stack problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nauyaq

Feb 14, 2011
Kotzebue, AK
otz.net
I have a couple of problems with my stack that I need advice on.
1. I have a two story house with most of the stack outside so I need to warm the stack before I can light a fire otherwise the outside air which is heavier than the heated air backs up the smoke into the house. The dealer had a stack collar which warmed the stack but I returned it since it did not fit snugly into the stove. When it is not too cold out, I put a heat gun into the stove to warm it and then follow up with some newspapers for a fast fire but with the temp outside being -10 or colder this is harder to do.
Any suggestions.
2. Another problem I have is that when the wind picks up to above 20 mph this causes smoke to back up into the house. The problems here I think is that in installing the stovepipe since it was a through the wall installation, I have two 90 degree and a 45 degree. Next summer we are planning to reinstall straight up.
Any thoughts on this.

First of all, a straight flue should do wonders for you. Three bends??

Secondly, you need to get a good draft going from the beginning and you will do this if you use the "Top down" burning method discussed here frequently. You can do a search and find several threads but basically... you want to put a couple of large splits on the bottom of your stove, top that with two or three medium splits, topped with several small splits/kindling. Next, roll up about ten or so double pages of newspaper and tie it into a loose knot and throw those knots on top of the wood. Light the newspaper.
This way you instantly provide heat at the top of your wood pile. This heat instantly goes up the flue and begins to draw air behind it. The knots of newspaper burn plenty long to get your kindling going, which then starts the burning that is below the kindling and so on. In just a few minutes you'll have a roaring fire going. Once you get some good hot coals you can begin to add another split or two and you're all set for the evening.

With the "old way" you have a itty bitty fire at the bottom trying to catch big, cold splits above. This hinders your draft, which hinders getting a good fire going, often resulting in a smoky mess. Some of the members here are not fond of the top down but many are. As I said, do a search and decide for yourself but it should make a big difference for you since you know you need to heat the flue right off the bat. This is the way to do it.

Give it a try and see if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.