stihl 044

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whatisup02

Feb 3, 2012
MI
What the good or bad, and what's a good price?

There is no bad...... depending on condion $100-$500 is a good price

Ok thanks.

The 044's are great saws. They are becoming older now and the plastic handles are (commonly) breaking. You can buy an aluminum plate for the bottom of the saw (ebay $35.00) and using a short piece of pipe attached to the handle, support the broken handle to the bottom of the saw. Subtract cost for broken handle repair from offer price..I wouldn't go over $350 for an 044 in any condition however.

He wants $320 with a 20" bar or $380 with a new 24" bar and chain. I think im going to offer $350 with both bars. But I dont know if thats high or not.

Reactions: ScotO
He wants $320 with a 20" bar or $380 with a new 24" bar and chain. I think im going to offer $350 with both bars. But I dont know if thats high or not.

I honestly have no idea what it's worth of if it's a good deal or not, but that saw needs at least a 24" bar.

Go for it. If he gives you both bars with that saw at that price, that's a great deal. Like Big Red said, 24" is the better bar for that saw. It'll handle a 28" great, too. A 28 is my bar of choice for all-around cutting. Go big or GO HOME...

Reactions: smokinj
Its a no go for now. He won't come off full price.

Maybe he'll reconsider after he sits on it for a week or two.

It has never been said what condition the saw is in...... $320 with a 20" bar could be a steal.

If it is in good shape 320.00 SOLD!

Sold!

LOL, maybe the seller is on here watchin'. . . So much for your

Reactions: ScotO
Well I'm going to look at it tonight. If it starts and cut good its mine. $370 it is. I hope its the only saw I will need from now on.

Reactions: ScotO and smokinj
Don't forget to check that the oiler operates properly. Sometimes that's why a saw is sold with a new bar!

Well I'm going to look at it tonight. If it starts and cut good its mine. $370 it is. I hope its the only saw I will need from now on.
Oiler is an easy fix.....get the thing or give me the guys number and I'll buy it........lol.....

This sucks. Im going to get the 044 in the morning now but I just found a MS310 and they are asking $200 for it. I dont know to cancel on the 044 for the cheaper MS310. The MS310 is really all I need for firewood but that 044 sure would be fun if I came across some big logs. What to do???

I wish I had the money for both.

If you get an 044, then the only other saw you'd need is a small, lightweight 35-50 cc for limbing. The best would be an ms200T, but that isn't the only choice. There are tons of (cheaper) small lightweight saws out there which can cut small branches. You'll love the 044.... while the 310 isn't anything special. The 310 is too heavy to be great for limbing and too weak to really get down in big hardwood. Of course the 310 would work...just not as well and not a thrill to use...

Status
Not open for further replies.