Spiral Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

REM505

And to think I was going to junk that old Mazda!

&lt;object width="640" height="510"&gt;&lt;param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N1HZztie5ac?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param>&lt;embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N1HZztie5ac?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="510" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"&gt;&lt;/embed>&lt;/object&gt;

[youtube]http://youtu.be/N1HZztie5ac[/youtube]

hopefully one of these links work...

Wow. :bug: Havent seen one of those deathtraps since the late 70's.Remember seeing ads for them in Mother Earth News & couple other mags.

Yes, sadly there were a lot of people hurt when using them.

Backwoods Savage said:
Yes, sadly there were a lot of people hurt when using them.

comon what could possibly be dangerous about that? I would however keep any loose clothing away
3d_frown.gif

I saw one of these listed in Craigslist a few days ago for $75. Why are they considered dangerous? They don't seem very practical to me... too slow, but can't see how they'd be dangerous.

They might be less dangerous if there was a dead man sw or a way to instantly stop rotation just like a splitter can be stopped when you let off the handle. With all that said they look too slow to bother.

That is the spookiest thing I have ever seen! I thought it was a joke until I read the rest of the thread..... Damn, I can see myself getting all twisted up in that thing! Well, not me but some other dipstick.

Kenster said:
Why are they considered dangerous?

They were notorious for grabbing loose clothing with no way to stop the machine. It would drag you right in and begin to mangle. The original company that built these things got sued out of business.

try this

I'll use my maul thank you

pen

I can see how that gizmo might be dangerous is you're careless. I don't see any grounds for a lawsuit if it's used the way it is supposed to be used. Of course, grounds or not, you can sue for anything and whacky juries are happy to give away someone else's money.

How many people have had hands and arms and even scalps ripped off by the PTO on a tractor yet they are still very much in use?

No one has sued the chainsaw makers out of business but how many people are maimed and killed each year by chainsaws?

Still, I think this thing would be too slow to be practical.

As mentioned, there's the issue of clothes/gloves getting caught. There's also the issue of the vehicle vibrating off its jack/support. Some later models recommended an engine kill switch to use in an emergency, but it's still too dangerous for my taste.

Here's another one: The Stickler

TreePointer said:
As mentioned, there's the issue of clothes/gloves getting caught. There's also the issue of the vehicle vibrating off its jack/support. Some later models came with an engine kill switch to use in an emergency, but it's still too dangerous for my taste.

Some of those things are mounted on the lugs with the tire in place. It would not have to be jacked up very high, just enough for the tire to clear the ground. The downside here, of course, is that if the jack failed and the tire made contact with the ground the vehicle is going to take off on its own!

If the tire is removed and the jack fails, the vehicle is not going anywhere. I think jack stands would be the way to go, not just a bumper jack.

I have no intention of buying one, either.

Kenster said:
I can see how that gizmo might be dangerous is you're careless. I don't see any grounds for a lawsuit if it's used the way it is supposed to be used. Of course, grounds or not, you can sue for anything and whacky juries are happy to give away someone else's money.

How many people have had hands and arms and even scalps ripped off by the PTO on a tractor yet they are still very much in use?

No one has sued the chainsaw makers out of business but how many people are maimed and killed each year by chainsaws?

Still, I think this thing would be too slow to be practical.

Defend it if you wish, your call, but I place them right up there with a buzz saw with no guards and a chainsaw without a brake. Yep, they work (well, in most cases), but it is adding a layer of danger that is not needed.

At least today's PTO shafts move inside an immobile shield if chained properly, and you really don't have to get near a PTO shaft. These screw type splitters, however, require the operator to be very near them.

TreePointer said:
As mentioned, there's the issue of clothes/gloves getting caught. There's also the issue of the vehicle vibrating off its jack/support. Some later models recommended an engine kill switch to use in an emergency, but it's still too dangerous for my taste.

HehHeh . . . promotional literature for The Stickler says it is the safest way to split wood . . . not quite sure how they figured that out.

Check my sig link. I still use my bark buster brand unicorn splitter. No gloves, no beer, short hair, and no long sleeves. No injuries yet.

The dang thing is at least as fast as a hydro splitter if the wood is straight grained. Much like a hydro splitter, you only need to screw the tip in until the round splits.

You do realize that other parts of the world use this type of splitter very often?

No defending it but I think it is no more dangerous than hydraulics if you had a way to easily and quickly stop it.

Wonder if hitting the kill/panic switch on your vehicle's remote would do it?

few are the splitters that also double as a drink blender...gotta love a multi-purpose tool.

Looks about a safe as lawn jarts. Anyone remember those metal tipped lawn darts from the 60' and 70's? People were getting hit in the head with those things. I was fun for a bit until people got hurt.

And they'd do a job on a trash can lid, or car hood! Punch right through sheet metal easily!

fishingpol said:
Looks about a safe as lawn jarts. Anyone remember those metal tipped lawn darts from the 60' and 70's? People were getting hit in the head with those things. I was fun for a bit until people got hurt.

Sure I remember those. Some kids got in big trouble at school when a few teacher's tires got hit during a 'war game' at recess.Couple other students got hit in lower leg region.

Status
Not open for further replies.