Stihl 036/ Trade/ What its worth? Got It! (Updated w/Pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DexterDay

My Buddy that I work with owns a Stihl 036 and a 029. He also has a Lopi Liberty (wood) and a Quadrafire CB 1200 (pellet). He bought his CB 1200 a week after I bought mine. He has since not used his wood-stove, sold his splitter, and is currently in the market to sell his saws.

I have been looking to get a 70cc Saw. I know... Its just shy of 70cc's. But its bigger than what I have. He hs a 20" and 24" bar and a couple chains. Like I said before. Since he bought the pellet stove. He has not used the saws. For 3 years, they sat dry on the shelf. I believe its about 7 years old. He lived in the city and bought a lot of his wood, never owned land and fell trees. Neither saw has seen a lot of abuse.

So, I went over there and we put fuel in the 036, Fired right up (4 pulls). He didn't say what he wanted for it, as far as cash. Here is how it went......
I asked what he would trade for??
Him "What will you give me?? (he has NO Wood or Wood Pellets put up this year, But he has been talking about having a sweep come out, and firing the Liberty back up)
I say "I will give you a Cord of Wood and a Ton of Wood pellets.
Him "I might do that, let me talk to the wife"
Me "Ok, let me know" Well he just texted me.. Said if I still wanted it. Its mine. My cheapest ton I bought this year, was $177 plus a Cord of wood (Wood was free, add my time, and gas, so I say $50)

Round it and it would be $225.. So... Is a 036, in Good shape, clean, no broken parts, no faded plastic, with extra bar and chains, worth $225?? Everything I have read, says its a pretty good deal. I dont have a compression tester. I would like to test it, but like I said.. I have worked side by side with this guy (partner at work) for over 10 yrs. Good guy, low hrs on the saw. He is getting close to season, and has NOTHING put up to heat his house. Is he desperate or am I a sucker? All happened kind of fast today? Have always got fast and helpful responses from ya'll,

It would be him picking said items up, no delivery on my end. Should I trade? Or should I try and work a Ca$h Deal, based on what you think its worth? Any help is always appreciated.

Deal! imho. I'd take that deal in hot minute. 036 is a nice mid range saw, & with that few hours, I'd bet it's never been hurt. I've seen the 290's bring more than that used, & the 36 will blow the doors off em. If you don't want the 036 for any reason, I'll give the $ 225.00, & pay shipping no ?'s asked. A C

Grab It.

Read something about ton of pellets and a cord of wood. Didn't read the rest of your post or the other replies...

Take it. Well over three hundred for a really nice example, I'd guess. Just for good measure ask him to throw in the 029 for stacking the cord of wood.

Danno77 said:
Read something about ton of pellets and a cord of wood. Didn't read the rest of your post or the other replies...

Take it. Well over three hundred for a really nice example, I'd guess. Just for good measure ask him to throw in the 029 for stacking the cord of wood.

Don't blame you for not reading. I type entirely to much. Just feel I should explain and give as many details. I figured its a good deal. But I read a thread on the Arborist site, where a guy said he wouldn't give $250 for a used one. I figured $225 is close enough to $250. The MS 360/361/362's all read well. I know there newer than the 036 (replacement), but this one only has around 6-10 hrs Max. He drained the tank when he put it, and it just had fuel put back in it. Honestly... I didnt think it was gonna start. Was Dusty as all get out.

DexterDay said:
Danno77 said:

Don't blame you for not reading. I type entirely to much. Just feel I should explain and give as many details. I figured its a good deal. But I read a thread on the Arborist site, where a guy said he wouldn't give $250 for a used one. I figured $225 is close enough to $250. The MS 360/361/362's all read well. I know there newer than the 036 (replacement), but this one only has around 6-10 hrs Max. He drained the tank when he put it, and it just had fuel put back in it. Honestly... I didnt think it was gonna start. Was Dusty as all get out.
Was only implying that it was such a good deal I didn't need much more info. Is it the greatest deal ever? Probably not, but you did that cord on your own, so that makes it a good deal for the both of you. I can't believe someone wouldn't pay 250 for a good example of a lightly used 036... Must be one of them AS chainsaw snobs.

