1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

stacks and a place to watch my ASH!!!!

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by woolybugger141, Aug 17, 2013.

1. woolybugger141

woolybugger141 Member

Loc:
    upstate new york
    Built a garage last year and behind it was a mess, finally got it leveled out and boxed in for most of our stacks. As a final touch i built a bench, the dear wife asks why? i say its my little piece of heaven on earth to plant and watch my ASH!!! ooh ya some silver maple too.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ajreid

ajreid Member

Loc:
    il
    Neighbors got any ASH? looks like you could watch their ASH too.
    ScotO likes this.
  3. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    Looks like you're pretty short on space but stacking the wood next to the wall like that is a sure fire way to infest that new garage with termites or carpenter ants.
  4. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    Well, it needed to be straightened up, which you did. It looks good, but I would agree with basod and say at least move the row that is right next to the garage.
  5. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    Nice use of limited space. I assume the lights in the soffit are dimmable to create the proper mood for viewing your ASH?

I understand the concerns about bugs near buildings. I haven't had a problem with stacking next to the building in 8 years doing it but it only gets stacked there after it is dry and the wood is covered. Who knows though, a little further south and not completely dry could put your building at risk.
    ScotO likes this.
  6. woolybugger141

woolybugger141 Member

Loc:
    upstate new york
    definately next year it will be moved a little further away. This will be burned first, i was able to squeeze about 6 face back there. i have another 7 that needs to be stacked, thats the next project i have a nice wide walkway on the side of the garage where im hopin to put the rest. here's a pic of the niagara river about 7 miles upstream from niagara falls. i get a nice constant wind for the stacks to dry. the pups waiting for the white stuff again she loves it and then she'll dry out and nap near the stove

Attached Files:

ScotO likes this.
  7. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Nice looking little 'nook back there, Woolybugger! I'd consider laying down (right on the ground) some heavy duty rubber roofing or something impermeable to curb the termites and ants from getting into the wood. When I build my shed, that's what I'm going to do underneath the entire thing.....rubber roofing after I smooth out the ground.....

I like that bench....looks like a good place to go and tilt a few beers back.....==c
  8. woolybugger141

woolybugger141 Member

Loc:
    upstate new york
    thx scotty, thats a great idea all i have now is landscaping fabric down, i was goin to put #2 stone down but that will have to wait till next year. definately i am goin to go with the rubber roofing and #2 stone on top next year. it is a great place to tip a few, i have one house behind me then the river.
    ScotO likes this.