full. My wife wanted to mop the living room anyway afterwards but there was very little dirt outside the stove. Pulling out the poles and the sooteater certainly left a bigger mess.

I wouldnt do mine WITHOUT the vac. Way too much dust falling-especially in a cold chimney. If you can, put the vac outside and run a long hose. You'll be happier in the end.

Use a tarp for the poles. I used a wet rag and a bucked as I pulled out the poles. really helped with the cleanup.

I cleaned mine from the roof last fall on a windy day. I stood upwind and all the soot was blown away from me. I did use a shop vac to clean the inside and snout. Vac was outside on the front porch with two sections of hose through the window to the stove. Just a little brown soot in the cleanout cap.

i do it without the vac ijust let it fall then scoop it up. i really dont get a lot so not to bad.

No vac - just slow down if I see a soot cloud. This may not work for you as I have a 32' interior chinmey that drafts in all weather

Aaron

Seventy bucks buys a Ridgid vac with a drywall filter at Home Depot with enough suction to pull a golf ball through a garden hose. It stops soot too.

Never use vac with sooteater. Only plastic sheet in cover the stove, and another sheet on the floor in front of stove. It's not that messy.

Cheers.....Som

Thanks all... I'll give it a try without the vac and let you know.

Gabe

James02 said:
I'm interesting in the response to this from anybody that chimes in...I just got my soot eater and was just planning on scooping out whatever fell from my liner...

I have a 6" flue straight from the stove to the cap. I take off the pipe from the stove to the class a termination and clean it outdoors with no vacuum. I found a 1 gal. non-tox antifreeze bottle that, with the bottom cut off, perfectly fits the class a to stove pipe adapter. I tape the bottle to the adapter and feed the sooteater through the neck hole. My wife holds the Meile with a HEPA filter to the neck hole and collects about 98% of the soot in the Meile bag. I pour a gallon of water on the bag and set it in the yard for a couple of days before putting it in the trash. Vacuum never gets dirty inside.

Basement iunstall for me- no plastic, no vacuum. Just let her rip up the flue and go. Never see very much dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.