STICKER SHOCK! How much should I expect to pay for installation of a new insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TradEddie

Minister of Fire
Jan 24, 2012
SE PA
I was left speechless last night when I was quoted approx $2300 for installation of a new insert and chimney liner.
Am I way off base, or was the shop? I don't need anything exotic, an insulated liner, blanking plate, assemble the insert and connect. That price didn't even include removal or disposal of my old monster.

TE

I paid more than that for mine in September. I did get an enameled insert, and I consider it one of the better ones, but I did not get a block-off plate. They had to remove the old liner, clean everything out and install the new liner with connections, cap, surround, etc.. I would say that was average.

TradEddie said:
I was left speechless last night when I was quoted approx $2300 for installation of a new insert and chimney liner.
Am I way off base, or was the shop? I don't need anything exotic, an insulated liner, blanking plate, assemble the insert and connect. That price didn't even include removal or disposal of my old monster.

TE

My install for a PE Vista which is a small unit was 3k tip to tail.... That included the liner for the chimney, rockwool stove etc....I've had the house over 70 a lot, and that never would happened if I used oil. $2300 I would say is good....

Sounds like $2300 is install only? If that includes the liner it might not be so bad. Otherwise it sounds kinda steep.

I know how you feel, I got a quote to install a liner yesterday of 800 for labor. I have the liner and just need it dropped in. Also the guy wasn't very informed so I won't be using him.

$1400 for me. 700 for parts, 700 for labor. 23' liner. Yup, much cheaper to do it yourself. If i only found this site earlier.

EJL923 said:
$1400 for me. 700 for parts, 700 for labor. 23' liner. Yup, much cheaper to do it yourself. If i only found this site earlier.

Amen to that! I paid $1100.00 for uninsulated liner(15') and labor. I know , now that is, that I could have done it much cheaper myself.

If thats the best price you can find, at least act like you have others interested in doing the job, and say you will give them the job if they remove your old stove. The liner and insulation is between $700-$900. Block off plate, just guessing $300. So that leaves about a thousand dollars in labor for 2 people working a day at your house.

I checked my records, I paid $2440, but that included the stove and everything. Also, since the liner the stove is warranted, my company will come out free of charge for a repair. I had a chimney-top damper that failed when I just had the fireplace, and they came out n/c.

If this is the deal your guys offer, I would say go for it.

To clarify, that price did not include the stove. $1100 for parts, $1200 for labor. And that was dependent on site inspection, after which which I assume the price would go up.
How hard can it be to do myself? At that price, I could take a week off work and still come out on top.

TE

Our Insert was $2,800 soup to nuts....installed in a couple of hours. A guy my Wife works with was pricing out a stove and installation....not fireplace, so it would be thru the wall stack.....he was quoted $5,800.....I damn nearly fell over.

TradEddie said:
To clarify, that price did not include the stove. $1100 for parts, $1200 for labor. And that was dependent on site inspection, after which which I assume the price would go up.
How hard can it be to do myself? At that price, I could take a week off work and still come out on top.

TE

Well, what size is the flue? How big is the fireplace opening? Which insert are you going to stuff in it? Comfortable working on the roof? A helper is a plus. Plenty here have done it. They will guide you step by step if you need it.

It's a 12x12 flue, fireplace opening is 36"x~32". Access to, and safely working on the roof/chimney is not a problem. Still deciding between a Quadrafire or Lopi, if I can find a dealer with a better price for install, that will probably clinch the deal.

I love DIY and can do almost anything myself, but my free time is precious so if I'm not saving more money than I could make working overtime, I'm happy to pay someone else. I have a suspicion that this is one of those jobs that would take only a few hours, the second time...

TE

I've installed my insert with a 25 foot liner and it only toke me a couple of hours. The hardes part was getting the stove in the house. The liner it self is so light and has only two connection on it ( hose clamps ) getting it down the chimeny was a little hairy as you trying to handle 25 ft of liner on a ladder. Tools needed
Tin snipes,screw driver. Doesn't the old stove have a block off plate. Dynamitebuy.com has some really good deals on every thing u need

TradEddie said:
It's a 12x12 flue, fireplace opening is 36"x~32". Access to, and safely working on the roof/chimney is not a problem. Still deciding between a Quadrafire or Lopi, if I can find a dealer with a better price for install, that will probably clinch the deal.

I love DIY and can do almost anything myself, but my free time is precious so if I'm not saving more money than I could make working overtime, I'm happy to pay someone else. I have a suspicion that this is one of those jobs that would take only a few hours, the second time...

