Spring cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kversch

Dec 26, 2014
New York
with last weeks warmth and rain all day Thursday all the snow and ice is gone now. So and all my wood was cut and split for now. So I spent Friday afternoon cleaning all the left overs up. Man there's a lot of back and sawdust. Black locust bark is such a pita. When it's a huge old tree. What do you guys do with all your sawdust? Right now just have a big pile. Trying tithing of what I could do with it.

image_zpstpky3yhk.jpe
image_zpsait8g7ej.jpe
image_zpse4njhtbg.jpe

That's only half the saw dust the rest is behind the cherry log I'm saving for a project

I see woods in the background I would get rid of it there if it's your property. You could also start a fire outside to get rid of the black locust bark if you don't save it, and add some sawdust to the fire here and there to get rid of it.

I do most of my bucking in the woods but what I buck in the yard is minimal and gets dispersed by the mower. Maybe till it into a garden or a mulch bed? The sawdust, that is. I toss the bark that falls off into my woods

Mulch around trees or stacks to keep weeds down.

My wife likes it for mulch in her gardens and flower beds.

sawdust is a good mulch for paths or for areas where you are trying to keep weeds down. However, sawdust is very low in nitrogen and other nutrients, so when it decomposes it absorbs nutrients from the soil, and this can inhibit the growth of plants. Don't add sawdust to the vegetable garden, for example.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Find a cheap supply of wax and make your own fire starters.

bob

sawdust is a good mulch for paths or for areas where you are trying to keep weeds down. However, sawdust is very low in nitrogen and other nutrients, so when it decomposes it absorbs nutrients from the soil, and this can inhibit the growth of plants. Don't add sawdust to the vegetable garden, for example.

Depends on the soil content. We have animal manure, in particular horse manure, that we mix with the sawdust in compost piles to decompose. Horse manure is exceptionally high in nitrogen so the sawdust helps decrease the nitrogen content.

I would put the sawdust in the compost heap.
The bark I would dump in the woods. A heap if I wanted a tiny pile of dirt in a couple of years. Spread out for ground contact and quick decomposition if I just wanted to get rid of it.

When building a compost pile you mix "green" stuff with "brown" stuff. Sawdust and chips are great for the brown stuff part.

Status
Not open for further replies.