Stainless liner cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pa44

Oct 26, 2017
Greentown pa
Prob a dumb question and prob already answered but my stainless liner is capped just above the clean out which makes cleaning a pain..I was told by the installer that it was supposed to be that way and the cap should not be removed and when I clean it just disassemble the stove pipe and get a vaccum capable of reaching in there and cleaning it up.. is this true? And if so why can't It be removed? Any info would be great

Prob a dumb question and prob already answered but my stainless liner is capped just above the clean out which makes cleaning a pain..I was told by the installer that it was supposed to be that way and the cap should not be removed and when I clean it just disassemble the stove pipe and get a vaccum capable of reaching in there and cleaning it up.. is this true? And if so why can't It be removed? Any info would be great
If there is a clean out we always run the liner down to it with a second tee. If you want it run down tell them to do it. Unless he specified in his quote the clean out would no longer be useable you had a reasonable expectation that it would be and he should do it for you. If he gives you a hard time point out to him that a clean out is actually required by code.

If the liner needs cleaned, so does the stove pipe. Clean it all at the same time. The second Tee and extra pipe cost more money, and isn’t necessary in most cases. Often isn’t even possible.

If the liner needs cleaned, so does the stove pipe. Clean it all at the same time. The second Tee and extra pipe cost more money, and isn’t necessary in most cases. Often isn’t even possible.
Yes not necessary usually but many times very nice. Especially if it is outside and you can clean from the bottom. Yes the pipe still needs pulled but I like having a clean out when possible. Which in this case it clearly is.