Stihl 041 Rebuild??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bone1099

Jan 5, 2009
Northwest GA
I have an old stihl 041 that was given to me. Every thing seems to be in order but i stihl cant get it to run. What should compression be on an average pull. If it is worn out is it worth the money to rebuild. Take into consideration that i can do the rebuild myself. I just want to know if the saw is worth the trouble.

No opinion on the saw, you might try asking over on arboristsite, but people seem to like keeping old Stihls going at any rate.... I've also seen lots of threads over there dealing with the question of how to troubleshoot them and get them going - especially stuff like common failure modes...

As to the compression, I'm not sure about an exact number, but the first test is to try to pick the saw up by the starter rope handle - if you can pick the saw up on the compression stroke, it's good (be sure the saw WILL turn over, obviously) OTOH if you pick up the handle and the saw stays on the floor it's got problems... In between it's a judgement call...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.