SPLITTING

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ROYJ24

Oct 3, 2007
S. JERSEY
Besides maul & wedges, what other tool can I use? 8-/

a good splitting axe or a hired hand

I sounds like you're getting of hand splitting Roy. My advice it try and not make a 'project' out of hand splitting. Split till just before you get tired then hop on the lawn mower or do something else..then go back to splitting. After a couple of weeks doing this you'll find your duration at the woodpile is less exhausting and more importantly less mentally taxing. Then you'll look around at all the other things you've accomplished and feel like you're 20 years younger. but more importantly you'll split a ton of wood and you won't be aching. Oh, and wear some gloves too.

well, being only 33 years young, I love my haudraulic plitter and I tell yeah I get enough of a workout with using that too

what the heck is that? a 60-70 hairstyle?

I've used a froe. It's a handle with a blade that comes off at a right angle. The sharp part of the blade faces away from the handle so that the handle is straight up in the air when in use. You strike the other side of the blade with a wooden implement to get it started then pull on the handle to twist the bade and split the piece.

<--------That's a fro.

A froe is commonly used for making thin wide splits- like for shingles ("riving", "rived" wood follows a split rather than being sawn). This is great for thinner pieces or making kindling, but not useful for larger pieces. Safer way to split, say- in the basement. Normally someone riving shingles from oak would have a fence-looking setup to hold the pieces so that they don't twist away when splitting with a froe.

Adios Pantalones said:
If you're going to use gloves to split wood- I suggest sharpening them

Now that may work. :)

I keep my kindling hatchet razer sharp and last night I was splitting a little kindling for next year on a springy pine needle surface and the hatchet bounced off the split and landed on the back of my hand, drawing blood. Patched it with a bandade but be especially careful with those sharpened gloves.

Status
Not open for further replies.