Squealing blower motor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cards385

Hearth Supporter
Nov 24, 2008
Pa.
How can I quiet down my blower moter. I emailed England stove and they told me to use WD40, I took off the back cover and tried it. It did quiet it down but it only lasted about 2 days, now it is back to squeeling like a pig. The blower works fine at all speeds but it is just so loud. Anyone else have the same problem and how did you fix it?

Time to replace the motor.
The shaft rides on a sleeve bearing and I`ve not ever seen anything but a temporary improvement by relubing it.

Are we talking about the combustion or convection blower motor? The convection (room air) blower motor on my Astoria has little yellow plugs that you can remove, and put a couple drops of light household oil into.....it runs down and lubes the bearings.

Yes it is the room air blower, looking at my stove from the rear it is on the left side.

had the same problem with my exhaust blower, called the dealer and had him change it out. i wont deal with wd40 fixes on my heat source.

Is that the blower that's making noise? If so, and if it's anything like mine (Fasco motor), it might have 2 small holes on top, possibly covered with a yellow plug. Pull the plugs with a thin screwdriver, and put 2-3 drops of 20 weight (3 in 1 type) light oil into the holes. It will run down to the bearings.

Hope this helps, but if not, you may have to replace the motor/blower.

j00fek said:
had the same problem with
my exhaust blower, called the dealer and had him change it out...

That's all cool but Englander stoves don't have Dealers.

If this stove is under warranty I'd call ESW again and tell them
the quick fix didn't cut it. If it's a new stove
especially, nothing on it should be making high pitched sounds.

The stove is 1 month old, I did send another email to England Stove asking for a replacement blower. I tried calling but I guess they are not in on weekends. They were pretty good about answering other emails I sent so I will wait and see what their response is. After the wd40 treatment, now it is an intermittent sqweal or wine, not quite as bad as before. But bad enough that I must turn up the tv.

In the interim I will look for the 2 holes on top and try some 3 and 1 oil in them. Thanks for the adsvise.

They may not be there today due to the Holiday,
but much of the time the techs do half days on Saturday.
10 am to 1 pm, something like that. I've seen Mike
from ESW mention it on it.

Hope it works out for you.

Relubing is OK but a temporay fix at best . The squealing is caused from dry metal against dry metal resulting in shaft / bearing wear which increases the tolerences between the two. The damage is usually already done by the time you hear it making noise.
Just get a new motor. I got a new one (just to have on hand) at the local motor shop for $44.
The blower motor is almost always available in a generic form.
Grainger`s supply is a common place to get one at an inexpensive cost too.

I would stay away from WD40 and other regular lubes, and try some Tuff Oil, or another Teflon based synthetic lube. It is available in a pen oiler at auto parts stores. Put a lot on, let it wash out the old lube, do it a couple of times, and finally wipe up all that is where it shouldn't be. Old lube us the cause of most problems, as it keeps the new lube from getting in and results in, as a previous poster said, metal on metal contact remaining. You can also try solvents such as alcohol to flush out the old, dried up, hardened lube.Then follow with teflon lube. I have saved MANY small motors this way, bearing and bushing, and even linear-leadscrew motors.

breklaw said:
I would stay away from WD40 and other regular lubes, and try some Tuff Oil, or another Teflon based synthetic lube. It is available in a pen oiler at auto parts stores. Put a lot on, let it wash out the old lube, do it a couple of times, and finally wipe up all that is where it shouldn't be. Old lube us the cause of most problems, as it keeps the new lube from getting in and results in, as a previous poster said, metal on metal contact remaining. You can also try solvents such as alcohol to flush out the old, dried up, hardened lube.Then follow with teflon lube. I have saved MANY small motors this way, bearing and bushing, and even linear-leadscrew motors.

good call

A much better lube than WD40 is Aerokroil. Only availble in gun shops and from Kano Labs, as far as I know.
Great stuff, and unlike WD40, it doesn't seem to hold/attract as much dust/particles as WD does. WD will get "gummy" after awhile.

Try the kroil...best thing since beer in a can. ;)

Jim

Thanks to all for the advise. I am heading out to get a better lube. I will let you guys know how it works.

For everybody that mentioned WD-40, just be advised that it is NOT a permanent replacement for regular lubricating oil. It works great in a pinch as a temporary lube and loosens things up, but not for a final fix or for regular maintenance.

Yes, the Tuff Oil is what I use too, but you doesn't need to flush out the bearings.....just put some Tuff Oil in, and it will displace whatever is there eventually. Just a couple of drops should do it.

If you can't find the Tuff Oil, regular 3 in 1 oil works well too. Pretty much any light (20w) NON detergent oil will be fine.

Good News!!! I contacted England Stove Works and explained my situation with the squealing blower motor and without hesitation they are going to send me a new blower motor. That is great customer service. They emailed me today to tell me that it was shipped today. Great customer service.

cards385 said:
Good News!!! I contacted England Stove Works and explained my situation with the squealing blower motor and without hesitation they are going to send me a new blower motor. That is great customer service. They emailed me today to tell me that it was shipped today. Great customer service.

That`s good news and the best solution.
As I said before once you hear the sqealing (dry shaft) it is usually too late to fix with a relube attempt , although it might quiet down temporarily the damage has been done.

Status
Not open for further replies.