Started as stove talk now thread about marriage, etc...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yeah, my BIL is a heavy equipment mechanic, and coming up on 60 soon. He’s in better shape than me, but he has his aches and pains, for sure. He works on semi tractors and tri-axle dump trucks, mostly undercarriage stuff, where nothing is light.

I sit at a desk all day, so every chance to go outside and abuse my body is a treat, not a chore.
I work on fire trucks and ambulances almost exclusively. Don’t get me wrong I’m in great shape, but my body knows the time I’ve spent doing this profession. I’ve already had bilateral carpel tunnel and cubital tunnel surgeries and I’m sure a rotator cuff is in my somewhat near future.

• Wow
Reactions: Ashful
Yeah, that’s rough. I’ve been in weeks-long projects where an injury or joint starts acting up, and there’s no chance to give in any rest. But I’ve never had that as my year-round job, where the injury just keeps getting re-aggravated every day, year after year.

Having been through shoulder surgery myself I'm sorry to hear that. You can pretty much fully recover, well, 90% at least which is good enough, but it's a long painful road of rest and PT. I have the majority of my motion back except for one specific movement but thankfully it doesn't come into play often.

I'm like Ashful. I'm a pharmacist on my feet all day behind my counter so not the most physical job. Standing up all day can get old but I think I prefer that to a desk. I enjoy getting out there and doing more physical work while I can.

Reactions: all night moe
Don’t get me wrong. I love cutting up and splitting wood, as well as lots of other outdoor physical activities. Some repetitive motions just get to me more than others. Like I stated previously if I over due it or push myself to get something done even though I’m sore, some 800 of advil takes care of it. I’ve never really been a person to just sit stagnant.

I've taken my fair share if ibuprofen. I think I've probably taken a good 10% of this bottle last year myself lol.

• Sad
I'm over the hill at 53 and progressing the next hill. In my early 20s I broke the left side of my body. Ribs, collapsed lung, shoulder & collar bone, tore my arm open (which they wanted to amputate), fractured hip, and a host of cuts and bruises. All from a young and dumb car accident. Drag racing is still in my veins. From there I stopped turning wrenches and started roofing. Eventually that led into tree work from a heating need and supplement work. Climbing included.

I'm still doing the two after mentioned. I don't do meds. They are not at all good for you. Abelite aspirin is a bit better, but I rarely touch that too. I think the key is staying active. I have slowed down and have some really slow days. That's when I feel the most tired .... body wise.
The only other thing that will get me is cold damp weather. That's when I love that dry woodstove heat!

Matt, that may be your ticket to burning wood and a happier marriage.
"But honey, the dry heat sooths my pains." Leave that aspirin behind.

Reactions: weee123 and MRD1985
Matt, that may be your ticket to burning wood and a happier marriage.
"But honey, the dry heat sooths my pains." Leave that aspirin behind.

Man, sorry to hear about the terrible accident, but glad you recovered!!

In my wife’s eyes if I said it is pure manipulation to get what I want.

Taking a lot of ibuprofen will lead to an ulcer. Tylenol (acetaminophen) leads to liver damage. I try not to take either unless absolutely necessary. If I really do need it for fever or extreme pain I go with ibuprofen. I figure with how much alcohol I've drank in my life my stomach is in better shape than my liver!

Nasty stuff, brother.
Look into it.
I'm familiar. It's my profession!

Medications like ibuprofen and acetaminophen (tylenol) are great but in moderation. They aren't designed to be taken every day. Daily or excessively high dosage use will likely lead to complications down the road.

Source: I'm the guy dispensing your meds every month. Step into my office! I'll be here until 6!

I'm familiar. It's my profession!

Medications like ibuprofen and acetaminophen (tylenol) are great but in moderation. They aren't designed to be taken every day. Daily or excessively high dosage use will likely lead to complications down the road.

Source: I'm the guy dispensing your meds every month. Step into my office! I'll be here until 6!

View attachment 322894
Yeah I need to cut back on it. I rely too heavily on it but the aches and pains keep me from sleeping well and from doing what I want to do during the day some times. I also have taken meloxicam (7.5) in very recent past but my kids have been bringing home the plague every week from school so I stopped it as I needed to take the ibuprofen for headaches and fever etc

It's very good at what it does. Just not that great for you long term taking it every day like we talked about. You can mix it up with Rx naproxen (or OTC Aleve), meloxicam, or even a celecoxib for more long term relief.

I try to cut back myself. My mom got an ulcer from daily usage and love of soda and she knew better, she's a pharmacist too. Us healthcare providers are often terrible patients.

Yea, I read your profession post earlier and forgot all about it.
SMH....LOL
Haha I know. I didn't want to give you too hard a time. I got a good chuckle out of your post 😂.

I did look into it though! For 6 years at pharmacy school. And 15 years on the bench. Lol.

Taking a lot of ibuprofen will lead to an ulcer. Tylenol (acetaminophen) leads to liver damage. I try not to take either unless absolutely necessary. If I really do need it for fever or extreme pain I go with ibuprofen. I figure with how much alcohol I've drank in my life my stomach is in better shape than my liver!
My neighbor growing up died from liver failure from taking Tylenol and drinking frequently. She was in her 40's

• Sad
My neighbor growing up died from liver failure from taking Tylenol and drinking frequently. She was in her 40's
There's a very clear max dose a day of acetaminophen you can take before you get liver damage. It's metabolized in your liver by a few different pathways (nerd warning lol): sulfation, glucoronidation, and cytochrome p4502e1 oxidation. After overdosing on Tylenol these processes cannot keep up and you become overwhelmed with a toxic metabolite called NAPQI which builds up and damages the liver.

Over drinking damages your liver itself but also makes it less efficient thereby lowering the dose of acetaminophen you can safely take. Easier to OD.

Acetaminophen OD is really nasty but easily avoidable with proper usage. Just read the labels and don't think you know better than the science. Ask your local someone like me if you aren't sure!

Man, sorry to hear about the terrible accident, but glad you recovered!!

In my wife’s eyes if I said it is pure manipulation to get what I want.
Make her a deal.. Say that you will supplement heat from the fireplace for 1 month and will spend whatever savings in terms of other heat sources (electric/gas/oil) on her. Last year I used over 300 less gallons of oil (granted it was a warm winter) My Feb 2023 Oil delivery was 34 gallons compared to 212 in Feb 2022. You will need to know what you spent Month to Month for the past year or two for it to work, but when the heat turns into $$ that can be a deciding factor.

^^ sorry to laugh at that, Matt.
It's just funny, none the less.