Spirovent and exp tank question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsmaster

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2010
N.W. Ohio
Ok laying out my plumbing and the directions on the spirovent show that even though im using a mixing valve the spirovent is on the supply side with the expansion tank on the return before the pump.
Is this right? I thought the exp. tank was to hook to the bottom of the spirovent both on the supply even though my pump is on the return do to mixing valve.

This sounds like my set up.Expansion before circulator on return and spirovent on supply side.
The spirovent needs to be on supply so it can get rid of air as water is heated up and circulator needs to be after the expansion tank.
All though the expansion tank can be connected to the spirovent it is not necessary, it comes in handy if you have your circulator after the spirovent/exp combination.

Thanks for confirming that. I'll just plug the hole at the bottom of the spirovent.

I ended up putting a ball valve and a plug,that way I could occasionally see if any debris settled at the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.