Splitter part Deux

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
don thanks so much that was a grate video looks like you have wood hidden all over your place :) the splitter definitely woks good for what you paid. also save yourself some big pieces for the all night fires :)

also what video editing software did you use to make the movie. I'm tempted to buy another software program but looks like i am going to Waite and buy a mac in Jan comes free with imovie i use movie maker that came with windows xp for now.

thanks
Jason

What kind of wood was that in the video? What is your overall impression? Thanks for posting that video. KD

Let me guess on the wood: sycamore?

Great video. I don't have any wood to split but still want to get one. I should buy one though because I never know when I will scrounge up my next truckload.

Thanks everyone. I'm not sure of the wood species. It was of the free variety ;) I believe the first piece was some 1 1/2 year old maple, and the second was some red oak. I don't know. I know they're not pine and that's fine with me :) I can try and take some close up pics and see if you guys can identify it for me.

As far as video software, I just used Windows Movie Maker that came with XP. I only wish it came with more compression options.

Overal opinion of the splitter, well it works good enough for my purposes. It will split most of the wood that I have and allows me to have more control over the size of the splits. Plus I was able to get it for half the "Brand New" price. I'm sure there will be pieces it will give up on, but that's to be expected. I'll save those pieces for the wedge and sledge.

That's a great, informative video! We get our wood already split but I wonder if something like this would be handy to split the splits for smaller pieces when we need them. Our new stove's firebox will be smaller than the old one. I looked at the manual splitters with the foot pedal but this looks like a great Christmas present for hubby!

You're my kind of woman!!!!! :coolsmile:

Yes, alot of people have them for just small splitting loads (i.e. small diameter logs, splitting already split pieces). I just happen to be trying it on stuff that I only split in half. I had to split the stuff in half just to get it into the truck, it was that heavy.

Thank you! He has bad knees and ankles and anything I can get him to keep him from further pain is the least I can do. I notice you do have to watch for falling logs--make sure your feet are protected. Also, I was amazed at the lack of curse words. :) I'll have to show Paul your video.

Status
Not open for further replies.