St croix Pepin auger issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hanesie

Jan 17, 2015
I just got home and started up my st croix pepin pellet stove- that has been running great since I got it

Went back out in the garage and saw that it had shut off- don't know why

So I restarted it and watched - it ran for about 5 minutes and all of a sudden the auger just quits dropping pellets down- it will work if you hit the manual button for pellet drop

I swept it out thinking that was the problem and it did the same thing again

Does anyone have any Idea what my problem could be with this stove ??

Any help is appreciated !!!!

And what led(s) was(were) blinking on the control panel)?
The main power light was on and the feed light stayed on I believe- only lights on this model

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 132
How long since last good full cleaning?

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Has been about 2 months since a good full cleansing

Ok so I just restarted it - it ran for exactly 10 minutes- it fed the pot and as I started to feel some good heat it shut it down and the fuel feed light has gone from blinking (it blinks when it feeds the lot) to just a solid light now- and feeding has stopped

Your way way overdue to clean it. I suspect and others will probably pile on to that the exhaust paths are full and poor fan can't expel enough gases to keep the vaccum switch pulled in.

It needs a good cleaning. The proof of fire system isn't seeing enough heat to close the circuit that starts the room blower would be my bet.

Flip of a coin with Smokey.

Thanks guys- I really don't know anything about pellet stoves- I got this one for $100 and threw it in my garage and it heats it great- until now haha- what exactly do you mean by exhaust paths? I usually take the shop vac to the inside before each time I turn it on- clean out the dust and stuff after using the shakers

Should I pull off the case and clean the ash bins and blow it out w my leaf blower? Do you think the exhaust pipe that goes to "outside" of my house would need cleaned out too??

Download a manual and I think eventempinc.com may have some videos on cleaning the stove too.

Thanks guys- I really don't know anything about pellet stoves- I got this one for $100 and threw it in my garage and it heats it great- until now haha- what exactly do you mean by exhaust paths? I usually take the shop vac to the inside before each time I turn it on- clean out the dust and stuff after using the shakers

Should I pull off the case and clean the ash bins and blow it out w my leaf blower? Do you think the exhaust pipe that goes to "outside" of my house would need cleaned out too??

Every place from just above the burn pot is part of the exhaust path, it ends just outside the vent end. It goes up and around and to the left and right and back down and towards the center of the stove behind the firebox wall and out past the exhaust blower to the vent and on through the vent to the outside world. It all needs cleaning. All of it, no exceptions.

Ok I am going to clean it good tomorrow hoping that is the issue and that I don't need to buy any parts - just blow it good with a leaf blower ?

Most times the advice is to set the damper (I'm guessing that is what you are calling the air valve) with a pencil; close the damper on it, then slide the pencil out. That should get you real close, then make minor adjustments from there. Make sure to give it 10-15 minutes to establish its air pattern between adjustments (and don't start adjusting until the stove is fairly warm).

Ok I am going to clean it good tomorrow hoping that is the issue and that I don't need to buy any parts - just blow it good with a leaf blower ?

You use the suction end on the vent but you really need to do your brush work first and thumping of the firebox wall and vacuuming of what you can get out of the clean out ports that way.

Remember thumping is done to the metal not to any fake brick that is in front of the metal of the fire box wall. The object of the thumping is to loosen the ash behind that firebox so it gets to the clean outs.

Should I be running it with the air valve wide open ? (After its clean and working properly)

Close the damper on a #2 pencil and adjust the set screw.

What do you mean adjust set screw ?

Suction end on the vent?

Sorry for all the questions guys I'm clueless on this and learning as I go

If you enter the exhaust blower cavity by taking the motor assembly out you will need a combustion blower gasket as they don't usually survive the operation

What do you mean adjust set screw ?

Suction end on the vent?

Sorry for all the questions guys I'm clueless on this and learning as I go

You need a leaf blower with vacuum capability, the suction side of that device is placed over the vent pipe (termination cap removed) and the ash comes out the part that one normally uses to move the leaves with.

There should be a screw on the "air valve" that can be adjusted to set a damper stop point.

The game is played this way once the damper gets set anytime you feel you need to open it up to get a proper burn it is time for a cleaning.

BTW you can thank a fellow Pepin burner for the Leaf Blower Trick being here.

ETA: One of many

Stcroixstoves has lot of very good informative videos on YouTube covering cleaning and adjusting of thier stoves. Was just there. Now back to the Red Green Show

If you bought the stove used, it could be missing the screw (mine doesn't have one). It isn't a necessity, just use the wrench to make your adjustments. If you don't have the wrench, you will really need to find one (it might be a regular allan wrench).

Status
Not open for further replies.