Splitter with Loglift

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that is the one they were selling at Harbor Freight last year. As I recall, someone here bought one.

I like the out feed table on it. I'm not sure if you saw this or not but the log lift is mechanical, not hydraulic. The 4 way wedge is nice, but make sure it is removable. I used a friednds 24 ton and it had trouble with the 4 way on real big stuff. Once removed, it worked fine.

wannabegreener said:
I like the out feed table on it. I'm not sure if you saw this or not but the log lift is mechanical, not hydraulic. The 4 way wedge is nice, but make sure it is removable. I used a friednds 24 ton and it had trouble with the 4 way on real big stuff. Once removed, it worked fine.
+1 on the outfeed table.

The log lift sure looks like it is hydraulic. The cylinder, lines, and second lever are clearly visible.

Agree that the 4-way could be taxed with 24 tons, but it does look to be removable.

The only thing I don't like is the location of the levers. My guess is it's located to be able to run the log lift and for splitting from the right side (as per the video). The lift gets in the way when resplitting and it's too far from the levers to the outfeed table. I think most folk would split from the left side and use the log lift as an infeed work table. I would relocate the levers.

I just wonder if it a different picture. The text is confusing. It says mechanical, but then it says lift by pulling on the control lever???

Maybe ask a question on eBay, but since it is a buy it now, there may not be anyone watching the eBay ad.

Me thinks the video would remove all doubt unless there is a bait and switch angle going on. There is a note on the ebay ad that the seller is away until Jan 3rd.

Topic resurrection!

Looking at both of these splitters, the northstar and the woodpecker (more the woodpecker due to price). Found a thread on arborist about the Woodpecker and the one user has had issues with the beam but the new one says it is reinforced, just trying find someone that owns one and can give an up to date review of it.

Thanks!

Since it has a Vangaurd On it I doubt it came from H.F.

Log lift is definitely cool.
They ship a rebuild kit for the cyclinder with the splitter, not sure if I like that or no.... maybe I'm reading too much into that.

The not so cool,

11 GPM pump on a 4.5" cylinder is Congressionally SLOW, 22 second cycle time, ugh.
Looks like the unit may not have an auto retract valve? Operator had his hand on the lever the whole cycle.

It for sure has some cons, but $2100 vs $5000 for a used TW-5 with log lift is quite a difference, if I had 100 cords sitting waiting to be cut and split it would make this decision a lot easier. With only 12-15 cords for this season I think I should start small, I could basically pay off this splitter by the end of the season.

The log lift clearly is hydraulic. It is a fairly nice design, but appears to be a bit low for my liking (back breaker). The controls position is way out of line. Can only run the machine from the lift side - and it appears to be far enough back that there is no way to one hand the log while splitting - and we all know that the log doesn't always sit like you want it to. The ergonomics of the machine is screwy.

Status
Not open for further replies.