TE
When shopping around for a better price keep in mind there can be big diffences between how the liner gets installed. Things like insulation around the liner and block off plates are extras that some installers will skip to give you a cheaper price, but skipping those things would likely effect the performance of your insert.
This winter season will soon be over, if you think this is something you could do yourself you might be better off waiting till the end of the season and picking up the stove and liner at the end of the season prices and taking your time this summer doing the project yourself. If you take your time and do it right you'd probably end up with a much better job and save money, and be ready to roll for next year. You can get lots of help on this forum, that's what it's here for.

I guess what I'm really asking is whether the material to do the job properly could possibly be as much as $1100, and the labor cost reasonably be $1200? I'd be willing to pay that labor cost if it would actually take two people a full day or more to install.
Anyway, I'm off to see what other places will charge, and also call my regular chimney guy to see if they can do it.

TE

How tall is the chimney?

Approx 25ft, current 12x12 flue in good condition. There is already a "roof" over the stack, so maybe I don't need a cap, although I suppose I need something to hold the liner in place.

TE

Attachments

• Chimney.jpg
    Chimney.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 824
A couple things...

1. Do business with another shop.
2. Do business with another shop.
3. Did I already type do business with another shop?
4. Carbon Liberator makes great suggestions.
5. Parts? Are we working on cars? We need this clarified. Flex liner, rigid, class A, block-off plate, etc.?
6. If you like the stove and price, purchase there. Then take your plastic to the internet and purchase your "parts". This is then followed by hiring a qualified person (certified sweep, you after doing research here, your brother who is handy and has listened to your install instructions) to do your install who won't GOUGE you like the already mentioned stove shop. This can be you with a little more research and knowhow.
7. By researching here, you can and wills save hundreds, maybe thousands. Hearth dealers and stove shops know that the public (excluding hearth.com members) is generally clueless when it comes to stove setups and installs. Because of this, they sell you minimum required venting systems while charging you maximum rates. You can save a couple hundred on the liner, but you can save much more installing it yourself if properly educated.

Sorry, I forgot to add...

The average uninsulated liner cost from the 5 stove shops that I visited was anywhere from $500-$700 dollars. I purchased an INSULATED liner for $400 through a member on this site. The average install cost from those 5 shops, $750-$1,100. Nah, no thanks. I'll read and then install myself with help from my brother.

If that's a straight shot in a 12x12, you'll be able to do your install in a few hours, shouldn't have any trouble dropping 6" pipe. The parts should be well under $1k. Hardest part for me was removing the old damper on the first install, and making a good block off plate on the second. Second one took me maybe an hour or 2, plus the time for the plate. One man job on both installs. Can't tell how high that chimney is above the roof--getting high enough to drop the liner might be the only tough part.

TradEddie said:
I guess what I'm really asking is whether the material to do the job properly could possibly be as much as $1100, and the labor cost reasonably be $1200? I'd be willing to pay that labor cost if it would actually take two people a full day or more to install.
TE

Price out the "parts' at Rockford or other reputable site: http://chimneylinerinc.com/
I can tell you I got bids for my liner-only ranging from $2300 to $2700 for 25' of stainless flex into a 13"x13' flue.

"Parts" from Rockford were $880, and I had to feed Hogwildz to get it installed.

It is definitely a job that will only take a few hours the second time. First time? All-day affair.

Off to look at another shop right now.

TE

I don't know if it is the angle of the shot (the chimney looks like it doesn't clear the top of the roof), but there may be an issue with draft.

A couple of questions to ask the installer:

1) Is their work guaranteed?
2) Do they offer service after the sale?
3) If there is an issue with draft or the install what type of support do they offer?
4) Do they have references from past installs?
5) Will they work to make the customer happy?
6) What type of insurance do they have?
7) As to the cost, I would ask them for the details of why they are charging so much?
Aka: x ft of Class A HT pipe at $y a foot. etc..
8) If you buy the materials yourself how much would it cost?

If you do the install and it is done incorrectly which causes an issue the blame is on you, if they do it and it causes a problem the blame is on them.

You and a buddy can do this if you are moderately handy with tools and pay attention to details. The chimney must be thoroughly cleaned first. Don't skip this step.

Parts will run you about $900-1500 depending on choice of liner material, insulation etc. Even first-class, pre-insulated piping system like Duraliner should come in under $1200.

http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1260

If you do decide to DIY, read up first on the many good posts here about folks installations and check out some of the good videos online. Here's an article on block-off plates for you to check out too.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Why_damper_seal_is_needed/

Status
Not open for further replies.