Speaking Of Storms...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbocruiser

Feeling the Heat
Jun 10, 2011
Rocky Mountains Majesty
I've seen several threads about severe storms and cleaning afterwords any wood which fell but I have a different question for you folks now speaking of storms ...

Suppose a severe storm is on its way during winter when the stove is set to "full force". What do you do or what don't you do in regards to the stove? In other words, for a soft snow storm you obviously let it run but if there are any tornados in the area then do you immediately stop the stove? If so, how. If not, why and when would one want to take some special precautions (hail, lightning, rain, snow, tornado, wind, etc.)? Thanks.

I have no advice on this...but a snow tornado sounds incredible. would like to see one if they exist.

Delta-T said:
I have no advice on this...but a snow tornado sounds incredible. would like to see one if they exist.

That's called a big blizzard!

Ya, in most of the areas where folks heat with wood, tornados are non-existent during the winter months. You could look up some facts perhaps from NOAA but I do recall seeing something recently about numbers of tornadoes per month in various areas. Very, very, very few during our normal heating season and those that do happen do so in the far south.

All in all, it is not something to be concerned with at all. But maybe this was put out here just for a funny?

Winter storm with high winds will affect draft either way.

Note same, and roll with it. At the time, there'll be more pressing probs to be concerned with.

Backwoods Savage said:
Ya, in most of the areas where folks heat with wood, tornados are non-existent during the winter months. You could look up some facts perhaps from NOAA but I do recall seeing something recently about numbers of tornadoes per month in various areas. Very, very, very few during our normal heating season and those that do happen do so in the far south.

All in all, it is not something to be concerned with at all. But maybe this was put out here just for a funny?

No the thread's not for a funny (although I already warned everyone that my sincere questions sometimes sound super stupid!) I really was serious about asking what one would do when a severe storm is starting somewhere close. There are all sorts of seasons here where it is indeed cool enough to exercise the stove but where we also have awful weather ranging from hail to rain to snow to winds easily in excess of 50mph. Granted in the winter the local tornado threat is zero and that sort of sounded ridiculous really so thanks for pointing that part out (DOH! I'm dumb sometimes :) ) but other than negating tornadoes I really do need to know what I would do in those other times.

When I was using my factory built fireplace for example I'd basically avoid using it in any strong weather because everything bounced into the chimney, wind would push the smoke towards inside OR it would suck some huge hot embers wayyy up towards the outside, I could actually hear the chimney cap shaking slightly with strong winds, softer hail sometimes actually clogged the "chicken wire cage" that terminated the chimney cap, and lastly since we had to have at least one window slightly open for air flow it really wasn't reasonable to use the fireplace with any strong weather anyway unless the utilities went out and we absolutely were forced to.

So I'm sincerely asking if stoves are such that all these concerns are properly addressed and you can pretty much burn no matter how horrible it is outside or if there is a particular wind speed when you would shut the stove down, or a really heavy rain/sleet/snow/hail situation where you would shut the stove down. That's all I was wondering and then if there is such a situation, what's the right technique for shutting the stove down rapidly but without warping it or anything at all damaging to it? Again sorry for so many stupid questions, for what its worth though they are all sincere (and probably also sincerely stupid!). Thanks Again.

Thanks for clearing that up Turbo.

As for shutting down a stove that is burning; not a whole lot can be done. Folks have tried to snuff out fires but usually that causes more problems because of smoke and if they try to use water then steam is a problem. Perhaps those things that can snuff out chimney fires could be used. But overall, I have never had a problem like that and have never concerned myself with it.

As for the winter storms causing problems with the stove, we have not noticed much problem at all, even with 50 mph winds. We've experienced more problems just before the storm hits and the problems are always problems with drafting. The chimney does not want to draw much so we have to give it extra air and sometimes add some kindling to the fire if it is balking. Once the storm is here and the wind is howling, we are nice and cozy with no problems.

I will say that when we had an OAK is when we had backpuffing problems and that was mostly just before the storm. I hope this helps.

Backwoods Savage said:
Thanks for clearing that up Turbo.

As for shutting down a stove that is burning; not a whole lot can be done. Folks have tried to snuff out fires but usually that causes more problems because of smoke and if they try to use water then steam is a problem. Perhaps those things that can snuff out chimney fires could be used. But overall, I have never had a problem like that and have never concerned myself with it.

As for the winter storms causing problems with the stove, we have not noticed much problem at all, even with 50 mph winds. We've experienced more problems just before the storm hits and the problems are always problems with drafting. The chimney does not want to draw much so we have to give it extra air and sometimes add some kindling to the fire if it is balking. Once the storm is here and the wind is howling, we are nice and cozy with no problems.

I will say that when we had an OAK is when we had backpuffing problems and that was mostly just before the storm. I hope this helps.

Yes it definitely does! Thanks so much. This is awesome information. Thanks Again.

We had a gale blow in from Siberia last winter--I think around February--winds were 40+ mph, and I'm on the leeward side of a crest of a very large hill, so the winds were whipping trees around like I've never seen inland before.

I am one of the minority here who chose to put a damper in my stove pipe--it's a unit with damper and about a six-inch run of pipe. It's the bottom-most piece of stovepipe. It's turned out to be useful to me, which makes me suggest that I have excessive draft. The damper helped me control the stove during the storm. Did I jump on it and try to put the fire out? Heck no! I cozied up next to the fire and listed to the wind howling in the stovepipe.

I love a good storm. For those who enjoy vicarious weather, here was our statewide summary: http://climate.gi.alaska.edu/Statewide/2011/Feb.html

usually end up burning a tiny bit more wood and suffer an occasional back puff, here.

Status
Not open for further replies.