Starting a fire in a Cawley-Lemay, Jotful f602 type stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bkatzman

Nov 7, 2007
Upstate NY
Greetings All,

Hope your buns are toasty...

I have a Cawley Lemay 400, which is the same shape as the Jotul F602, long and skinny. I think they call these North-South style stoves, but not sure...

Anywhoo, I have been reading/watching a lot about how to start fires efficiently, but mostly everything that I have seen deals with "East-West" stoves (wide and shallow). That being said, how do you stack the kindling, wood to start the fire? My first instinct is to put the base pieces north south and then build up east west. Also, what works best to start fires in these types of stoves, top down or bottom up? Just wondering as I have tried a couple of different ways without much success (slow, smokey, collapsing on itself)...

Thanks!
bRYCE

Status
Not open for further replies.