I’ll give the $ 225.00, & pay shipping no ?‘s asked. A C

REPEAT!

amateur cutter said:
I’ll give the $ 225.00, & pay shipping no ?‘s asked. A C

REPEAT!
I'll give $226 +shipping...lol. (and if you think either one of us is kidding, then send a pm and we'll clear that up)

Yes, do the deal NOW!

There is one on CL here for $600. Don't do that deal. ;-)

wendell said:
Yes, do the deal NOW!

There is one on CL here for $600. Don't do that deal. ;-)

YEP YEP! Just done one myself.

I hope to do the deal this weekend. Pics to follow. As always... Pics... Or it didn't happen. LOL
Thanks again. I figured it to be a good deal. $400 for my 455. So $225 (or roundabouts) for a 68cc Saw seemed like a deal. Trying to get his 029 too. One step at a time. He said he wants to keep one saw. Can't blame him.

DexterDay said:
I hope to do the deal this weekend. Pics to follow. As always... Pics... Or it didn't happen. LOL
Thanks again. I figured it to be a good deal. $400 for my 455. So $225 (or roundabouts) for a 68cc Saw seemed like a deal. Trying to get his 029 too. One step at a time. He said he wants to keep one saw. Can't blame him.

59cc

DexterDay said:
My Buddy that I work with owns a Stihl 036 and a 029. He also has a Lopi Liberty (wood) and a Quadrafire CB 1200 (pellet). He bought his CB 1200 a week after I bought mine. He has since not used his wood-stove, sold his splitter, and is currently in the market to sell his saws.

I have been looking to get a 70cc Saw. I know... Its just shy of 70cc's. But its bigger than what I have. He hs a 20" and 24" bar and a couple chains. Like I said before. Since he bought the pellet stove. He has not used the saws. For 3 years, they sat dry on the shelf. I believe its about 7 years old. He lived in the city and bought a lot of his wood, never owned land and fell trees. Neither saw has seen a lot of abuse.

Actually it's quite a bit shy of 70cc.

I very nearly bought a 362 but I didn't want enough saw. I wanted more saw than I'll ever need.

Why didnt you get a 880 or even a used 090 then -thats the biggest & most powerful 1 man saw ever built.137cc/8.36 cubic inch 13HP 30 lbs.

Danno77 said:
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/c405ecdb5f5ad71588256dee005d16d0?OpenDocument

http://www.stihlusa.com/stihl_ownersmanuals/036_Manual.pdf

Both say 61.5cc

Well I am not gonna sweat 8.5 cc's. Its still a "Little" Larger than my 455. I use my Rancher for EVERYTHING. Lightweight, Decent Power, Etc.

Have never owned a Stihl before. Pretty excited to pick it up. Just hope he still wants to. He is supposed to bring it in to work today. So I can run it through a few Rounds. Just to make sure it all checks out. Then he will come and grab the Pellets and Wood this weekend after work.

You ain't gonna go wrong as long as it is a strong runner with no issues. You could turn around and make an extra $100 if you want to.

Put 13.47 $ in this one and a lot of cleaning....(should not have put a dime in it) ;-)

Attachments

• 036-3 resize.jpg
    036-3 resize.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 472
Snag it...

I couldn't get the local dealer here to go under 250 bucks for a pretty ugly 026...

Really, it's not costing you a penny since you own both the pellets and wood. And I bet if you're smart, you could make up much of that with smart burning. Free 036!

S

thinkxingu said:
Really, it's not costing you a penny since you own both the pellets and wood. And I bet if you're smart, you could make up much of that with smart burning. Free 036!

S

Having spent the money... Yeah.. Its "Kinda Free"... Kinda

He is supposed to bring it in tomorrow. I called him an hour ago and told him to put it in the truck. Said he was doing it..

Oh.... AND.... It may be an even better deal. I have 2 pressure washers. A Excel 2800 PSI w/Honda motor from HD ($700) and an old electric 1700 PSI ($100) from Wal-Mart a couple of years back. Instead of the Wood, He said he may just take the Pellets and the electric Washer. I use the Gasser mainly anyways (More Power). That would let me keep my WOOD... Love that deal even more.

So HOPEFULLY Pics tomorrow.... When I get home from my Sons baseball banquet in the late evening (Around now).

Status
Not open for further replies.