Stainless Steel Liner - How flexible?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deron

Nov 3, 2009
Northern Kentucky
How flexible are these liners? From where my damper opens, in order to connect an insert, I will need to go about three feet over and up.

From the info I've been researching online, I saw where an install used a couple elbows to get over the three feet to connect to the actual liner.
I'm guessing this 3 foot piece is separate from the liner itself.

Is this a fairly normal install? How would this impact cleaning?

Is it a tapered 3 feet, is it angled.. can you draw a sketch of it up.

Deron said:
How flexible are these liners? From where my damper opens, in order to connect an insert, I will need to go about three feet over and up.

From the info I've been researching online, I saw where an install used a couple elbows to get over the three feet to connect to the actual liner.
I'm guessing this 3 foot piece is separate from the liner itself.

Is this a fairly normal install? How would this impact cleaning?

You have "A Flex" the lighter stuff which is very stiff but flexible. Then there is the "z flex" which is heavier and much more flexlible. You could use rigid pipe with a 5' heavy flex tail at the end and a puller and do the job real easy like

Franks, I think you might be using a certain brand of Z flex that is like that... Z flex is a brand - sort of like calling a copier a xerox machine. From their website they use .005 which should be as flexible and lightweight as most flex machines. Most of us use the same gauges and same machines. Most use a drossbach machine but their are a few other ones out their. And most of us buy our metal from the same suppliers.

Franks said:
You have "A Flex" the lighter stuff which is very stiff but flexible. Then there is the "z flex" which is heavier and much more flexlible. You could use rigid pipe with a 5' heavy flex tail at the end and a puller and do the job real easy like

Nah, I use the light stuff from Bernard Dalsin currently. The heavier stuff I was refering to is the interlocking type that bends into itself. I havent used it in a while so the name escapes me. But yeah, now that you mentioned it, Z flex is just another brand of flex.

Franks said:

Nah, I use the light stuff from Bernard Dalsin currently. The heavier stuff I was refering to is the interlocking type that bends into itself. I havent used it in a while so the name escapes me. But yeah, now that you mentioned it, Z flex is just another brand of flex.

Not to hijack this thread or anything but when you refer to rigid pipe are you talking about the basic black single wall stove pipe with crimping at one end? Are there any special aspects of the Bernard Dalsin flex or is it just a thinner gauge flex pipe that you like? I'm trying to look into a similar situation and plan on starting a fresh thread but hopefully I'll have gathered enough info before hand so I can have a few less basic questions. Thanks

Rigid Stainless. Now, at our shop, we just use the light flex stuff and a cone to pull it thru. Just making a suggestion to help homeowners that may not have access to the same tools as we do and who cant spend $500 or so to get it done proffesionally.

If it's a straight chimney then rigid is fine, not black pipe but 304 SS. Black pipe can only be used in visible areas. But flex is at times just easier to use then even rigid because it's one single piece of pipe.

My flex was able to bend to make it through the offset in the chimney. To make it easier, I purchased an adjustable 45 degree stove connector so you can let the flex attach to the stove at an angle up to 45 degrees.Mine is connected at an angle much less than 45 but the connector made it so easy.

Here's the photos of my setup.

My fireplace with the old doors removed.

Here's a rough guesstimate of where the SS liner would need to be routed.

Here's my intention.

Attachments

• fireplace_need liner.jpg
    fireplace_need liner.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 192
  • fireplace want.jpg
    fireplace want.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 191
  • fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 192
I don't think that's to terrible of a bend for flex.. I would drop something down your chimney to figure out how much length you need and then get that amount of flex with a kit.

Deron said:
Here's the photos of my setup.

My fireplace with the old doors removed.

Here's a rough guesstimate of where the SS liner would need to be routed.

Here's my intention.

Status
Not open for further replies.