Stihl 201

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NextEndeavor

Burning Hunk
Jan 16, 2011
Southern Iowa
Anybody know something about these new engines? How does this saw compare to the homeowner MS180 saw?

Well the 201 is Stihls strato 200T replacement. A high revving beast of a little saw that in any form will walk all over the 180.

HittinSteel said:
Well the 201 is Stihls strato 200T replacement. A high revving beast of a little saw that in any form will walk all over the 180.
What value would you place on cost VS. performance? New, the 180 is $200, I don't know what the 201 is. I'd guess quite a bit more. For what it is, the 180 rocks!
Hittin' I totally respect your viewpoints, I just don't see the diffy., between the two.

There is a huge price difference between the 2. Does stihl have a 181 now? That may be what the OP is asking.....to compare the 180 and the 181.

The 180 is a good little saw. The 200 is just a mean little animal.

I’m considering either the Stihl MS 280, or the Husqvarna 460 Rancher.

-Soupy1957

MS180/181 is built to be a Homeowner saw that gets taken out once or twice a year to slice up a limb that fell in your yard. It has a reputation for being am inexpensive, durable saw that will take the abuse of being an arborist's "throw-away" saw.

The MS200/201 (including the "T" versions) is a saw that is a no-compromises pro pruning saw. It is built to be run all day every day by guys that commute to work in bucket trucks.

Want something in the middle? Look at the MS192(T). Has proven to be a great saw for a small limbing or pruning saw.

Stihl is introducing strato-charged engines across it's 2-stroke line-up to comply with newer emissions requirements. Think of strato-charging as EGR for 2-strokes.

MasterMech said:
MS180/181 is built to be a Homeowner saw that gets taken out once or twice a year to slice up a limb that fell in your yard. It has a reputation for being am inexpensive, durable saw that will take the abuse of being an arborist's "throw-away" saw.

The MS200/201 (including the "T" versions) is a saw that is a no-compromises pro pruning saw. It is built to be run all day every day by guys that commute to work in bucket trucks.

Want something in the middle? Look at the MS192(T). Has proven to be a great saw for a small limbing or pruning saw.

Stihl is introducing strato-charged engines across it's 2-stroke line-up to comply with newer emissions requirements. Think of strato-charging as EGR for 2-strokes.

Sorry, but not even close for the analogy. More like a valve-job that was sorely needed. Or replacing a cracked head, where crack was between ports on a 4-stroke.

Stratified scavenging is enormously preferable to cat-mufflers.

Ok so it's little bit of a stretch to call Strato-charging "EGR for 2-strokes" but it certainly isn't akin to major mechanical failures either. The purpose of it is to chase or "scavenge" exhaust gases from the cylinder with a fresh air charge ahead of the regular air/fuel mix. This also buffers the incoming air/fuel charge so that very little if any, of the raw air/fuel charge escapes via the exhaust port as it would on a traditional 2-stroke. (That's what causes 2-stroke smoking.) As a result, the mufflers on strato-charged engines are usually far less restrictive than stock tradtional 2-stroke muffers resulting in an enigine that is less "peaky", has a broader torque curve and wastes less fuel every cycle. A fine alternative to restrictive cat mufflers indeed! This technology's initial impact has been a generation of equipment that is more fuel efficient and cleaner burning, but not much more powerful and usually a tad heavier than the equipment it replaces. I'm sure as the tech matures (it has been around awhile now, on mainstream saws since Husky introduced the 575XP) the saws and other equipment will continue to get lighter and more powerful.

MasterMech said:

X2

It may be intended for that purpose but they certainly exceed it with ease. Mine keeps up very well with my old 041AV Farmboss.
Shares the workload easily, 7+cords a year. Both have 16" bars.

Status
Not open for further replies.