stanley cook stove rebuild

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a stanley wood cook stove (purchased new) as our primary heater, with no back up. It was apparent after 28 years of continues use that it needed a rebuild.
It would only hold a fire for 4 or 5 hours, when it was new it would hold a fire for 8 or 9 hours.
I disassembled the stove down to the base. I reassembled it with refractory cement as I went. Now I experience a quicker build-up of fuzzy creosote around my oven. I have to clean it 3 or 4 times each winter. Did
I rebuild it to tight or have I burned some wet wood by accident? Our wood piles are at least 3 years dry and are all outside under tarps, sometimes after a big wet blow the tarps have been compromised and some wood may have gotten wet and brought in to the house. All wood that comes into the house can dry inside for at least one week before it's used. Anyone out their had any experience with a stanley rebuild? There is a large space in back under the smoke pipe. A major hole so I chinked it up, is this the culprit? Do I need to remove this and allow air to enter? thanks sweetheat

I do not know your stove but have had wood cook stoves for 38 years so here is my thoughts. First I think you must have agreat cook stove as most old ones cook well but only hold a fire for 5 or 6 hours.
Right to the chase I think you plugged the wrong hole. Was it a horizontal rectangle. If so it probably was man made not a wear spot. Does your stove not have a damper to close after the fire is going to make the heat go around the oven. That damper probably closed that hole you plugged. Maybe it stopped working perhaps a long time age.
Your short burn times would be due to an air leak through the fire box or fire box door. Have you not had to repare any part of the oven. The oven is usually the first to go on old cook stoves.
If you now have good burn times, good cook top temps and the oven is working well then you could leave it alone and just clean it 4 times a year. Even as I say that I would probably clean out that hole you plugged to see the effect. Hope my ramblings help.

Thanks for your input snowtime. It's a vertical rectangular hole, man made, in back under the smoke pipe. Not a wear hole. The smoke pipe is on top of the stove.
I have not had to fix any parts of the oven. My cooktop temp are reduced by the increased creosote over time. I close a damper on top after I kindle a fire for heat to the oven.
This stove is somewhat air tight when its got new refractory and good gaskets around the doors. thanks sweetheat

When you filled the hole did you check where the damper closes and how tight it is? Do you have a more difficult time starting or is the draft not as good? This could mean that the hole is where the damper closes. Difficult to really determine with out seeing the hole. I would definitely clean the hole out and make sure the damper is working properly IE good fit. These old dampers never cut the heat [air] off completely but make it as good as you can. I would do nothing else at first to see if this does it. Hope this helps

I guess I'll put it back the way it was. It won't take much to knock out some refractory cement. Seems it's there for a reason. Factory's in Ireland. Anyone else rebuilt a stanley? I have good contact when the damper is closed and plenty of draft. It completly redirects the fire from up the pipe to around the oven. Must have been some wet wood that managed to get in. Any thoughts on moisture meters? Any threads about them? How deep into the wood do they penetrate/register? thanks sweetheat

Status
Not open for further replies.