1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Stihl 041 Rebuild??

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Bone1099, Feb 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bone1099

Bone1099 Member

Loc:
    Northwest GA
    I have an old stihl 041 that was given to me. Every thing seems to be in order but i stihl cant get it to run. What should compression be on an average pull. If it is worn out is it worth the money to rebuild. Take into consideration that i can do the rebuild myself. I just want to know if the saw is worth the trouble.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    No opinion on the saw, you might try asking over on arboristsite, but people seem to like keeping old Stihls going at any rate.... I've also seen lots of threads over there dealing with the question of how to troubleshoot them and get them going - especially stuff like common failure modes...

As to the compression, I'm not sure about an exact number, but the first test is to try to pick the saw up by the starter rope handle - if you can pick the saw up on the compression stroke, it's good (be sure the saw WILL turn over, obviously) OTOH if you pick up the handle and the saw stays on the floor it's got problems... In between it's a judgement call...

Gooserider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.